F.E.A.R. 3

strangely not in any hurry I'm still trying to find time to play FEAR expansions and FEAR 2

I'm definitely looking forward to this one. Not sure if Ill shell out 60 bucks for it tho so I may end up waiting til it comes down a little but Ill definitely be buying it soon.

I definitely want it. I just got around to playing both games and the expansions a couple months ago from a Steam sale sometime last year, heh. I actually thought the 2nd one was decent, not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be on here. I don't think it looked worse as other people claim too, it just has a different style to it. I actually thought it looked better because if you go back and play the first ones, there's some pretty low texture quality on in some areas and the color banding is pretty bad too (played totally maxed with rig in sig @ 1920x1200).

Anyways, having said that, I'm looking forward to playing this, but I doubt I'll spend $50+ on it. Only a few games warrant that cash from me a year and unfortunately they're already chosen unless this game somehow pulls perfect reviews everywhere I see.

i'm not in a hurry to get it, but i'll definitely be getting it at some point. trailers look pretty good so far.

strangely not in any hurry...

me either...I played the first F.E.A.R. game and its 2 expansions (Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate) but didn't bother with F.E.A.R. 2...I'm hearing mixed things about F.E.A.R. 3...I had it pre-ordered but cancelled it recently...I'll wait to read some reviews and then decide

My gaming budget is too tight already, with Rage, Skyrim, Serious Sam 3 and potentially Battlefield 3. The first 3 are games I will certainly buy at full price, with Battlefield 3 getting a definite maybe (depending on the single player campaign).

So I'm going to wait on this one...

My gaming budget is too tight already, with Rage, Skyrim, Serious Sam 3 and potentially Battlefield 3. The first 3 are games I will certainly buy at full price, with Battlefield 3 getting a definite maybe (depending on the single player campaign).

So I'm going to wait on this one...

yup that too...too many must-buy games coming out in the next few months- the ones listed by Silus along with Arkham City, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Modern Warfare 3

Silus: if you're buying Battlefield 3 for the single player then you're going to be disappointed...the Battlefield series is and always has been a multiplayer game...you might want to look into MW3...even though MW3 is also primarily a multiplayer game it will probably have a better single player campaign then BF3

Last edited:
yup that too...too many must-buy games coming out in the next few months- the ones listed by Silus along with Arkham City, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Modern Warfare 3

Silus: if you're buying Battlefield 3 for the single player then you're going to be disappointed...the Battlefield series is and always has been a multiplayer game...you might want to look into MW3...even though MW3 is also primarily a multiplayer game it will probably have a better single player campaign then BF3

I know, that's why I have a "maybe" for Battlefield 3. I'm excited for the graphics, but I just can't justify buying a game at full price for just the graphics, since I'm not a big fan of Battlefield's multiplayer component. Have BF1942 and BF2, which I played for quite some time, but never really got into it. I played mostly because most of my friends all liked it a lot (especially 1942). Tried BF2142 but didn't like it (I preferred Quake Wars). BFBC2 was a bit better, but the single player experience was mediocre at best.
So that's why I'm on a "maybe" with BF3. I certainly won't buy it because of the multiplayer and not @ full price just because of the graphics, so I need to see if the single player convinces me enough or not.

As for MW3 I'm done with CoD games ever since the first Modern Warfare. I don't really like games that give me absolutely no freedom and CoD is one of them. I would rather buy BF3 just for the graphics (which is something I don't intend to do as I explained), than to buy another CoD game! But thanks for the suggestion :)

i really loved FEAR and its expansion packs. Can't say the same about FEAR 2 though, I think I'm halfway through the SP campaign, and then got distracted by Brother In Arms during a sale on Steam and haven't return to FEAR 2 since.

I really hope to hear comments like FEAR 3 is way better than FEAR 2 once its released.

FEAR 2 was alright. SP was pretty solid. MP I actually got into more than I expected. If FEAR 3 is at least as good or hopefully better than 2 I'll be happy.

I liked FEAR 2!. It was a great step forward, story wise. Gameplay was pretty much the same, with the addition of "mechs". Also, it was insanely scary in some parts. The school level was the only game level I ever finished sweating with shills down my spine...and I play AvP 2 with the marine without problems or Undying without breaking a sweat! It was THAT intense :)

Yeah, I do agree the horror element in FEAR 2 was scarier actually, improved a lot from previous title.

Its just something about the control that is bugging me, and at times the combats does feel a little too easy.

I actually enjoyed FEAR 2 more than 1. I guess the immersion of 2 helped out a lot & I always have a blast with the bullet time.

Pre-ordered. Thanks!

Got the whole collection too for $9.99 - good stuff - no more CDs n shiz.

I liked FEAR 2!. It was a great step forward, story wise. Gameplay was pretty much the same, with the addition of "mechs". Also, it was insanely scary in some parts. The school level was the only game level I ever finished sweating with shills down my spine...)

That's funny, I thought the exact opposite :) I thought the story and the scares went to shit in 2 (compared with 1, rather than the 3rd-party expansions), and while I was expecting the school level to be great it turned out to be nothing more than what was in the demo which was a big disappointment. I thought 1 was much more effective for being so understated whereas 2 was just endless cheap shocks. Just like Dead Space, except not as awful in all other respects. 3 looks like it's just more of the same. Lots of bad guys who must be really nasty because they look up from under their furrowed brows all the time.
And let's not forget F2's laughably bad ending. But at least it had fewer indistinguishable office sections than the original, I'll give it that.

strangely not in any hurry I'm still trying to find time to play FEAR expansions and FEAR 2

I wouldn't waste time with the expansion packs... they're not that great. FEAR 2 on the other hand is pretty decent, but it definitely has that "console friendly" feel to it.

