Anyone get a recent Paypal chargeback from a Jonah Magat?

LiquidX

2[H]4U
Today I was hit with a charge back from something I sold over 4 months ago. They say the card might have been used in fraud. I'm pretty sure it was a sale I made here but cant do a search on myself to check what it specifically was that sold.

Do I even have a chance in this matter? If I don't pay the negative balance on my account what happens? Being 4 months ago I basically have no records or receipts of the deal.

I had a similar deal on paypal and I refused to pay it, they turned it over to collections and I have hired an attorney over the matter.

This is the reason I won't use paypal ever again.

I have had experience with this. Happened to me when I got my negs. Assholes still have $630+ of my money. Unfortunately if you cannot provide signature confirmation that the package was delivered they will rule against you. Paypal is absolute crap when it comes to their "secure payment".

Can this mess up my credit? I'm so pissed. Out of my item and nagative balance on my account.:mad:

yup unless u get a signature for aproval they can do this

I have sworn off paypal. called and reported my credit card lost so they would change my number and paypal couldnt get to it.

and I won't even pay someone over paypal with my card anymore.

They arn't an actual "bank" if you read through there rules. and there for have no real laws they gots to follow. You also sign saying they have rights for chargebacks etc.

It's all over garbage
Within canada I use email money transers
and in the usa I use moneybroker

Can this mess up my credit? I'm so pissed. Out of my item and nagative balance on my account.:mad:

As far as for me. no
they sent me an email bitching but I dont think had the right stuff to go to collections and it never showed up on my report (2 years now) but may be different down there

Shouldn't affect your credit unless you provide them with your social security number.

I thought Paypal stated that chargebacks could not be done after 60 days of the initial payment?

I thought Paypal stated that chargebacks could not be done after 60 days of the initial payment?

Paypal disputes, yes. But that doesn't change the rights you get from your CC issuer if you pay with a credit card.

It's up to the credit card company to decide how late to allow chargebacks. Amex easily allows 6 months, maybe more, especially if you're in good standing. If it's fraud, they can go a year or more back.

To the OP: look at your PP history regarding this payment (you can see whom and where you shipped the item easily if you follow the dispute links: they'll point to the payee's address, etc.). Were you eligible for the Seller's Protection Policy (it should say in the payment's detail page). If yes, call PP and tell them that they should eat the chargeback according to their policy. If your item was over $250, you should have gotten a signature (in addition to the other requirements).

So now you know the name and address, and you can get the phone number probably too. Call them up and ask what's going on. Tell them that keeping the item and disputing it is a theft and that you'll use all legal means to recover it (including filing a police report, etc.)

i had someone make a chargeback to my PP account after i hadn't used the account for a good 3 months. so not only was i not notified that it happened, but thank god i didn't have a bank/credit account linked to it. they did send me a bill later, but i just ignored it, never heard anything from then since, and it's been a good 2 years now. nothing on my credit report either

EDIT: i just hope you didn't have any funds in there that the guy could have taken. i always keep a low balance just for this situation. the lower your balance, the less paypal can take away.

I really hate PP... the sad thing is it seems just about everyone wants to use it these days. :(

Despite what people may be telling you in this thread, going into the negative can result in collections, and ultimately it *will* show up on your credit report. Why would it be any different than any other consumer debt you choose to not pay?

I have 2 friends at work that got hit up by paypal. They had someone fraudulently charge their accounts recently. Someone charged them for "services" totaling to about $1500. They were pissed obviously, and paypal told them to shut up and pay basicly. Intern my friends filed complaints with the state attorney general. Paypal was quick to reverse the charges after that.

I to hate using paypal. I avoid it at all costs, as others have said, it is not "secure".

Watch your backs, because Paypal isn't.

Despite what people may be telling you in this thread, going into the negative can result in collections, and ultimately it *will* show up on your credit report. Why would it be any different than any other consumer debt you choose to not pay?

most cases this is true, maybe we just got lucky.

or maybe paypal is just shady in practice, and would rather not spend the time/money needed to collect on debts?

Despite what you might be telling people in this thread, unless you provide paypal with your social security number, they can send you to collections, but that is not going to reflect your credit history.

