Overclock i7-2600K on ASUS P8P67 Deluxe 2

Znod

n00b
I have repeated the last two posts from this thread below because it appears to be locked or otherwise inaccessible. After repeating the posts, I provide an update to where things stand.

Forceman 2[H]4U, 5.6 Years said:

"I think all those setting would be fine. There was a recommendation to set the VRM frequency to 350 to help with stability, but I think that is only required for higher overclocks. I would recommend leaving the CPU Ratio in the Advanced menu set to Auto. I'm not at my computer now to check all the options, but I think if you Load Optimized Defaults and then change only the Turbo Multiplier (By All Cores) to 44, and save it, you'll probably get acceptable results. There are other things you can tweak, but 44 is not so high an overclock so you can probably get by with just changing the one setting.

Also, you will probably need to set your DRAM speed manually (DDR3-1600) as it may default to 1333. You can try turning the Phase Control and Duty Cycle setting to their next higher level, but again, for 44, I don't think it is necessary.Thanks very much again. I will start at 44, leaving the advanced menu alone and the other settings as apparently provided by auto software OCing. I don't want to go with the optimized defaults again. Not thinking I did them a short while ago. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that the defaults change SATA mode. So, I wiped out my RAID 0. No big deal though. Acronis gave it back in about 30 minutes, having switched the SATA mode back to RAID. The only things that have changed since I did the optimized defaults are the settings changes created by the auto software mode. I will think about the the "350" setting as I progress."

Znod said:

"Thanks very much again. I will start at 44, leaving the advanced menu alone and the other settings as apparently provided by auto software OCing. I don't want to go with the optimized defaults again. Not thinking I did them a short while ago. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that the defaults change SATA mode. So, I wiped out my RAID 0. No big deal though. Acronis gave it back in about 30 minutes, having switched the SATA mode back to RAID. The only things that have changed since I did the optimized defaults are the settings changes created by the auto software mode. I will think about the the "350" setting as I progress.

I am betting that my DRAM still will run at 1648. That's been one of the constants that has persisted throughout my efforts. I'll change the DRAM setting it if need be.

At least the auto software OCing appears to have provided one function I had hoped for--providing some settings that I could expand my knowledge with and some settings that I can build on as I progress possibly up to, and maybe beyond, 46. The settings apparently are judged by the software to be suitable up to my "Target CPU Turbo-Mode Speed" of 4635MHz." At least that's my interpretation of them.

I very much appreciate your adult-level approach and friendliness. I will post back with my outcomes.

Z"

Update:

The BIOS settings (including 100 and 44) did not work--as he processor did not OC. I did the following:

1. Uninstalled the TurboV software. The processor did not OC (tested with Passmark, CPU-Z 157, Prime95, the latest version of AIDA64, and the ASUS monitoring software here and below).

2. I flipped the TPU switch to "off" and started up. All was fine. I reinserted the settings
mentioned above. The processor did not OC.

3. I reinstalled the TurboV software. It worked as usual and indicated a successful OC to about 4.6 (103 X 43). But, also, as usual, the processor did not OC.

4. I changed the BIOS settings to 100 and 45 to be a little conservative, and started up. Still no luck.

5. I PM'd with Forceman. He suggests resetting the optimized defaults in BIOS. I probably will do so. As indicated before, I had reset the defaults shortly before posting to the original thread here so I am somewhat doubtful that resetting them again will help. A minor problem here is that resetting them renders my RAID 0 not bootable. I can recover in about 30 minutes using my Acronis True Image RAID disk image, but I still am hoping that I can avoid resetting the defaults again.

So, before resetting the defaults, does anyone have other suggestions? I did not have a stability issue at 100 and 46. Does it appear that my board or processor is defective? Any thoughts. I would greatly appreciate any and all help.

Last edited:
I tried a less extreme version of the settings depicted via screen shots shown here. The OC, using 100 and 45, would not take. The machine runs slower, of course, than when I let the TurboV software choose the settings for 45 (which always turns out to be 103 for the BCLK). So, letting the software decide at least allows a 3% OC of the BCLK).

I decided to use the auto software to give me its "view" of the appropriate BIOS settings for 103 and 44-which yield a target turbo mode speed of 4532 and a target DRAM speed of 1648. My DRAM speed is not an issue. When attempting to OC, my DRAM always end up either at 1600 or 1648 (= 1.03 X 1600). The resulting BIOS settings are exactly the same as those I started the day with--except I had to change the VRM frequency back to "Auto." Of course, consistent with everything else, no OC occurred beyond the obvious 3%.

Go figure! And, for all of you that refused to help me before because I wasn't doing things the way you thought I should be, I think we now have a common ground. I am doing everything possible to get an OC beyond 3%, including doing a variety of BIOS mods--which I now understand pretty well. So, climb down from your horses, pull up a barstool, and help me out.

I made one last effort before running off to the gym. I used basic settings of 103 and 36 to see if I could get the 36 to register anywhere but in my BIOS. The turbo ratio of 36 was not realized.

