Mac OSX Lion Bug Circumvents Passwords

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The headline must be incorrect. We all know the Mac OS doesn’t have bugs. :D Users have been reporting that they can log on to restricted LDAP network resources by using any username and password combination. Maybe Apple will not issue a fix for a bug they don’t have. :p

Bottom line, if you use LDAP for authentication, and you have clients using 10.7 ‘Lion’ then this is a pretty big deal.

SHUT UP! It can't be known that Apple has ANY problems. It's the most secure and stable operating system out there. And it can play games: it has Steam. Damn you! DAMN YOU TO HELL! Apple is God, and is perfect in all it's forms!

It'll be brushed off as minor and insignificant by Apple, or some excuse....

Or maybe it'll just be fixed.

I'm sure it will after a few weeks of Apple denying the problem and then quietly patching it as though it were never an issue.

Apple better stay on its knees and hope that hackers don't start butt fucking the hell out of OS X, especially with Jobs gone now as they won't have that extraordinary cheerleader making all the flaws and bugs just go away by waving this magic wand.

Apple users don't need security. Their faith and prayers to Steve Jobs will protect them.

I'm sure it will after a few weeks of Apple denying the problem and then quietly patching it as though it were never an issue.

Apple better stay on its knees and hope that hackers don't start butt fucking the hell out of OS X, especially with Jobs gone now as they won't have that extraordinary cheerleader making all the flaws and bugs just go away by waving this magic wand.

Why are you going all santorum on Apple's butt? You're sort of freaking me out.

Why are you going all santorum on Apple's butt? You're sort of freaking me out.

Just pointing out that if malware developers really wanted to attack OS X it's screwed given Apple's current attitude about security.

Just pointing out that if malware developers really wanted to attack OS X it's screwed given Apple's current attitude about security.

And yet, even with all the trolls and idiots out there, nobody's succeeded in doing it "for the lulz" on any really important scale.

With all the hate and vitrol spewed in Apple's direction by the "PC elite", and with the rather pervasive attitude of hacking/virus/malware writing "Because it's there", and with a 10% market share, you would think someone would have done so already, even if only "for the lulz!". But there really has only been one "big" attack, and it was fixed quickly, and when the malware folks rewrote it, Apple fixed it again, quickly.

Yep, it has been 10+ years and I'm still waiting for all of the OS X malware. Where the hell is it? LOL

This issue probably affects only a very small number of users. I'm sure Apple will have it fixed quickly.

After 10 years, how much is the marketshare? Last year OSX reached an all time high of 10%. This year, they dropped to 7%. Not worth it.

If this was Windows, it would be called a "security vulnerability". Why is it called a bug on OSX?

And yet, even with all the trolls and idiots out there, nobody's succeeded in doing it "for the lulz" on any really important scale.

With all the hate and vitrol spewed in Apple's direction by the "PC elite", and with the rather pervasive attitude of hacking/virus/malware writing "Because it's there", and with a 10% market share, you would think someone would have done so already, even if only "for the lulz!". But there really has only been one "big" attack, and it was fixed quickly, and when the malware folks rewrote it, Apple fixed it again, quickly.

They don't do it because there is nothing "large scale" about OSX. It's called security through obscurity.

They don't do it because there is nothing "large scale" about OSX. It's called security through obscurity.

~8-10% of market share, and an average customer base that is security oblivious, AND has more descretionary income (they bought a mac after all!), hardly seems like a crappy target.

And again, with all the hate and vitriol spewed towards Mac by the "PC enthusiast" crowd, which includes the rather vocal subset of people who actually write malware/etc, if it was easy, someone would have done it, just to "Put Apple/Mac in their places". And yet, there still isn't any.

Security by Obscurity can only carry this argument so far. ~1 in 10 personal computers are Apple's. That's not that obscure, and more to the point, combined with how many trolls out there who love to watch things burn, if it was easy SOMEONE would have done it already.

It is my contention that the lack of virii/malware can not be blamed on "security by obscurity" when 10% of the market is your product. Especially when the people who would be responsible for destroying that security have, in general, a bias against your product, and frequently have the personality that would love to destroy it, just because they can.

~8-10% of market share, and an average customer base that is security oblivious, AND has more descretionary income (they bought a mac after all!), hardly seems like a crappy target.

And again, with all the hate and vitriol spewed towards Mac by the "PC enthusiast" crowd, which includes the rather vocal subset of people who actually write malware/etc, if it was easy, someone would have done it, just to "Put Apple/Mac in their places". And yet, there still isn't any.

Security by Obscurity can only carry this argument so far. ~1 in 10 personal computers are Apple's. That's not that obscure, and more to the point, combined with how many trolls out there who love to watch things burn, if it was easy SOMEONE would have done it already.

It is my contention that the lack of virii/malware can not be blamed on "security by obscurity" when 10% of the market is your product. Especially when the people who would be responsible for destroying that security have, in general, a bias against your product, and frequently have the personality that would love to destroy it, just because they can.

Afraid it isn't trolling.

OSX has fallen faster every single year at the various hacking conventions. So just because someone hasn't bothered attacking them large scale, doesn't validate your argument. Facts are facts and the facts show year after year that OSX is unquestioningly the most insecure OS.

Oh and I am not a PC fanboy, I happen to love OSX, I just recognize that it is hardly secure.

Not Sure how this makes OS X an attractive target especially considering the number of businesses, big money and personal information warehouse businesses like banks that have Windows machines by the millions, some of which are Macs running Windows.

You can't possibly be arguing that the lack of OS X malware is because of OS X's robust security when time after time it's been shown that OS X's security is no better than Windows and it's arguably not as good.

Back