Not by transunion, equifax or experian, anyone can create an account with paypal, send money into the account with their checking information, then remove their checking, and have a nasty negative fund record in paypal, they can send you collection notices all they want, but they don't stand a chance in showing up in your credit history.

Why would it be any different than any other consumer debt you choose to not pay?

Simple, Paypal is not a credit card, not a bank, they are absolutely NO ONE when it comes to reaching your credit history. They might offer a credit card service, but that's a different topic, going into debt and not paying their credit card (which is more than likely issued by a bank), will show up as negative in your credit history, although, using their "Paypal" initial service (transfering $$) and racking up a hefty negative fee, they are not allowed the right to get into your credit.

Seeing how their fraud prevention is completely worthless, along with their despute service, they hold no true value when it comes to federal/state laws.

I recently had a similar situation to the tune of $700. I disputed it over and over and eventually (like 4 months later) I did get a credit.
However, I did have a really bad experience with Paypal several years back... I basically had to abandon my account (with $1400) negative balance. I sold a laptop, sent it off and they came back two weeks later saying the card it was charged on was fraudulent and wanted me to pay for it ... what crap.
But yeah ... they didn't have my ssn, or any real info on me to begin with (rules are a bit different now with bank account and verified address etc....).
Nothing from them ever showed up on my credit.

You guys are missing the point. They don't have to be a bank or lender of any sort to have debts reported to credit reporting agencies, especially once it goes to collections. If you stop paying your electric bill or your rent, it'll show up. They simply have to be a creditor, ie someone that you owe money to, which is exactly the situation in the case of a chargeback.
That being said, from what I've heard, it's pretty easy to tell them to fuck off, especially given the fact that they don't have an SSN from you. If it did show up on your credit, you can dispute it and since they don't have any way to prove it was really you, especially in this day of identity theft, it will be removed.
But you can't say that it is impossible for them to ding your credit if you take no action.

I had the same thing happen for something I sold. It happened 1 day after I got the money. It was an asheron's call account 4 years ago. The person's name on paypal who bought it was Dana. Incidentally he made a character named Dana on the asheron's call account after I got it back by having it recalled.

People sometimes buy items then say their paypal account was stolen or whatever and there is nothing you can do about it.

I still use paypal, but only for items under 100 dollars. Anything over that is money order only. I do that specifically because this happens.

Ventrigo, to transfer over 500 per month out of your paypal account, they require a SS number.

If you stop paying your electric bill or your rent, it'll show up..

I don't think you understand, utilities (atleast in california) require a social security number. Rent, well, don't know, but my mortgage is handled by a bank, and they initially required my social security number for the loan on the home...

They simply have to be a creditor, ie someone that you owe money to, which is exactly the situation in the case of a chargeback.
Paypal is not a creditor...Paypal is simple the middle man, it's sort of like a store...atleast that is how it appears to the credit card agency...

I've been through this before, some A-hole did a chargeback and fucked up my paypal account, paypal got pissed, went after me, I explained the story, I wasn't at fault, they got more pissed because I didn't pay, they never called me, they did mail me a "threat" of a letter stating that if I didn't make my negative account positive, it would be sent to collections, it was all bogus, my credit history reflects nothing, not from transunion, equifax or experian.

So they did not have the legal information to persue this, a credit card company would completely fuck me over, they have all my information, including social security.

There is a difference.

If you had any money in your account at the time consider it a lose if you didn't then you won't lose any money unless you try to pay for something on paypal. Paypal can't hurt your credit unless you gave them your ssn. They might call you or send a letter to you saying they will take action unless you pay your neg balance but in the end they don't do anything. This samething happened to me a few years ago when i sold a laptop on ebay but lucky for me the same night i got the funds i ordered all the parts for my new rig and when the chargeback came i didn't have anything in there.

So lemme try to understand something. If your PayPal balance is zero when they attempt to charge-back...

1) do they try to withdraw the money from your linked bank account?

2) if said bank account is empty, do they attempt to draw funds from your linked CC's?

So lemme try to understand something. If your PayPal balance is zero when they attempt to charge-back...

1) do they try to withdraw the money from your linked bank account?

2) if said bank account is empty, do they attempt to draw funds from your linked CC's?

Yes, and yes. So make sure to call your bank and ask them to not authorize PayPal to make such charges. Then, it's a one-way street in your favor.

