Private Google+ Profiles Are No Longer Allowed

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you have a your Google+ profile currently set to private, on July 31st it will be deleted. You have until then to make your details available and switch your account to public. :eek:

The purpose of Google Profiles is to enable you to manage your online identity. Today, nearly all Google Profiles are public. We believe that using Google Profiles to help people find and connect with you online is how the product is best used. Private profiles don’t allow this, so we have decided to require all profiles to be public.

Keep in mind that your full name and gender are the only required information that will be displayed on your profile; you’ll be able to edit or remove any other information that you don’t want to share. If you currently have a private profile but you do not wish to make your profile public, you can delete your profile. Or, you can simply do nothing. All private profiles will be deleted after July 31, 2011.

Wow, that didn't take long. That's a pretty big F U to early adopters, I would think.

I guess they wanted Facebook to have the bigger marketshare. Very nice of them.

the whole point is that they don't want to be facebook. it's for social networking, not social cliqueing.

Really, my FB profile is private (invite only) and it has been that way since day one and will always be that way.

So much for using Google+.

memes-scumbag-google.jpg

the whole point is that they don't want to be facebook. it's for social networking, not social cliqueing.

Wow, ok. So, since people are still going to network with who they want to network with, how would that change anything? Now it will be easier for those left out to watch?

From day one of hearing about Google+ I've been pretty convinced it's going to fail miserably. First off the name just plain sucks, it's horrible. Secondly Google just never seems to polish these things the way they should. I think it's going to be just another in the massive list of those failed Google projects that fade off into the darkness.

I was convinced that Google+ was going to fail, but now i know it will.

Actually, I'm in it, and I kind of like it. It is like a mesh between FB and Twitter. Also, I don't have a problem with profile going public, it isn't like everything on your profile is public. You can still set individual items to be shared or not. Basically only your name, profile picture and public posts (posts you marked as public) will be public. Not a big deal IMO.

Google: "we fixed the privacy issues... by not allowing you to have any privacy at all."

Wow, ok. So, since people are still going to network with who they want to network with, how would that change anything? Now it will be easier for those left out to watch?

people who actually want to NETWORK will use it. at this point, facebook is just a means of communicating with friends. think linkedin.

I'm using Google Plus... but not that much since hardly anyone I know uses it. Only a handful of people. The one thing I just never understood with these types of releases is the whole beta concept. It seems that whenever these products have an early invite-only beta release, the hardcore would-be adopters realize it sucks, and the product never takes off. Google obviously has the resources to fully develop and polish one of these products prior to release, so why not do that? You can always make changes later if absolutely necessary.

It just seems that any of the problems with these types of sites are extremely obvious to everyone on the first day, and had the problems been corrected prior to any public release, the product may have had potential, but once people waste their time checking it out only to discover the dozens of flaws, it's hard to gather a lot of excitement for any future launches. (mega run-on, but I'm not correcting it).

so it will probably be banned or blocked here in Canada since we have all these new fancy privacy laws...they should spend some time getting chrome browser on android or something useful and productive

they keep this up theyll be the next RIM

Why do people care when it is ONLY name and gender? That doesn't even include location...

Really the *only* privacy thing I wish they would add would be different profile pictures for different Circles

"You don't get something for nothing" If your too private, how is Google going to market to you or allow third party's to do so. Better to get this out in the front now then the bad karma that comes with having to explain to you the truth later.

Note that they say Google Profile, *not* Google+ Profile, unless I'm reading the article wrong. Everyone with a Google account has a Google Profile and has for a while, it's not related to Google+. You can find yours at http://profiles.google.com/<Your Google account here>.

Unlike my Facebook profile, I have left my Google profile public and just ensured it has a minimum of damning information on it, while having a few tidbits so that those who do actually know me can verify that it's me.

Why do people care when it is ONLY name and gender? That doesn't even include location...

Really the *only* privacy thing I wish they would add would be different profile pictures for different Circles

This. OMG, someone might be able to find my gender on the Internet. Stop violating my privacy!

