Help, bent pins!

JCNiest5

2[H]4U
Okay, so I bought a mobo from another forum member here and the first thing I saw after taking the CPU socket cover is two bent pins! Should I try to unbend them back or what?

They are to the left of the socket on the picture...

DSCN1499.jpg

The flash's hiding them on this picture but you can still see them.
DSCN1498.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I went with my instinct and unbent them back. I think I did a good job..

DSCN1501.jpg

You can still see this (shiny) one but otherwise, they look good.

DSCN1503.jpg

DSCN1502.jpg

Last edited:
Good job, should work just fine as long as you did not break the pins off. :)

Still waiting for D0 to show up at my local Micro Center store here.

Heh, I said those same words for about a month and finally said screw it and bought a d0 at central. It was worth the extra 45bucks to have it a month or 2 sooner. :p

Oh and good job with the pins. I've had a simular situation before. You really need to use a magnifying glass and some small tools to pull it off.

Heh, I said those same words for about a month and finally said screw it and bought a d0 at central. It was worth the extra 45bucks to have it a month or 2 sooner. :p

Oh and good job with the pins. I've had a simular situation before. You really need to use a magnifying glass and some small tools to pull it off.

Think I'm gonna pull the trigger myself. Got someone with a B batch so that's pretty cool.

Yeah, I struggled at first to actually see the pins. It's always a risk to unbend these tiny pins back! Wish I don't have to do it, but people aren't handling them with care so sometimes one's gotta do what one's gotta do.

Yep.. seen that happen a time or two before.

You guys shoulda seen the DELL dual XEON server that I had to fix bent pins on one of the CPUs when I was working as an onsite tech.

So I get there to do a service call for a brand new no-post system.

1. The box they ship me has a waybill for a motherboard, ram, cpu, video card, and power supply.

2. The only thing in the box was a power supply..... bah.. call DELL and let them know and ask why the parts are missing. They tell me they must have been out of stock... which still didn't answer my question of why the waybill listed all the parts as being shipped.

3. I proceed to open up the system and find out that somehow one of the heatsinks had come partially off during shipping as well as pulling the one CPU out of the socket. The jostling around during shipping severely bent about 50 of the pins. I spent the next hour or so with a credit card and a couple small flathead screwdrivers straightening all the pins out so the CPU would fit in the socket again.

After I put it all back together, it surprisingly worked fine.

Just some good news to report...the board still works...thanks for reading!

Seller never responded to my PM regarding these bent pins even though he comes online...not a good way to treat your buyer.

Just some good news to report...the board still works...thanks for reading!

Seller never responded to my PM regarding these bent pins even though he comes online...not a good way to treat your buyer.

Make sure you mention that in his Heatware, and link him to this thread.

Actually, I just double-checked, the seller hasn't visited this forum since 5/12 11:59 PM. I received the mobo on the 13th and PMed him that day after I found out the two bent pins...so since he never visited this forum since the 12th, he just isn't aware of my problem. I wish he would visit this forum a little more often so concerns and questions can be addressed timely, especially after he just had a sale.

I just put the pictures back at Photobucket so they should show now.

He may not have known. I have leart to check when I get a motherboard and before I sell one due to several mysterious bent pin issues.

nice work, and also on the camera work on those shots, if it were higher rez, I'd stick it on my desktop.

Actually, I just double-checked, the seller hasn't visited this forum since 5/12 11:59 PM. I received the mobo on the 13th and PMed him that day after I found out the two bent pins...so since he never visited this forum since the 12th, he just isn't aware of my problem. I wish he would visit this forum a little more often so concerns and questions can be addressed timely, especially after he just had a sale.

I just put the pictures back at Photobucket so they should show now.

Email him. You do have his paypal email, don't you?

nice work, and also on the camera work on those shots, if it were higher rez, I'd stick it on my desktop.

Which one do you want? I can email them to you if you want. I took them as 10 Megapixel resulution...

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I read the title and spit out my Coke. I had to re-read it, lol.

Bummer deal on the pins being bent but it looks like you did a swell job getting them back into place.

I've dealt with bent pins in my past and I've always used a credit card to line the outa place ones with the rest. That and an exacto knife.

Heh, good to see you were able to bend them back. I hate doing that... I'm always afraid I'm going to screw it up more.

....I've dealt with bent pins in my past and I've always used a credit card to line the outa place ones with the rest. That and an exacto knife.

Glad you didn't actually choke! Back to pins...with Intel's previous socket-type pins (and current AMD's), it was okay to use credit card to line up bent pins. Not with the current LGA775 and LGA1366, these are impossible to use anything like that. You have to use superfine pointed cuting knife (like those for fine art cutting) or else you may not be able to even reach these tiny pins. You can't even see them well w/o using magnifying glass.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm the seller. Sorry for not responding sooner (I'm currently on vacation). I PM'ed you about the board tonight too.

(COPIED FROM ANOTHER THREAD OF MINE - JUST FOR THOSE WHO MAY HAVE MISSED IT)

The board went south, I had it running last night downloading something, woke up this morning to find that it was off, tried to turn it on, nothing. Unplugged power cord for thirty seconds, plug it back in, push power button, it came on (or flickered) like 1/4 of a second, went off again. Thought there may be a short somewhere, took the board out of the case, same thing. Took off everything (memory, video card, all other cables and even the CPU), same thing. I unplugged the 12V cable, it power on, but you all know it wouldn't work w/o that cable. Plugged the 12V cable back in, turned on (or just flickered) for 1/4 of a second then went off again. Tried different PSU, same thing. Narrowed down to the 12V component/connector/voltage regulator or whatever that has something to do with the 12V plug. Contact the seller I bought it from, it was sold as a Review board (sent directly to the seller from MSI), not sure how he's going to handle the RMA. I hope something good can come out of this.

Back