Officer Suspended After Illegally Downloading Movie

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are a cop, it is probably a bad idea to download a pirated movie...to your car....while you are on duty. :eek:

It seems that the offending officer — whose name is conveniently not being released — was working a rather slow beat on May 18, and decided that the Owen Wilson movie Hall Pass would be a good way to pass the time. Unfortunately, the film wasn't scheduled to be released on DVD until June 14, so he put his investigative skills to the test and found it on an illegal download site.

"the file contained not only a less-than stellar comedy, but also a virus which put the officer's laptop on the fritz. After unsuccessfully attempting to wipe his misdeed from the device, he asked for help from his station's IT department."

Hahaha. Also, so far, he's not getting in trouble at all for the actual act of downloading the movie. Figures.

Pretty sure pistol whipping crackheads robbing 7/11s does not require the same skillset as safely pirating media.

Only suspended? Shouldn't he do [H]ARD time. and pay, $50,000 per title?
This probably ins't the only thing he has downloaded if he knew how.
Did his home get raided and his Machines get picked through?

He is probably the nicest cop on the force.

Only suspended? Shouldn't he do [H]ARD time. and pay, $50,000 per title?
This probably ins't the only thing he has downloaded if he knew how.
Did his home get raided and his Machines get picked through?

He is probably the nicest cop on the force.

Your acting like this is some sort of cover up when in fact his supervisors did their job, now if the MPAA decides to go after him that's their responsibility not this officers supervisors.

As for this officer, I don't think he should be fire for downloading a movie, but maybe he should be for showing a total lack of judgement as well as conduct unbecoming (basically the same reason the officer caught having sex on the car should be fired for.)

Subtle but important difference.

on company resources. They have every right to suspend/fire him. Id expect that would be my punishment if I did the same.
Hell, he probobly could have killed someone by accident and only been suspended, there is no way he'll be fired for this.

6 days suspension? I could swear I've seen stories where they've gotten less for improperly beating the crap out of minorities. ;)

Your acting like this is some sort of cover up when in fact his supervisors did their job, now if the MPAA decides to go after him that's their responsibility not this officers supervisors.
That's not how the MPAA works. When employees on the clock use company resources to pirate, they go after the company, not the employee. Not sure if they have the cojones to sue the entity that gives them so much power and allows them to use their officers like their own employees though.

...for improperly beating the crap out of minorities. ;)
What is the officially approved proper way to beat the crap out of minorities? I know its all in the wrist and you want to contact the tip of the baton, but I didn't realize it was so formalized.

That's not how the MPAA works. When employees on the clock use company resources to pirate, they go after the company, not the employee. Not sure if they have the cojones to sue the entity that gives them so much power and allows them to use their officers like their own employees though.

The point is that it's the job of the copyright holder to file a complaint related to it's violation not this man's supervisors.

on company resources. They have every right to suspend/fire him. Id expect that would be my punishment if I did the same.

If that was actually enforced, I'd wager a good 30% of the American workforce would be out of the job.

What is the officially approved proper way to beat the crap out of minorities? I know its all in the wrist and you want to contact the tip of the baton, but I didn't realize it was so formalized.

and then after you gain enough momentum, thud. technique often forgotten

Aren't they already?

Touche

I can't tell you how many times I see zshare, megavideo, vidxden, putlocker, etc. in our logs for shows like true blood and breaking bad. I don't really care though.

It's sad to see commenters in the original article ask to fire the poor guy for something nearly everybody does.
Or maybe they want to fire him because he was not smart enough?

Also, so far, he's not getting in trouble at all for the actual act of downloading the movie. Figures.
He got a few days suspension.

If that was actually enforced, I'd wager a good 30% of the American workforce would be out of the job.

Under most company employee rules, illegal use of the companies computers can get you fired.
Even legal but personal use can get you fired :)

Yes piracy is just as bad as physical violence.
because every time you download a movie illegally, a starving child dies in Africa and a child gets kidnapped for sex for life in Taiwan.

Under most company employee rules, illegal use of the companies computers can get you fired.
Even legal but personal use can get you fired :)

Yeah, that's certainly true...however most companies only actually enforce that on an individual as an excuse to fire them. If I take a stroll around the office, quite literally 90% of people have their Facebook up.

Touche

I can't tell you how many times I see zshare, megavideo, vidxden, putlocker, etc. in our logs for shows like true blood and breaking bad. I don't really care though.
At least it isn't P2P or torrents.

Yeah, that's certainly true...however most companies only actually enforce that on an individual as an excuse to fire them. If I take a stroll around the office, quite literally 90% of people have their Facebook up.

Facebook isn't downloading pirated movies or music. I would fully expect to be fired or severely reprimanded for doing that on a company machine. It isn't just the pirating part, but the fact that you're downloading a damn movie during work hours.

There's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me,
Get him up against the wall.
That one looks Jewish!
And that one's a coon!
Who let all of this riff-raff into the room?
There's one smoking a joint!
And another with spots!
If I had my way,
I'd have all of you shot!

I don't have any desire to watch True Blood, but I just learned that Anna Paquin gets seriously naked in that show :eek: :D I had such a crush on her as child (were about the same age).

I have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions. Do I understand?
Anything I do say may be used against me in a court of law. Do I understand?
I have the right to consult an attorney before speaking to the police and to have an attorney present during questioning now or in the future. Do I understand?
If I cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for me before any questioning if I wish. Do I understand?
If I decide to answer questions now without an attorney present I will still have the right to stop answering at any time until I talk to an attorney. Do I understand?
Knowing and understanding my rights as I have explained them to me, am I willing to answer my questions without an attorney present?

I bet that town feels much safer now that an sinister movie-enjoying cop is not patrolling their streets.

Regardless of his idiocy I hope he can get back to work and learn from this. Some people are completely clueless when it comes to this stuff.

A fellow employee of mine was recently in hot water for streaming a preseason nfl game. The bandwidth used actually effected the entire network of a company that operates in 8 states.

He thought it was ok because the company firewall didn't stop him. :p

While I don't think he should be fired, I am surprised he even did it.
Back in the day one would just barely back up to a pole while in reverse, with a foot on the brake, to kill some time. :p

because it's no big deal when cops threaten pedestrians who have cameras with their guns, but if they download a movie it's a HUGE overreach of power and just unacceptable...

this guy took an oath to serve and protect. if his laptop became unusable from malware and he is unable to do his job, I am sure there is someone else who can take his place and do a better job. zero sympathy for bad cops.

Pirating movies is a lot like smoking marijuana. It's a gatway crime. Next think you know he would have been smoking crack, banging whores, and masterbating on the sides of cars, just like in the movie Bad Lieutenant. It's good they caught this guy early. Who knows what level of depravity this poor soul would have reached without help.

On another note, this movie has to be pretty shitty for a cop to realize its not worth paying for. :D

Back