Law Against Recording Of On-The-Job Cops Is Unconstitutional

HardOCP News

[H] News
The joke used to be "If you see me being beat by the cops, don't try to help, just put both hands on your camera and keep recording!" Thanks to a new ruling by the federal appeals courts, you can once again record the police, without being arrested for it.

A federal appeals court ruled that the people have the right to record police officers when they're on the job in public. A U.S. First Circuit Court of Appeals judge found that a Massachusetts law used to ban such actions is unconstitutional.

Recording public servants in public during the course of their public duties is now legal?

Score one for sanity!

Wow they actually figured out that this made sense.... took long enough.

My surprise is that this law is from Massachusetts, a liberal state.

Stupidity like this is just as likely in a liberal state, as it is a conservative one.

Stupidity does not recognize party affiliation.

The really sick thing about this is how did it ever become law in the first place?

good to see the change. this is one of the things that really stood out as removing our freedom. if cities can put up 100's if not 1000's of cameras and record people simply because they are in public but, to not allow someone to record a cop breaking just screams police state.

The really sick thing about this is how did it ever become law in the first place?

Lobbyists padded campaign fund coffers. Same way as any other law that benefits the tiny few at the expense of the majority. This time I imagine it was the police officers union or one on or more of the fraternal orders that filled up some campaign fund or another.

good to see the change. this is one of the things that really stood out as removing our freedom. if cities can put up 100's if not 1000's of cameras and record people simply because they are in public but, to not allow someone to record a cop breaking just screams police state.

Thus, you have the final goal of a liberal agenda: all the power gradually handed over to the government under the intent of making life better for everyone, only to lead to a very powerful ruling class with everyone else having a poverty lifestyle under a repressive government. This is history from all Communist governments throughout the world. A big government, massive civil law, weak and unenforced criminal law, and abstract currency controlled by the ruling elite leads to nothing but problems for the non-ruling people, and that's what we have today.

The only way is to remove government power to a bare minimum, minimal civil law, strong and enforced criminal law, and currency based off a constant material good, like gold and silver.

Im fucking shocked that a government entity actaully worked FOR the people for a change instead of against it.

Thus, you have the final goal of a liberal agenda: all the power gradually handed over to the government under the intent of making life better for everyone, only to lead to a very powerful ruling class with everyone else having a poverty lifestyle under a repressive government. This is history from all Communist governments throughout the world. A big government, massive civil law, weak and unenforced criminal law, and abstract currency controlled by the ruling elite leads to nothing but problems for the non-ruling people, and that's what we have today.

The only way is to remove government power to a bare minimum, minimal civil law, strong and enforced criminal law, and currency based off a constant material good, like gold and silver.

Goddamn those liberal ninjas and their secret control of all wealth and power. If only the republicans were in power we could take America back.pssssshh....hahahha *whew* sorry I couldn't even type that with a straight face.

Just let me know when Michele bachmann can finish a factual sentence or Jesus actually returns Rick Perry's phone calls or Sarah Palin finally gets off that goddamn bus or the republicans even acknowledge Ron Paul is running....*sigh* we are so fucked.

When I think total government control, I totally think liberals and places like Berkeley! I mean no way conservatives would be so unPATRIOTic an ACT like this at all.

The voting records of both parties does not lie. They both want to take your liberties and your cash in exchange for false security and trinkets. The only difference between the two is the order in which they which they wish to do it. As long as we keep voting for democrats and republicans it will continue to get worse.

As a Massachusetts native, this ruling makes me very proud. Hurray for constitutional protections!

Goddamn those liberal ninjas and their secret control of all wealth and power. If only the republicans were in power we could take America back.pssssshh....hahahha *whew* sorry I couldn't even type that with a straight face.

Just let me know when Michele bachmann can finish a factual sentence or Jesus actually returns Rick Perry's phone calls or Sarah Palin finally gets off that goddamn bus or the republicans even acknowledge Ron Paul is running....*sigh* we are so fucked.

oh yes because the current admin did all they said, let the patriot act expire, repealed other parts, closed gitmo

oh wait, sucker, no they didn't!

The voting records of both parties does not lie. They both want to take your liberties and your cash in exchange for false security and trinkets. The only difference between the two is the order in which they which they wish to do it. As long as we keep voting for democrats and republicans it will continue to get worse.

this. I'm so tired of the right and left throwing spitwads and the call of 'they suck MORE than we do!!' because in the end they all mostly suck. they pander to the masses then stick it in us by taking lobbyist coin non stop

As a Massachusetts native, this ruling makes me very proud. Hurray for constitutional protections!