Yes, and yes. So make sure to call your bank and ask them to not authorize PayPal to make such charges. Then, it's a one-way street in your favor.

Sorry, but, no.
A couple of years ago, this would have been true.
Remember the whole class-action lawsuit thing? Well, one of the changes they made in the wake of that was that they no longer will go after your funding sources like that, they'll just send your PP balance into the negative. You can either pay it or they'll send a collections agency after you.

RangerSVT: Fair enough. Having your SSN will greatly increase how much success they will have in making stuff stick. I don't deny that. But not having it won't stop paypal or the collections agency from trying to screw up your credit over this.

RangerSVT: Fair enough. Having your SSN will greatly increase how much success they will have in making stuff stick. I don't deny that. But not having it won't stop paypal or the collections agency from trying to screw up your credit over this.

Actually paypal really cant touch your credit. My wife has been in collections for 7 years and she just looked over this thread and said

"even if paypal gives it to collections, if the collection agency tries touching your credit they are breaking the law and when collection agencies break the law like that a simple call from a lawyer most of the time will result in the agency eating the debt"

She went on to say that if you do not use your SSN to sign up for anything it cannot come back to your credit and if they try it is very easy to get it removed.

I went through the same thing as the OP 3 years ago and will not touch paypal anymore.

Thanks all and hearing some of the comments is a relief. So glad I pulled the couple hundred dollars I had in there a few days ago. If was a mistake on my part I would pay but to have a chargeback four months later on a confirmed addresses over what they say is a unauthorized payment is wrong on there part IMO. Waiting for them to finishing reviewing this case.:mad:

Pretty sure it was for another thread. Once the search comes back I really have to dig through my threads.

Actually paypal really cant touch your credit. My wife has been in collections for 7 years and she just looked over this thread and said

"even if paypal gives it to collections, if the collection agency tries touching your credit they are breaking the law and when collection agencies break the law like that a simple call from a lawyer most of the time will result in the agency eating the debt"

She went on to say that if you do not use your SSN to sign up for anything it cannot come back to your credit and if they try it is very easy to get it removed.

I went through the same thing as the OP 3 years ago and will not touch paypal anymore.

Is she contending that Paypal (and therefore the collection agency that is either assigned or sold the debt) would be unable to verify the debt, thereby making it illegal to report under the FCRA?

If so, that would make sense and mesh with the googling I've been doing.

I guess the moral to this story is that if you use Paypal, you are using it at your own risk.

... and if you do use Paypal, keep a $0 balance in your account (until you wish to buy something of course).

I keep getting more and more nervous using paypal... it's convenient but damn I've heard some bad stories... I also ship to verified addresses.. and have been using paypal without issue for 2 years now.

I had one company not ship my products to me, I reported it to paypal, they never replied, ruled my favor and returned my money :D

Never had any chargebacks though, thankfully...

Sorry, but, no.
A couple of years ago, this would have been true.

Hey, don't be sorry, that's great news! I didn't follow that class action suit, so I'm glad that some good came of it.

As you said in a later post, I believe that the credit issue centers around positively identifying the debtor, which a third party can't do without an SSN.

I signed up with seasoft like over a year ago for a 1 year sub to the firmware for the linksys. So a year later I get an email from paypal saying they auto paid the electronic renewal from seasoft... WTF

I wrote them back and said why are you paying for something I wouldn't have renewed and without my consent. Of course paypal CS sucks since it outsourced and the just couldn't understand and made me change my passwords and a new CC saying my acct may have been hacked, yea right auto paying a renewal... That doesn't sound legal

Dil

I signed up with seasoft like over a year ago for a 1 year sub to the firmware for the linksys. So a year later I get an email from paypal saying they auto paid the electronic renewal from seasoft... WTF

I wrote them back and said why are you paying for something I wouldn't have renewed and without my consent. Of course paypal CS sucks since it outsourced and the just couldn't understand and made me change my passwords and a new CC saying my acct may have been hacked, yea right auto paying a renewal... That doesn't sound legal

Dil

Assholes.

It pays to read the fine print as most contracts have a clause that says something like" to be renewed annually unless canceled by the customer"Kinda like signing up for FREE something and receiving a mag subscription in the mail that U didn't order. BUT U did over in the corner where it says " Uncheck this box if U don't want our offer".:D

Back