Ok, for now, I am out of ideas. Help appreciated. For what its worth, I am getting good Passmark scores for a barely OC'd machine. The last trial gave a CPU mark of 9307. My WEI scores are 7.6, 7.9. 7.9. and 7.9 for Processor, Memory, Graphics, and Gaming, respectively. Good, but no cigar for the processor score. Off to the gym. I expected to see lots of helpful suggestions by the time I get home. :) :)

Can you try running something like Cinebench with the settings at stock, and then run it again with it overclocked. I know you say it isn't keeping the overclock setting (44 or 45), but I'm wondering if that is just a reporting error of some kind. Did you install the latest Intel Management Engine driver?

Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is to change the BIOS settings for C1E, C3 and C6 to Enabled, instead of Default. You are using the "By All Cores" setting to change the multiplier, right?

G'day Mate:

Good to hear from you. I will try Cinebench as you suggest, but note that the Passmark test, for example, always picked up the software OC on my original board. I have a fairly detailed record of my early Passmark CPU scores. Without OCing (except maybe 3%), the historical scores are very similar to my most recent one (with only a 3% OCing)--a CPU mark of about 9300 (as eported above). When the software OC was working (I think using 103 and 44), the CPU marks where above 11,000.

I echo your concerns about the OC not being recorded. However, when the OCing was working on the original board, I could see the OC at work via the ASUS CPU monitor. I have always monitored closely and have never seen the OC work again on either board. OK, though, let's check it out thoroughly. I'm off to download Cinebench.

Thank you again for all your help. I'll post back ASAP.

I should have mentioned before that I have the latest Intel Management Software. I will try this before the day is up: "change the BIOS settings for C1E, C3 and C6 to Enabled, instead of Default." Afterwards, my apparent last resort, to be done in the morning, is to reset the optimized defaults.

I now have run the CineBench tests. Below are the results. They imply that no OCing (beyond 3% on Test1) is likely to be occurring. Note that the "stock" (almost) settings yield in-between results. Go figure!

Test1--Settings of 103 and 43 (supposedly 4429 MHz)--Result is 6.70
Test2--Settings of 100 and 44 (supposedly 4400 MHz)--Result is 6.52
Test3--Settings of 100 and 35 (supposedly 3500 MHz)--Result is 6.60

Per usual, thank you very much for your help. And, per usual, I don't get what's happening unless the board is bad. All my equipment is new--purchased at the same time--for what that is worth (except, of course, I received the second board a week or so ago). I don't think I could have a PSU problem and crank out 11000+ scores on the Passmark CPU test.

Last edited:
"Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is to change the BIOS settings for C1E, C3 and C6 to Enabled, instead of Default."

Nope, no good luck here either.

"You are using the "By All Cores" setting to change the multiplier, right?"

Right on, Bro.

I don't know - it's like the board thinks you have a non-K chip or something. Did you try loading the optimized defaults yet?

Can you get Realtemp 2.67 and the latest version of Throttlestop, and see exactly what your C states and ratios are doing? Also, try to PM Unclewebb, here or on XS, since he made the programs, and he may be able to help you with them.

This is what a 4 ghz overclock SHOULD look like with all c states disabled, and 40x100 set.

throttle.jpg

I hope this helps somewhat....

I have RMA'd my board, but I still am working on the problem, including the step you mention. I'd like to keep the board if possible. The new one will arrive soon though. I'll let you know after working on the problem as you suggest. I have thought of another thing or so to try. Thanks much for hanging with me.

Z

OK, I reinstalled/flashed the BIOS. I was running the latest and, of course, still am. Next, I. possible redundantly, loaded the optimized defaults--which predictable made my RAID 0 unbootable. I changed the SATA mode to RAID. I now am Acronising to my RAID setup. It will take 30 minutes or so, and we will be gone for awhile. I sure the Acronis-back will work fine.

But, here is something I have not mentioned before. When I Acronis my disk image back, something funny happens. The chipset drivers have question marks in device manager--which they didn't have when I made the disk image in the first place. The indication is that the proper chipset driver(s) are not installed and that substitute drivers are being used. When I try to update them, I am told that the best drivers are in use.

Earlier, I had gotten rid of the question marks by doing a repair install of Win7. But, now I am wondering if my Win7 disk installed substitute drivers with no indication of having done so after the repair install. Would my Win7 disk do such a thing?

Probably doesn't matter, but I am a Technet subscriber and used Technet Win7 to do the install originally. Later, I bought a Wn7 disk so I could do repair installs if needed (i.e., Technet ISO files do not allow installing Win7 via the upgrade option).

How do you think I should go about making sure the proper drives are installed? The ASUS board disk shows that it can install the chipset drivers. But, I have always let Win7 browse the disk to find better drivers. That's when it tells me that I am using the best ones--but, of course, the question marks persist. Maybe, I should just click install and let disk have at it.

The ultimate question, I think, is could the driver situation be at the root of my OCing issues?

Talk to you soon after return home in a few hours.