That's funny, I thought the exact opposite :) I thought the story and the scares went to shit in 2 (compared with 1, rather than the 3rd-party expansions), and while I was expecting the school level to be great it turned out to be nothing more than what was in the demo which was a big disappointment. I thought 1 was much more effective for being so understated whereas 2 was just endless cheap shocks. Just like Dead Space, except not as awful in all other respects. 3 looks like it's just more of the same. Lots of bad guys who must be really nasty because they look up from under their furrowed brows all the time.
And let's not forget F2's laughably bad ending. But at least it had fewer indistinguishable office sections than the original, I'll give it that.

i think the difference between 1 and 2 and what people see is that when FEAR 1 came out it was completely different. there wasn't any other game out there that remotely resembled the game nor had the style of play. by the time FEAR 2 came out there was already 5 or 6 games that had stolen the whole "scare" tactic of FEAR 1 not to mention most gamers were use to it after playing FEAR 1 so FEAR 2 gets held at the same level as fear 1. people asume its less scary and the story is cheesy but don't notice the differences.

i thought the same thing, i thought FEAR 2 was total crap. so i decided to have one of my friends play FEAR 2 that hadn't played FEAR 1. he played about 4 or 5 levels of FEAR 2 scared out of his mind. then i had him play FEAR 1 and he thought it was a complete joke and wasn't scared in any of it even though i was scared out of my mind when i played FEAR 1 the first time and thought FEAR 2 was a joke. it all depends on how your brain preceives it and the fact that you have played FEAR 1 and probably other games that use the same game play style you become desensitized to it.

Again, decisions, decisions...weren't we all just here making the same decision on whether to buy another new "LET'S-HOPE-AND-PRAY-IT'S-LIKE-FEAR-BUT-WE-ALL-KNOW-IT'S-NOT-FEAR-GAME?"

I will probably buy it :)

I tried getting my old Disposable Heroes Clan back for FEAR 2...won't be trying this time, sad to say.

As I explained, I liked it. And not everything was better scare factor wise, when compared to the first, but the school level was extremely well done and intense.
And I liked the ending, in terms of how the story developed to a point that creates a cliffhanger for a third game. It developed the characters from the first game, which is something very rarely seen in games nowadays.

I liked FEAR 1 better than FEAR 2. I can't even say all the reasons why. I only played FEAR shortly before I got FEAR 2 too, so it was kind of "old school" by the time I got to playing it.

I liked the feel of "kinetics" in FEAR 1 - the guns were fun, reacted quickly, and stuff chipped and splintered all over. One of the first things I notice in an FPS or hybrid FPS game is whether the guns are "fun" or not. Low lag, nice sound, good feel, a good perceived level of power and accuracy - that sort of thing. FEAR 1's guns were "fun" :) FEAR 1 is also easy to pop into and play for 20 minutes when you have a little downtime without having to set up a major gaming session because of limited save points, or having to run from the spawn point all the way across a map to where you were last doing something (like Borderlands DLC - ugh).

I really enjoyed the series so far, but this is one of those games I can wait for until its significantly cheaper.

FEAR is probably one of the best FPS games of all time. The expansions were trash but decent time wasters if you liked the game play.

FEAR 2 was good but due to horrible input issues on PC, I played through the game on 360, even though I bought it on Steam. It was good, but not as good FEAR but I think a lot of that has to do with FEAR being so original and FEAR2 building on that so everyone was already accustomed to it's style.

If they don't fuck up the controls on FEAR3 I will definitely pick it up, we shall see. It looks pretty good so far and I'm a fan of Carpenter.

I liked FEAR 2 better than FEAR 1, I felt like the characters were more developed and they were able to capture the visual aspect better this time around.

The expansions did suck though.

I liked FEAR 2 better than FEAR 1, I felt like the characters were more developed and they were able to capture the visual aspect better this time around.

The expansions did suck though.

I missed the LEAN functions of FEAR and the multiplayer. FEAR1 multi was fucking awesome, FEAR2's gameplay and listen servers were garbage. That's why it also gets a knock in my book but SP was pretty good. Great Art Direction in all games some of the enemy designs are so fucking cool.

There has been such a drought of games lately, I'm looking forward to Fear 3. Even if it sucks it will be better than DNF.:eek:
Fear1 was great, The first expansion was good, Perseus not so much. Fear 2 was pretty good, but not as good as the first.

I am looking forward to Rage. I hope BF3 has a desent SP or it will be a no-go for me.

If it's like Fear 1 then I'd probably pick it up. So any word on drm? Couldn't find much at all. Seems like nothing other than steam on the steam version, which is good.

It's kind of sad that a 7-8 hour campaign is considered "huge." I'm pretty sure the first FEAR was twice that length if not more.

I think it's because it's 7 to 8 hours per character, which isn't too bad.

Anyone played it yet?

It's kind of sad that a 7-8 hour campaign is considered "huge." I'm pretty sure the first FEAR was twice that length if not more.

About average length. Besides replay value is based on the user not the game anyways.

I got fear 1 and 2 + expansion on steam sale for $10. Will get Fear 3 when it's on sale. I also bought overlord complete pack for $5 on steam. I love steam!

Back