Thermaltake Toughpower XT Series Claims Another World's First

HardOCP News

[H] News
Thermaltake, an award winning state of art PC power supplies, the leader and pioneer in PC thermal solutions, a worldwide designer and supplier of high-performance components to the PC gaming hardware market, with “delivering the perfect user experiences” as our mission, this September Thermaltake is presenting a visionary outlook of the world first efficient high-output power supply unit “The Toughpower XT Platinum & Gold series”, – a rigorous power plant series aiming towards hardcore gamers, DIY enthusiasts, professionals and massive power consumption machines to fulfill every possible condition. The new Toughpower XT Platinum & Gold series is a set of meticulous PC power plants include 1275W Platinum, 1375W Gold and 1475W Gold, are the world first high-output power supply units with 80Plus Platinum and Gold (the highest efficiency levels) certified which can perform up to 94% power efficiency.

Damn that's a hell of an intro! Even Louis XIV was rolling his eyes over here. Those do sound like some impressive units though, I'll look forward to seeing them on the [H] bench.

Hope it doesn't fry itself and your mobo!
(A toughpower did that to me, and the company told me to fuck off)

and what was first?
I don't recall what the first high-wattage Gold-rated PSU was, but I believe the 1200W Enermax Platimax is the first high-power Platinum PSU that you can buy. There are also several other manufacturers with high-wattage Platinum designs that should be available fairly soon.

I expect that these Thermaltakes continue to use CWT as the OEM. They are unlikely to use Seasonic innards in any of their PSUs (at least in the foreseeable future).

I don't recall what the first high-wattage Gold-rated PSU was, but I believe the 1200W Enermax Platimax is the first high-power Platinum PSU that you can buy. There are also several other manufacturers with high-wattage Platinum designs that should be available fairly soon.

enermax, corsair, seasonic, coolermaster, OCZ, sparkle, silverstone all have psu's 1200w or higher that are gold rated.. enermax also has the maxrevo 1350w thats gold rated..

i guess what is the first is that thermaltake has a 1400w+ psu thats gold rated unless theres been one thats come out before though enermax's 1350w is the highest one showing up on newegg.

i've been running a thermaltake Tough power 750w 24/7 for almost 3 years. never had a single issue with it other then the fan on it is completely worthless and causes it to run insanely hot.

Last edited:
I expect that these Thermaltakes continue to use CWT as the OEM. They are unlikely to use Seasonic innards in any of their PSUs (at least in the foreseeable future).
These use a new design from CWT.
enermax, corsair, seasonic, coolermaster, OCZ, sparkle, silverstone all have psu's 1200w or higher that are gold rated.. enermax also has the maxrevo 1350w thats gold rated..
Yes, thank you for telling me things I already know.

I wish the Platinum certification would make its way to the smaller PSUs.

And Thermaltake can say they are the world's first 80+ Platinum PSUs even if it's not true:
When advertising in the U.S., every company can say they are the world's first or best, or better than xxx brand without having to prove it, unlike in Europe.
And they're from Taiwan, so they can probably legally say they are the galaxy's first...

I wish the Platinum certification would make its way to the smaller PSUs.
It has. The first Platinum-rated PSU that you could buy is the Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W. There is also the Kingwin Stryker 500W, which is a fanless version of the same PSU.

I suppose there are some, but I meant affordable too, not $160 when the cheapest PSUs in that range are less than $20.
I know, I know, I should compare to the $105-130 80+ Gold instead, but there's still only 3 such PSUs in that range, so there's almost no competition and prices are still very high.
80+ Gold and Platinum PSUs need to become much more common than they currently are.

BTW, I just checked one of the reviews for that Kingwin PSU, and the manual seemed to be written in Kingwin English... ^-^

I suppose there are some, but I meant affordable too, not $160 when the cheapest PSUs in that range are less than $20.
I know, I know, I should compare to the $105-130 80+ Gold instead, but there's still only 3 such PSUs in that range, so there's almost no competition and prices are still very high.
80+ Gold and Platinum PSUs need to become much more common than they currently are.

BTW, I just checked one of the reviews for that Kingwin PSU, and the manual seemed to be written in Kingwin English... ^-^
Keep in mind these are top of the line PSUs using the newest designs that are out there. In time, manufacturers will figure out how to reach this level of efficiency with cheaper designs and components, but as always, the bleeding edge is more expensive.

Exactly, it's a niche market right now, that's why they can afford to be so overpriced and why I wish it were more mainstream, with only 80+ Gold PSUs or better.
Manufacturers have had years now to produce them, 80+ Gold has not been bleeding edge tech for a long time.

I'm not sure cheaper designs and components will ever cut it, but I doubt they are 7-8 times more expensive and cost an extra $120-140, even the highest quality grade.
People probably think it's not worth it because the ~$40 higher cost compared to Gold PSUs will take 4-5 years running 24/7 to compensate the 2-3% gain in efficiency.
More like 10 years if the computer is running 12 hours a day, so you'll probably burn out and need to replace the PSU during that period. Still a gain environmentally-wise though.

Exactly, it's a niche market right now, that's why they can afford to be so overpriced and why I wish it were more mainstream, with only 80+ Gold PSUs or better.
Manufacturers have had years now to produce them, 80+ Gold has not been bleeding edge tech for a long time.

I'm not sure cheaper designs and components will ever cut it, but I doubt they are 7-8 times more expensive and cost an extra $120-140, even the highest quality grade.
People probably think it's not worth it because the ~$40 higher cost compared to Gold PSUs will take 4-5 years running 24/7 to compensate the 2-3% gain in efficiency.
More like 10 years if the computer is running 12 hours a day, so you'll probably burn out and need to replace the PSU during that period. Still a gain environmentally-wise though.

depends where you live.. for example california, and hawaii that 2-3% gain is huge.. but where i live its nothing since we pay pennies per KWH..

80Plus Gold PSUs have only been around for about two years, and even in that time, they've come down quite a bit in price.

Actually, for over 3 years on Dell servers. Dell and HP were also the first to switch over to the basic 80+ specs back in 2006. And IT is a bitch, so 3 IT years are like 21 human life years... ^-^

@sirmonkey1985 Absolutely, the gain is at least twice higher in states like Hawaii and some other countries. I know it's about 12 eurocents in France, or 16.4 U.S. cents.
I used the average U.S. residential electricity cost of 12 cents/kWh and a 400W system at 90% (Gold) / 92% (Platinum) efficiency rates for a quick computation.
But I see the average nation-wide is already 12.5 cents/kWh or so for the first 6 months of 2011, so long term computations such as these should probably use 15 cents as a basis.

Guess I'm not the only one then. I think mine was a 750w Toughpower unit, and it also killed my motherboard when it died.

Supermicro has been around with 1200W (not sure how new the 1400W units are) Ablecom 1U PSUs for a while. 92-94% efficiency.

Oh, you mean ATX? Super Flower has been making Platinum PSUs for a while.

Guess I'm not the only one then. I think mine was a 750w Toughpower unit, and it also killed my motherboard when it died.

That has been a common problem with the original CWT PSH platform that those early Toughpower PSUs were based on - if they are pushed beyond their practical limit of about 600W or so.

I have had my PSUs for over 3 years now and it has no issues :p.

4 here for me. Thing was solid too. Used it in 8800gt SLi and GTX260 SLI.

Have since moved on too a Seasonic but I really did like the early Toughpower line from them back then.

Back