Amazon Cuts Prices on Kindle 3 Signaling New Model?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The price of the Kindle eBook reader Wi-Fi model dropped to $99 with the 3G model dropping to $129 fueling speculation on Amazon’s motive for suddenly lowering prices. Rumors range from a revamped and improved reader all the way to being replaced by Amazon’s upcoming tablet.

More rumors suggest that the Amazon tablet, as it is currently known, may release around October. This could coincide with the reduction of Kindle 3 stock, spurred on by the price reductions.

Hmm, the fiance wants an ereader (specifically the new touchscreen Nook), but I figured the price cut might make the Kindle worth looking at. It would seem that the prices on the Amazon site haven't changed at all though...the Wi-fi version is still showing $139 and the 3G is still $189.

The prices in the article were for refurbed units, which hardly means a price cut for the new units.

Might be because the new Nook and Nook Color are far better devices than the Kindles at the moment.

If this is true, i've been looking to take the plunge on a good e-reader.

Might be because the new Nook and Nook Color are far better devices than the Kindles at the moment.

Better at what? Are you trying to say that if I purchase a Nook Color I will have a better experience reading eBooks than on my Kindle?

Better at what? Are you trying to say that if I purchase a Nook Color I will have a better experience reading eBooks than on my Kindle?

I've had the original Nook 3G, a Nook Color (currently with CM7, but I used it rooted stock for months), and now the Nook touch.

My wife has had the Kindle 2 and has the K3 now.

I think navigating for books, looking up definitions, bookmarking, highlighting, etc is a lot better on the new Nook. Organization leaves something to be desired.

Plus, if you are buying DRM'd books (which I rarely do), you can buy books from pretty much every online bookstore (Kobo, Sony, etc).

That said, thanks to the Agency price fixing scheme, pretty much all mainstream ebook prices are the same across all stores - full MSRP.

I like the Kindle, but until it has the functionality of GoodReader for iPad I'm not tempted to switch.

when the hell is the Nook Color going to drop in price? Was going to buy one for the wife for her B-Day, but now aiming for X-mas. Considering she really just wants an e-reader, might as well just buy her the cheaper Kindle.

Back