Take-Two Reports 1Q Net Loss, Weak 'Nukem' Sales

HardOCP News

[H] News
Take-Two Interactive posted a net loss in its latest quarter and the CEO placed the blame on weak Duke Nukem Forever sales.

The New York-based company said it lost $8.7 million, or 11 cents per share, in the fiscal first quarter, which ended in June. That compares with earnings of $26.3 million, or 30 cents per share, a year earlier. Revenue fell 11 percent $334 million, down from $375 million.

Must be funny to post losses in the same quarter you released an extremely hyped and anticipated game that has been in development since 1997. I bet they're all having a good laugh. I know I am.

I hate to say it..but GOOD.

Perhaps Developers will start paying heed to this and other debacles like FFXIV and quit trying to push out shovelware and expect gamers to buy over hyped, over marketed garbage.:mad:

I wonder why? Was it DukeNukems dated graphics? Was it the consolitis? Maybe that it only took me 5 hours to beat the game?

They'll blame it on all the bad DNF reviews.

TBH I would love this studio to go under and their IP picked up by a company that gives a shit about gamers. Take-two are a horrible publisher.

They say DNF is profitable. That shows how little they invested in the game, and it shows.

I do admit it didn't live up to my expectations. The only reason I played further into the game was to hear all the stuff duke says. " I had eggs for breakfast... your mother had sausage"

Eh hate to say it cause I liked old school one, but when I see PC Gamer Score of 80 I knew I didn't even have to waste my time on it. Honestly before that I was pretty excited to have it come out.
Its just sad they ruined good title like that.

I had fun. The later levels were pretty good.. the first hour or more of absolute mind numbing crap was boring as batshit. Not a 'great' game but it was good.

Has DNF hit $10 yet or should I wait a little longer to buy it?

It's about time these crappy games hit them in the wallet where it hurts...

I don't think their numbers reflect how much DNF really cost over the how many years?

In other news, game reviews were shown to have an influence on gamer spending habits. If DNF had not gotten crap reviews it would have sold more regardless of how good or bad the game actually is. Case in point: CoD gets glowing reviews and sells like crazy, HALO games get glowing reviews and sell like crazy, and just about every criticism leveled and DNF is a feature present in those games. If any conclusion should be drawn it's this: Crap that gets a good review will sell better than crap the gets a bad review.

In other news, game reviews were shown to have an influence on gamer spending habits. If DNF had not gotten crap reviews it would have sold more regardless of how good or bad the game actually is. Case in point: CoD gets glowing reviews and sells like crazy, HALO games get glowing reviews and sell like crazy, and just about every criticism leveled and DNF is a feature present in those games. If any conclusion should be drawn it's this: Crap that gets a good review will sell better than crap the gets a bad review.

Shhhh, not so loud. You might upset the poor Halo fans. They think the 2 weapon limit is a feature that requires strategic management and improves game play. Haha

I have the new Duke, and I hate to say it but it's not that good Classic, but that's not good enough now days. I LOVE the Gear Box Developers and everything they do, and I hope that won't hurt them too much.

The problem with Development today is if the actual makers of a game tank, there is a good chance they will go under. Take Two blames all their loses on GearBox now which will really hurt the development studio. I doubt it was only Duke sales, but this way the parent company can squeeze the development studio.

I buy everything GearBox makes, and wish them the best in this bad news situation.

Back