Intel Reinvents Transistors Using New 3-D Structure

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel Corporation today announced a significant breakthrough in the evolution of the transistor, the microscopic building block of modern electronics. For the first time since the invention of silicon transistors over 50 years ago, transistors using a three-dimensional structure will be put into high-volume manufacturing. Intel will introduce a revolutionary 3-D transistor design called Tri-Gate, first disclosed by Intel in 2002, into high-volume manufacturing at the 22-nanometer (nm) node in an Intel chip codenamed "Ivy Bridge." A nanometer is one-billionth of a meter.

Haha, yeah May 4, 2011. I guess they forgot to mail Steve about it.

Still a very interesting read!

I think you're right about the breakthrough being old news but I don't think Intel ever hinted towards any specific prodcuts using the technology until this announcment. I have to dig up a roadmap to see when "Ivy Bridge" will ship.

I think you're right about the breakthrough being old news but I don't think Intel ever hinted towards any specific prodcuts using the technology until this announcment. I have to dig up a roadmap to see when "Ivy Bridge" will ship.

March 2012

I think the "news" is at the end of the article. Intel demoed 22nm Ivy Bridge working in a laptop, server and desktop. Presumably these Ivy Bridge chips include 3-D tri-gate transistors although I find the wording of the article slightly vague on that point.

wow, first the revolutionary tri-gate transistor earlier this year, and now a new 3-d structure for tri-gate, im really wanting pics to see how this compares to the tri-gate.

Didn't they make a cpu that can count to ten too? Programming should be easier right?

Back