VelociRaptor 150gb vs 300gb

KamelRed

[H]ard|Gawd
After putting around with a Maxtor 6L200S0 200gb HDD I decided to uprade to a WD VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150gb. Since I'm not made of money and storage space isn't an issue with me, the 150gb over the 300gb model was more practical. However, I am having difficulty finding benchmarks between the two VelociRaptor models. I'm assuming if there is a performance difference its marginal at best but I was just wondering if anyone compared the drives and if they could post the results or a link to them.

And just to show show what I'll be upgrading from, here is my HD Tune benchmark.

maxtor6l200s0.jpg

If money is an issue, perhaps you could consider the WD6400AAKS that goes for about $85 regularly, you'd get much better (like, twice) the performance of your current disk, and almost three times the [advertised] storage, as well.

You'll be paying a large premium for 10,000 RPM drives like the Velociraptors, and even then its performance isn't that far ahead of the WD6400AAKS. Top-of-the-line components have prices that don't reflect linear performance increases.

Well I didn't mean to sound like I'm on a super tight budget but $180 is a lot more easier to swallow then $280. I had already ordered the drive before my post but I worded it in a way that made it sound like I didn't bite the bullet yet, my apologies.

I was considering the WD6400AAKS (actually ordered one for a family members system) but I always wanted a WD Raptor HDD ever since the first model came out years ago.

I just received 2 WD 1500HLFS WD VelociRaptors today and plan to put them in raid 0 KamelRed. I did own 2 of the first generation 36gig raptors and had those in raid 0 with an AMD 2500+ Barton overclocked to 2.3ghz and I can honestly say I seen a huge improvement in my time spent on the computer so I’m sure I wont be disappointed in the new VelociRaptors neither. Post your benches when it arrives and I’ll follow up with my Raid 0 when I have all the parts for my new system. I have the two drives and an ANTEC 1200 on the way so it’s a start.

Sounds good kevdaman.

Its 3 day shipping so I'll hopefully receive the drive early next week. I was actually going to format and reinstall XP sometime soon on my current system so this purchase has nicely coincided with that.

How much would these WD's cost around?

And are they reliable? :D

I paid $179.99 for mine at Newegg (free shipping). I didn't really shop around much for better prices though. As far as it being reliable I guess that remains to be seen.

No. Just cost and capacity. Perf's the same, unless you want to consider shortstroking in a RAID0 scenerio, then the VR300 can be slightly faster.

I think you're right on this. Are you 100% sure the VR 150GB is the same as the 300GB just half the capacity?

I am wanting to know the same thing and also how the noise is on this drive. They both are 2.5" drives and look a lot alike.

It looks like that review is comparing it to the old 150gig raptor and not the VR?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is the old 150GB Raptor. Apparently, the VR 150GB is phasing out the older 150GB according to newegg (old one has auto notify).

Back