Google Plus is Already a Solid Hit

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Not even two weeks out of the gate and in closed beta to boot, Google Plus is going like gangbusters. Estimates on the number of users already signed up by invitation run from a conservative one million to a high of five million. Whatever the true number, it has been designated a great success, even with a few small glitches along the way.

Paul Allen, founder of Ancestry.com, a leading genealogy site, suggests, based on his research that G+ may already be closing in on 5-million users. By his preliminary calculations, Allen thinks in G+’s first full week the new social network is growing at a rate of 280%.

You can't really declare this thing a hit that soon. That still means that Facebook has 100 times the user base and recognition. It'll be at least a year I think before we really know where this is going. The key will be how many FB users decide to use Google+.

1 to 5 mil now all you need is 745 more million and you'll have as many as facebook.

Google+ is a bit slow going so far... it seems like the only people I know who post just also happen to work at Google... and since G+'s performance this year is tied to their annual bonus, they have an incentive that I do not....

... if Google wanted to pay me to post as well, then that's a different story!

Google+ is a bit slow going so far... it seems like the only people I know who post just also happen to work at Google... and since G+'s performance this year is tied to their annual bonus, they have an incentive that I do not....

paying ppl will work i mean bing cash back got me to use bing.

I'm loving it. I finally joined Facebook (First kid on the way and first grandkid to carry on family name so I need a way to send information to that side of the family fast. Dad was one of 6 kids.) and Google+ destroys it when it comes to usability.

I find FB to be clunky, slow, and very non-intuitive. Google+ is very intuitive and incredibly fast.

It seems impossible to get in. Even if someone invites you it just tells you that they have reached their signup limit.

Kind of makes one wonder why they are giving out invites at all...

Google+ is very intuitive and incredibly fast.

It's fast for the same reason Verizon's LTE service destroys the competition.... nobody is really using it yet. It's Google though, so I suspect it'll scale fine.

This is the original reason I left myspace for facebook.

My FB page has evolved from a simple/clean/pretty quick interface to a junky page with useless bantering/links/quizzes/photos loading out of frame/a chat bar that eats up 1/4 of my browser...etc

I'm out and giving my "friends" list all invites, whether they asked for one or not.

I wonder if Google+ will crush Facebook.

Anyway, I couldn't care less about this social networking fad.

You really are quite thickheaded if you think this is a "fad", Its here to stay, and really, you seem to hate any type of social networking, wonder if its because you have a couple friends?

Here is rooting for Google+ .. I always wondered why FB was so popular for being a site that looked like it was designed on Geocities circa 1996.

With all those ads and every other second someone sends you a goddamn farmville sheep and extra tractor fuel and all you can think about is combining the two and flinging them back.....

yes its like when ppl though sms was a fad...and so did I
emphasis on "did"

Google Plus is taking off so well because it's new, interesting, and a Google product. Right now its novelty is its biggest draw, since NO ONE really has a full list of friends on it and it's not as mature as Facebook, it's kind of hard to see how the guts of it really work.

I think it's a bit early to be declaring it a hit, but it might be a self-fulfilling prophecy because people always want to have a new toy and it might get enough signups just from a pure interest standpoint.

The problem is that many people won't move, which means many people will either need both, or just say screw it and stick with Facebook.

The problem is that many people won't move, which means many people will either need both, or just say screw it and stick with Facebook.

Yeah, at this point I just don't see how anything can replace Facebook, the real question is how willing people are to deal with multiple social networking sites. LinkedIn carved a niche for itself so that's why people were ok with adding it to their portfolio of sites.

"280%" is not a rate. They need to add a per unit of time. Yay for internet "journalists."

I really like Google+, so far. I've invited about twenty of my friends, family and coworkers. I like it because the services are so simple. Share text, pictures, video, web sites. EASILY organize groups of people into "circles," giving you much better control over who see what. Preview your profile from the perspective of any member of your circle, just to be certain that what happened last weekend stays... in the circle.

Facebook disgusts me. I can't stand all the garbage my "friends" are permitted to dump on everyone.

Google+ is all of the social and none of the bathroom wall.

Here is rooting for Google+ .. I always wondered why FB was so popular for being a site that looked like it was designed on Geocities circa 1996.

With all those ads and every other second someone sends you a goddamn farmville sheep and extra tractor fuel and all you can think about is combining the two and flinging them back.....

