7800 GTX vs. today's games

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently have 7800 GTX - you can see my specs below. I currently play CS:S, TF2, and BF2 without much trouble at 1920x1200, though I'm starting to have to dial down the AA and turn of HDR. I'm thinking of picking up the following games:

Sins of a Solar Empire
Call of Duty 4
Crysis

Will my GTX be able to even play these games, on medium or low settings if necessary, at 1920x1200?

I currently have 7800 GTX - you can see my specs below. I currently play CS:S, TF2, and BF2 without much trouble at 1920x1200, though I'm starting to have to dial down the AA and turn of HDR. I'm thinking of picking up the following games:

Sins of a Solar Empire
Call of Duty 4
Crysis

Will my GTX be able to even play these games, on medium or low settings if necessary, at 1920x1200?

Well as far as Sins and COD 4 go you should be able to squeeze medium settings at that res at best out of that card and get for the most part playable frame rates. As far as Crysis goes, it will make your card cry hardcore. You MAYBE get playable frame raters on all low settings at 1024x768, maybe even 1280x1024 but that would be pushing it. I'd say pick up a 9600GT or 8800GT if you don't plan on turning up the AA very much or at all. If you want AA then I would go with the 8800GTS (G92) so that you can turn it up a bit. Anything more than that will need an 8800GTX. This is all of course assuming you have the budget. If you must keep the 7800 then you should be able to play the games, probably just not very well.

A 7900GTX can push CoD4 maxed at 1680x1050, (I say this from experience) but you'd be pushing it with a card that is older and slower, and then a higher res on top of that. Get a new videocard.

Well, I have an x1800xt in my desktop and a Go 7950 GTX in my laptop (which happens to have a 1920x1200 screen), both of which are fairly similar in performance to the 7800 GTX. Sins of a Solar Empre will be just fine at 1920x1200. Call of Duty 4 is a bit more iffy; I'm able to play at 1920x1200 with some of the settings turned down (particularly shadows - those are killer).

Crysis is a completely different beast. It will murder... well, just about any video card at the moment. Our older cards hold up better than you might think though. You probably won't be running it at 1920x1200 (well, maybe at low settings). Crysis eats memory bandwidth for breakfast, and taking the resolution down a little will dramatically increase your framerate. At 1280x800 with medium settings I can get a quite playable 30ish fps on either of my cards. With some heavy-duty tweaking I can get it to look pretty damn close to "High" settings with a still-playable 20-25 fps.

Also good to note: all three of those games have demos - download them and see how they run on your machine. If you're not satisfied with your performance, upgrade (probably best to wait for the new cards coming in June if you can wait).

Hmm anyone have a link to that generic chart where they compare the Nvidia cards to its equivalent ATI cards for just about every generation? Can't seem to find it.

It would probably give you a good idea where it stands though

meh with 9600gt's going for $140 and less new and 8800GS for 99 and less new no excuse really to not upgrade to atleast that.

Sins of a Solar Empire
Call of Duty 4
Crysis

I have a 7800 GTX 256 and it still packs some power under the hood, for even most modern games. I'm able to play CoD4 @ 1280x1024 with 2xAA and everything else set to its highest, with smooth framerate.
Only tried the demo of Sins and it was every smooth, again @ 1280x1024 with everything set to its max.
Crysis is the most demanding game out there, but I was still able to play it @ 1024x768, no AA, with most settings set to medium, except 2-3 of them set to high and it was playable.

I'm sure that the 7800 GTX can handle Sins @ 1920x1200, but CoD4 and Crysis will be quite different. Especially Crysis. That res is way to high for a 7800 GTX.

I see your running Vista 64bit. I would add 2 more GB of ram to your system giving it 4GB total and either wait for the new Nvidia/ATI cards coming out or get a 9600GT for pretty cheap. The 256MB on your GTX is what is hurting you in high res.

I have a 7800 GTX 256 and it still packs some power under the hood, for even most modern games. I'm able to play CoD4 @ 1280x1024 with 2xAA and everything else set to its highest, with smooth framerate.
Only tried the demo of Sins and it was every smooth, again @ 1280x1024 with everything set to its max.
Crysis is the most demanding game out there, but I was still able to play it @ 1024x768, no AA, with most settings set to medium, except 2-3 of them set to high and it was playable.

I'm sure that the 7800 GTX can handle Sins @ 1920x1200, but CoD4 and Crysis will be quite different. Especially Crysis. That res is way to high for a 7800 GTX.

I dunno if they've updated the demo of Sins as they've updated the game itself, but they've added a few things from a graphical standpoint since its original release (such as much higher-rez textures)- definitely makes the game look a lot better/cleaner imo, but just kinda fyi.

