Court Says No Harm, No Foul with Flash Cookies

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It would seem that all of the hoopla over flash cookies was just a flash in the pan, so to speak. One of the many lawsuits brought over the particularly hard to remove cookies, has been dismissed due to no evidence of harm.

While some people are quick to jump on every privacy scare, it seems like the courts are pointing out that just because people freak out about privacy issues, it doesn't mean any real harm occurred.

There's no evidence of them? Or there's no evidence of them collecting personal information?

If it's the former, they're full of shit and obviously don't know squat about computers (which unfortunately is par for the course when it comes to those who decide our laws)

If it's the later, ok sure there's no evidence that they collect personal info, because you're really taking the word of those who collect them... well unless of course you dissect one of these cookies and find all sorts of personal info in it.

That said, I'm happy what the judge did simply because this is Lawyer Pay-Day 101 here, the Class Action... simply sue for the sake of suing, and say all your clients are anyone who uses the internet.

Sooner or later I can see some big deal being made of this though. Good thing Wiener is out of the Senate or he may have to resign; again.

Personally I think people should be allow to easily remove or disable cookies regardless of whether there's any potential harm in those cookies or not.

Just because no one can prove a certain cookie brings any harm, it doesn't mean they should be allowed to make cookies that cannot be removed, that people are forced to use.

How are they hard to get rid of? control panel / flash - disable them isnt it?

Also, should it be the fault of these makers that someone chooses not to know how to use or protect their computer / personal information?

Back