Sounds more like you tried out Farmville then if your seeing all that. Just click the little X next to the post and then click block Farmville or what ever the game is, pretty simple really.

Personally I don't see G+ going far unless they get some games to add like the stupid FB ones.
Plus the only reason Google is doing this is because FB took a lot of advertisers from them and now they mad, lol.

I think people used to think the same thing about www.myspace.com.

I disagree, I just didn't think it would be a complete transfer from myspace to FB so fast. It seemed to happen over night.

Google+ will destroy facebook if it prevents the updates from games, quizes, party lines, and other stupid advertisements 99% of users don't want to see. The only way I can stomache facebook is with 90% of my friends list on ignore.

I've been enjoying Google+ so far. Did a hangout the other day and it was fun. I know it's just group video chat but it worked very well. Two friends of mine did a hangout with two people and two camera views per person.

Don't think it's a fad, it's pretty much revolutionized communication.
Yes it certainly does. Although I don't think its always in the right direction.

See in the past people use to call up their friends or send a card to wish them happy birthday for example. Now all we get is just a bunch of message on our Facebook wall.

Maybe I'm just showing my age, but I actually still call someone up or at least send them a text message to wish them happy birthday, as I feel its on a more personal level instead of leaving just another message on their Facebook wall.

I disagree, I just didn't think it would be a complete transfer from myspace to FB so fast. It seemed to happen over night.

Google+ will destroy facebook if it prevents the updates from games, quizes, party lines, and other stupid advertisements 99% of users don't want to see. The only way I can stomache facebook is with 90% of my friends list on ignore.

im having a gut feeling that google+ is nice now (just like FB was before they introduced a massive load of games and other plugins), but in reality that is what alot of people enjoyed on FB (the masses), so if google+ is going to get that sheer amount of people of FB, pretty soon they will be introducing the same sensless shit we deal with everyday, now if they, both them and FB can do something about it, like, let the masses enjoy their shit without affecting people who don't like that shit. FB may retain their userbase and/or google will get most of the people of FB (like its needed,lol)

Yes it certainly does. Although I don't think its always in the right direction.

See in the past people use to call up their friends or send a card to wish them happy birthday for example. Now all we get is just a bunch of message on our Facebook wall.

Maybe I'm just showing my age, but I actually still call someone up or at least send them a text message to wish them happy birthday, as I feel its on a more personal level instead of leaving just another message on their Facebook wall.

I definitely have similar feelings. Unfortunately technological advancement (if that's what social networks are) tends to lead to this.

My FB page has evolved from a simple/clean/pretty quick interface to a junky page with useless bantering/links/quizzes/photos loading out of frame/a chat bar that eats up 1/4 of my browser...etc

I'm out and giving my "friends" list all invites, whether they asked for one or not.

Ditto. I also cleaned the fuck out of my "friends" list. Basically, if I've never met or interacted with you in the past outside a social networking service, you go right to the "Blocked" Circle.

None of that Facebook Pokemon crap on my end, and I'm not going to facilitate it on the other end.

Downside is, turns out I only know eleven people. :)

Facebook is fine, after two weeks when i blocked 99% apps. Was fine.

I've been using Google+ for a week now and I already love it. It has far more features than facebook and the UI is cleaner, and simpler. Also, I don't get that dirty feeling I get when I use Facebook. I also like how it integrates into my google account way better than facebook, which makes sense since it's ..made by google.

I'm inviting everyone I know and I STILL HAVE MORE INVITES TO GIVE OUT.

If you need one PLEASE e-mail me at Nerv62 at Gmail.com. I will keep sending them out as long as possible.

How can it be a success when its still a beta and the only real draw is the hype and the newness? Until people quit facebook en masse to use Google+ in a live fully deployed environment, its not a success.

You can disable the bar, and you can also block all those things you do not like. You mean to tell me the gmail bar does not bother seeing as how it also eats up the quarter of the screen?

Yes and what will they do with their incentive? I can tell you what. They will start making sure google + automatically is put on every android device, the same way M$ did with IE. And they will use that market share to erode face books dominance. In the past google had nothing other than search to use as a leverage tool but due to M$ screwing up with being so late on windows phone 7 they now have the key leverage they need to do anything they want.

Back