I fail to see the point of using social networks if people cannot search for you by name.

Note that they say Google Profile, *not* Google+ Profile, unless I'm reading the article wrong. Everyone with a Google account has a Google Profile and has for a while, it's not related to Google+. You can find yours at http://profiles.google.com/<Your Google account here>.

Unlike my Facebook profile, I have left my Google profile public and just ensured it has a minimum of damning information on it, while having a few tidbits so that those who do actually know me can verify that it's me.

Uh....... the link leads you to google+'s help. I would think it has to do with google+'s profile. I could be wrong, but that makes more sense to me.

And oh yea... if this is indeed google+, then it's gonna fail, imo.

Damn no edit..... damn it all.

This. OMG, someone might be able to find my gender on the Internet. Stop violating my privacy!

I fail to see the point of using social networks if people cannot search for you by name.
Exactly. If you want a profile that nobody sees, why even have it on the internet? Just have it hanging on a wall in your house.

Keep in mind that your full name and gender are the only required information that will be displayed on your profile; you&#8217;ll be able to edit or remove any other information that you don&#8217;t want to share.

If you want a private closed communication system, use skype. If you want a SOCIAL network, you need to let people see your name and gender.

people who actually want to NETWORK will use it. at this point, facebook is just a means of communicating with friends. think linkedin.

You can network with family members and friends? Not that hard of a concept to grasp. Take YouTube for example. Lets say I posted a video of my little girl's birthday party in Facebook for my friends and family to see. I'd get a bunch of aww's and she's so cute! and Happy birthday!! and so on, but in an open network ala YouTube, it'd be a bunch of asswipes who make snide comments about her and all of your friends and relatives' comment would get lost in the flood of other comments.

NAME and GENDER only. So you are findable.

I stand corrected. If it's just name and gender, then meh, whatever. If they mean to strip privacy entirely, then what I said in my previous post remains.

You can network with family members and friends? Not that hard of a concept to grasp. Take YouTube for example. Lets say I posted a video of my little girl's birthday party in Facebook for my friends and family to see. I'd get a bunch of aww's and she's so cute! and Happy birthday!! and so on, but in an open network ala YouTube, it'd be a bunch of asswipes who make snide comments about her and all of your friends and relatives' comment would get lost in the flood of other comments.

Thats because YouTube is a cesspool of idiots. I don't even allow comments on my videos anymore.

right, you've outlined the difference between communicating with people you know and networking. networking implies contact with strangers.

Basically, if you're on a SOCIAL networking service and complain when then try to get you to be social, the point is obviously lost on you.

It's opt-in, don't like? Don't use, don't whine! :) at least not excessively...state your point and let it alone and you're OK in my book.

I say go Google. Facebook is the new housing bubble, it's plainly obvious to those paying attention. They've been on the downward track for a while, getting too convoluted and difficult when it should just be easy and work!

right, you've outlined the difference between communicating with people you know and networking. networking implies contact with strangers.

Not quite. Networking means to share information among groups of people having common interests. The whole of the internet does not have common interests as mine.

full name and gender...

hmmm

how many choices do they provide for gender I wonder

Google already has a social network that you are allowed to make your details private -- it's called Orkut and has been around for ~ 10 years.

Facebook is the new housing bubble, it's plainly obvious to those paying attention. They've been on the downward track for a while, getting too convoluted and difficult when it should just be easy and work!

yep. myspace all over again. the new image viewer script is the point of no return, imo. it's completely awful.

Not quite. Networking means to share information among groups of people having common interests. The whole of the internet does not have common interests as mine.

uh, yeah. this implies sharing your interests with people so, you know, they can REALIZE you have common interests?

there's nothing wrong with keeping private stuff private but that's not social networking.

Basically someone at google could not find the person they were stalking because their profile was private . This will also makes it easier for him to also stalk even more women. Since they all seem to hide from him online.

Back