Swapping Dell Inspiron 530 guts to non Dell case?

ADDICT76

Limp Gawd
I've got a Dell Inspiron 530. I'm wanting to swap it into my older Antec full tower case. Is this possible?

Here is a pic from this site of the Dell 530 mobo.

2660209677_343bd503c9_o.jpg

Should work just fine in the new case. It's an ATX board from what I gather (mid-ATX I think) and should transfer over without issues. Just be patient, take your time, keep all the screws handy (I know the Antec would have some additional but even so, good practice is best practice), and keep a nice layout of stuff around you. Keep the tools in the same place when you use them and you're done, believe me it'll cut down on the frustration if a screwdriver rolls under a panel or whatever and you freak out because "It was right there just a second ago, dammit..." ;)

The only issue I see is you might have to replace the powersuppy. Those cables are very short and designed to fit that case layout. Standard atx parts so that should be no big deal.

I've built several pc's in the past. In fact the case I want to transfer it too was one of my past projects, Just wasn't sure if it was a proprietary sized mobo or not. Also need to figure out the switch header (power, reset etc).

On a side note, does anyone know if there are still replacement parts for these older cases still floating around? I need a new door as one of my kids snapped the tang off the top.

2660273907_0932cb10a6.jpg

2660280737_bbe881cc25.jpg

It should work fine. I bought my pc, and then im upgrading. Ive gotten a new case, and it fit fine.

Doable, I actually have put the guts of my Inspiron 530 in an Antec 900 case I had(it was on sale on Black Friday :p ). Just trace the wires in the Dell case and you should get full front panel connectivity past the reset button.

I put in a Corsair 550VX, there's no way the Dell PSU would have had long enough cables for the 900.

Didn't think so either, just wanted to confirm the PSU was a standard atx style.

Lucky you got a ATX mobo in your Dell. I got a BTX bastard, and no posibility on upgrading HSF.
Damn Dmension E531. Wish I knew what I was doing when I bought that POS.

Back