LOL, it was your state that had the law to begin with. You're proud of all that $$ spent to enact the law then rule it unconstitutional? All that money comes from your state taxes, including the $$ the lawyer will win from your police force.

I'm so tired of the right and left throwing spitwads and the call of 'they suck MORE than we do!!' because in the end they all mostly suck. they pander to the masses then stick it in us by taking lobbyist coin non stop

So what is the solution?

They all say that they want to get the money out of government, but the only way to do that is to get the government out of as much of the economy as possible. The smaller the government, the less need or reason there will be to bribe, I mean donate to elected officials.

The left/liberals in this country want more government, the moderates of both parties just want to get along, so the most they will do is just slow down the march of more government a little. Any time someone on the right tries to shrink government, they are savaged by the left and the media. Any wonder why we are in such bad shape?

The joke used to be "If you see me being beat by the cops, don't try to help, just put both hands on your camera and keep recording!" Thanks to a new ruling by the federal appeals courts, you can once again record the police,
A federal appeals court ruled that the people have the right to record police officers when they're on the job in public. A U.S. First Circuit Court of Appeals judge found that a Massachusetts law used to ban such actions is unconstitutional.

Good thing this wasn't the 9th circuit,
they likely would have ruled you can only record the cops when they are beating a minority.

oh yes because the current admin did all they said, let the patriot act expire, repealed other parts, closed gitmo

oh wait, sucker, no they didn't!

Please people, read a goddamn civics book. The President doesn't have leglislative powers, there are these 535 other men and women who work at this placed called Congress who do that...

For the latest re-authorization, 9 Senate Dems and 2 Repubs voted "nay" while 122 House Dems and 26 Repubs voted "nay". The time prior to that, it was something like 90 Dem/8 Repub "nays" in the House.

Just to give you an example of how retarded the police state has gotten:

The Office of Foreign Assets Control publishes a list of persons/entities that no US person, business or person/business residing in the US can do business with (Specially Designated Nationals list). Part of this list are very old Cuba sanctions; they have very generic Hispanic names on them (ie, Juan Vasquez) and no other identifying information - no DOB, address, etc. Just Juan and he lives in Cuba. A year or two ago, someone proposed removing these names from the list, as they do no real good - and they were immediately lambasted as wanting to remove "terrorists" from a watchlist! :(

OK, so now all those people falsely arrested for recording can now sue them, right?

Well this is certainly pleasing to hear.

Hoping this trickles down to my joke of a state Illinois...

It is atrocious that this was a law in the first place, just atrocious. What is this, the fuckin USSA?

There never was a law against recording video of police.
What city lawyers did was apply a very outdated WIRE TAPPING law in that situation. In other words recording a video of a cop in action was the same as eavesdropping on a private phone conversation. Insane? That was how they were able to drag you to jail.

Actually, the three states that have this law are MA, MD and IL, what do they all have in common when it comes to politics? IL even went so far as to take the expectation of privacy provision out of the wiretapping law after the IL Supreme Court ruled that police officers on the job do not have an expectation of privacy.

As a resident of MA , that makes no sense. The fact that MA is a liberal state should mean that a law like this is of NO surprise.

Liberal/leftist/Democrat ideology tends towards centralizing government authority. Today's leftist have done a job on the word "liberal" and turning its contemporary meaning inside out. The "liberals" of today are completely opposite the classic liberals of the late 19th century and the early/mid 20th century who promoted freedom and liberty.

Well this is certainly pleasing to hear.

Hoping this trickles down to my joke of a state Illinois...

we can only hope

Please people, read a goddamn civics book. The President doesn't have leglislative powers, there are these 535 other men and women who work at this placed called Congress who do that...

For the latest re-authorization, 9 Senate Dems and 2 Repubs voted "nay" while 122 House Dems and 26 Repubs voted "nay". The time prior to that, it was something like 90 Dem/8 Repub "nays" in the House.

if he wanted to make a statement and look like he was being honest, veto it. if he gets overridden he says he I veto'd it blame congress. but its his signature and he actually PUSHED for renewing the patriot act and gave a speech about how necessary it was

This was never the law. This was prosecuting attorney's using the wiretap laws to prevent people from screwing up their cases by making their witnesses (cops) look bad. This was never what the law intended. Judges were dumb enough to allow this crap.

Back