How do I update chipset drivers for Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2(rev 1.x)

Benie

n00b
I need to update my chipset drivers for my Gigabyte S-Series GA-MA74GM-S2(rev 1.x) motherboard. I selected the correct download. But when I get it, well, they're all pointing to ATi drivers. I try running one of the many .exe files in here, and most say;
"Setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. Please make sure you have the required hardware or software."

I was messing around and it installed drivers for my Southbridge. Apparently that's ATi. And according to CPU-Z, both my Northbridge and Southbridge are ATi-made.

But why won't it install everything? Do I still have to download drivers for my CPU? My CPU is a Phenom X4 9550.

Last edited:
are there more chipset drivers for that model motherboard then the one you have tried? is there a bios update to?

i see there is a bios update for phenomx3 support. maybe there is one for the processor you have in the works.

I tried updating my CPU driver before, but their site isn't working right. You see, when I got to the page that had the driver, the Download button was unclickable.

Hmm... I just found this with a working download link. According to my CPU's properties, the driver date is 8/10/2007.
Should I get this? I'm scared it might do irreversible damage to my CPU, and I can't afford fuck ups right now;
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dyn...cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=173

Last edited:
The CPU driver is unnecessary. I believe AMD chipsets do not use northbridge drivers, only southbridge. What video card are you using?

Have you gone into Device Manager, and see if it shows any hardware that has the yellow caution symbol by it? That would indicate there is a problem with the piece of hardware.

The only yellow thing listed has to do with my onboard sound. I have a sound card. A Siig SoundWave 7.1 PCI, or as Windows calls it, C-Media Wave Device.
Attempting to update through Windows, it can't find an updated driver.

Shows this;
Other devices
-- Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus

The only yellow thing listed has to do with my onboard sound. I have a sound card. A Siig SoundWave 7.1 PCI, or as Windows calls it, C-Media Wave Device.
Attempting to update through Windows, it can't find an updated driver.

Shows this;
Other devices
-- Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus

Are there any problems you're trying to fix by updating your chipset drivers? The onboard audio are the realtek drivers on the gigabyte page.

If you are using a soundcard, disable your on-board audio in your bios ans see if that fixes it.

Back