Security Flaw Found in Feds' Digital Radios

HardOCP News

[H] News
The FBI's high-tech digital radios can be jammed by a child's toy. Just lovely, the FBI is thwarted by Hello Kitty. :(

A GirlTech IMME, Mattel's pink instant-messaging device with a miniature keyboard that's marketed to pre-teen girls, can be used to disrupt sensitive radio communications used by every major federal law enforcement agency, a team of security researchers from the University of Pennsylvania is planning to announce tomorrow.

Reminds me of a few years ago when new Air Force equipment was opening and closing garage doors. :p

this is kind of stupid, you can jam P25 with any radio, just key up on the frequency and the heterodyning of the two signals will make the data unrecoverable, jamming communications...

I sense these little toys will be sold out and being shipped off to a lot of 3rd world countries shortly.

this is kind of stupid, you can jam P25 with any radio, just key up on the frequency and the heterodyning of the two signals will make the data unrecoverable, jamming communications...

Yep.. if the fequency is anywhere close to the same frequency and/or strong enough you can pretty much jam any radio communication.

There is about a 1/4 mile stretch on the road I live off of where you absolutely cannot receive any radio signal after dusk. during the daytime it only maostly kills the signal. Whatever is right there will jam anything.

So does that mean the P25 would be susceptible to a Tesla Coil or Jacobs ladder. We built a fairly large Jacobs ladder in electronic class and the instructor warned about the effect on radios and tv, don't know about cell phones, weren't invented then. Not sure about the range or the effect either on modern day equipment. I'm assuming modern day equipment would be more sensitive.

Is that the same as when keying in the mic to talk on a two way?. During bush dutys we were told to always hang the mic up so we wouldn't accidentally sit on the mic.

Back