I'm with the OP on this situation.

However mine is a little different. In order to upgrade my system I am going to need to fork over the dough. I am running an AGP system on an nForce board. I have the 7800 GS OC with 2 GB Ram and AMD 64 3000+.

For some reason I can play Crysis @ Medium all across the board and 1-2 settings on high @ 1280x1024 (native). Haven't touched COD4 on my desktop and oblivion still runs on Ultra high on that res.

It seems I am right at the end of my road.

similar box to the op here, two 7900GTO's with an opteron 165. great machine but theres a few games that dont play nice. crysis goes without saying, don't worry you're not missing much. i can still run it at medium settings rather well however.

COD4 ran at full settings at 1920x1200 for me but man it was slow at a few parts....i think i backed some of the settings off a tad. bioshock runs full tilt with the odd hiccup in a few areas....sins of a solar empire isnt a problem. i find TF2 runs very well with 4x AA. CS:S seems to be a bit easier on it, i can crank the AA right up to 8x or even the 16x SLI mode.

so yeah if you don't mind backing off a few settings, even turning down the resolution a notch that card still has quite a bit of life left in it, very surprising really. next stop for me is homebrew WC and some manic overclocking:)

similar box to the op here, two 7900GTO's with an opteron 165. great machine but theres a few games that dont play nice. crysis goes without saying, don't worry you're not missing much. i can still run it at medium settings rather well however.

COD4 ran at full settings at 1920x1200 for me but man it was slow at a few parts....i think i backed some of the settings off a tad. bioshock runs full tilt with the odd hiccup in a few areas....sins of a solar empire isnt a problem. i find TF2 runs very well with 4x AA. CS:S seems to be a bit easier on it, i can crank the AA right up to 8x or even the 16x SLI mode.

so yeah if you don't mind backing off a few settings, even turning down the resolution a notch that card still has quite a bit of life left in it, very surprising really. next stop for me is homebrew WC and some manic overclocking:)

Not surprising at all that it has life left given the PS3 and 360 are pretty much running off that very same gpu so ofc your problems are primarily going to come from games like Crysis (and of course, you're not missing ANYTHING there; nope, no sirree!), Company of Heroes, Dawn of War 2, STALKER: Clear Sky, etc...

I took Joga's advice and downloaded the Crysis SP demo. Left all settings on low, jumped the resolution to 1920x1200. About the only part that ran smoothly was after I jumped out of the plane, but before I hit the water. The rest was really, really sad. If I try again, it will be at 1600x1200 or 1280x1024.

I may download the CoD 4 demo later tonight - if I do get it, I want to get it before the $39.99 deal on Steam expires.

I took Joga's advice and downloaded the Crysis SP demo. Left all settings on low, jumped the resolution to 1920x1200. About the only part that ran smoothly was after I jumped out of the plane, but before I hit the water. The rest was really, really sad. If I try again, it will be at 1600x1200 or 1280x1024.

Rez makes a huge difference in Crysis- both in terms of image quality and performance.

Rez makes a huge difference in Crysis- both in terms of image quality and performance.
Everything on medium (except shadows, which was on low) at 1280x1024 was pretty much unplayable, but admittedly better than 1920x1200 with everything on low. I was curious what it thought my system could handle, and it put everything on low and lowered the resolution to 800x600. Looked like crap at that resolution, but it did run somewhat smoothly. Somewhat.

So I downloaded and installed the CoD4 demo. Turned off AA and cranked up the resolution to 1920x1200 - didn't even hiccup! Just for kicks, I turned on 4x AA as well - no difference in performance.

I'll be keeping my video card, and buying CoD4 :D

To be honest, Crysis didn't seem that fun anyway.

Correction the PS3 runs on an Nvidia GPU, since Microsoft tossed away NVIDIA for the XBOX 360.

Yeah, I know- I was speaking in terms of power though. I know all about both the PS3's RSX gpu and the 360's Xenos gpu (just check any console vs. PC topic in this section and I think the ratio of everyone else's posts to mine in those topics is like 5:1 only, xD).

I ran the Crysis demo at 1280x1024 at low/med settings, and got around 35fps. So it was playable. Considering that the 7800GTX is comparable, I would say, get a new card. COD4 will be playable at med settings, but framerates will be low in places. I say, get a new card. Not much money and a huge performance boost.

On a 7900GS I ran Crysis at all medium, 1024x768.. So its not that bad.. But really.. with Cards so Cheap right now.. Might as well buy at least a 9600GT/GSO or better..

Back