Last edited:
Thanks very much Falkentyne.

They look like great apps. I definitely will get and try out. Sorry to be so brief, but I am up to my ears right now.

I would think the only thing that might affect overclocking would be the Intel Management Engine drivers - can't see how a chipset driver would impact it with these chips.

Thanks much again.

Yes, that's the chipset driver file I used. I am updated on th IME drivers too as far as I know. At least I installed some very recent ones from the ASUS mobo support disk.

And, I was forgetting what I saw via Device Manager. I saw warning signs not question marks. I am not acutally sure if there is a chipset driver per core. And, I am not sure how many processor drivers should be shown via Device Manager. I am sure I have some extra processor entries (my setup is a quad core, of course). How many entries should be there? I know I can delete the excess.

Anyway, please check out the attached snips, and let me know what action you think is needed. And, do you think the warning signs could be at the heart of my OCing problems.

Oops, it looks like I can't attach snips. For processor, Device Manager shows six entries. Each entry shows a warning sign. Each sign leads eventually to this disclosure: "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternative driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32). I am checking out Code 32 right now.

Thanks again.

I will try what I found indicated below--ignoring the Windows Server mention.

"Code 32: A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality

Updated: August 31, 2007 Applies To: Windows Server 2008

Device Manager displays the following message in the Device Properties dialog box, on the General tab, in the Device Status text box:

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

Diagnosis

The Start type for this driver is set to Disabled in the registry.

Resolution

Uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall or upgrade the driver."

Edit:
The procedure did not follow the pattern I am used to or what is said above. But, device manager now shows all six :) processor drivers to be installed. My IME components are version 7.0.3227a--installed from my ASUS board disk. I'll see if anything more recent is online at ASUS. OK, apparently nothing more current is available--at least from ASUS.

Last edited:
When set to stock settings, does the system clock up to Turbo speeds, or is it locked at 34? The warning signs for processor makes me wonder if that may be part of the problem (I'm not positive how involved Windows is in the Turbo feature, but I know there are some interactions). Do you have a spare drive you could drop in and run a fresh install of Win 7 on and test the overclock on that? At least that would help eliminate the possibility of a software error causing the problem - maybe some leftover or corrupted Asus TurboV software.

OMG

I changed BCLK to 100 and Turbo to 40, and viola--the beast is OC'd. Amazing! I did this right after I picked up the new Rev. B3 (or 3.0) box off the front porch. Interesting timing.

Now that I know more about OCing I'll see if I can get comfortably above 4429 (103 X 43) MHz--which is what the auto mode for TurboV gave. I thought it would it would go to 44 on automatic, but I guess not

Thanks so much to those who helped. I will post back soon letting you know where my newly found BIOS skills take me quickly. I still like the way the software auto mode can take you if you have no idea what you are doing. 4429 GHz is a good level for a 24/7 work machine. And, using the auto/software approach gives an indication of what the ASUS engineers probably think to be very important BIOS changes. Recall that the settings related to successful auto/software OCs are saved to BIOS.

Again I thank you very much for the help I received.

Last edited:
When set to stock settings, does the system clock up to Turbo speeds, or is it locked at 34? The warning signs for processor makes me wonder if that may be part of the problem (I'm not positive how involved Windows is in the Turbo feature, but I know there are some interactions). Do you have a spare drive you could drop in and run a fresh install of Win 7 on and test the overclock on that? At least that would help eliminate the possibility of a software error causing the problem - maybe some leftover or corrupted Asus TurboV software.

I didn't see that you posted again until now. Here are the CineBench results again:

Test1--Settings of 103 and 43 (supposedly 4429 MHz)--Result is 6.70
Test2--Settings of 100 and 44 (supposedly 4400 MHz)--Result is 6.52
Test3--Settings of 100 and 35 (supposedly 3500 MHz)--Result is 6.60

Yes, you obviously were right about the warning signs. And, I am not sure about the answer to your question about the third row above--the stock settings. Thank you for the new suggestions, but I guess I won't be following through on them. Yea!!! :cool::):D

I am not quite sure how things went so far south because I can't remember when I did certain things. But, it looks like Acronis produced a processor driver problem every time I recovered. And, the fix was easy. But, where, in the context, of building a new machine and using the ASUS board and the Intel processor, do new processor diriver(s) come from. Also, how many processor entries should be shown in device manager for a 4 core processor? I want to delete the extras.

I'd like to pursue the first of these questions especially as soon as we get back from dinner. Then, maybe I can figure out what happened sequentially to bring about my bad result.

Thank your very much as always. Talk to you later.

I have 8 processors listed in Device Manager (with HT on), with the intelppm.sys driver from Microsoft.

I don't know what HT is, but I am going to install the processor driver two more times, Then, I'll have as many cores as you. :)

I don't know what HT is, but I am going to install the processor driver two more times, Then, I'll have as many cores as you. :)

Hyperthreading. Scan for new hardware should find all the cores, I would think.

Oh, I see. And, check out the latest on my new thread. The news isn't great.

Back