The ultimate gaming headset? (Beyerdynamic DT 770 microphone mod)

craigbru

[H]ard|Gawd
Who says you have to compromise to get a get a mic and great cans? This was a pretty simple mod, yet it took a little time to get it all figured it out. I had the following goals in mind when I set out to add a microphone to my Beyer's.

1.) There was to be no modification of the headset. It had to be completely stock.
2.) Due to the above condition, the mic had to be removable when not in use.
3.) The mic had to look like it belonged.
4.) It had to be practical, and completely functional.

I came up with the following base upon those 4 points above.

Right here are the materials I needed. I've got a piece of aluminum sheet, a package of stick on velcro, a 10' mini plug extension cable, and finally an inexpensive headset with mic. This last part was crucial. I only payed about $8 for it, but it was perfect for my needs. The flexible and detachable mic boom was exactly what I was after.

img2255zt2.jpg

This is the piece of aluminum that I cut after a little trial and error.

img2257td7.jpg

Here is that same aluminum piece cleaned up, sanded, and bent to fit around the headset cup. I have also painted it with a black textured finish to match the plastic on the Beyer's.

img2258dv3.jpg

Here I have attached the extension cable to the bracket. In this picture I have used electrical tape, but will attach it using heatshrink tubing as soon as I get some.

img2259ri7.jpg

Here is the bracket attached to the Beyer's. Looks factory enough, huh?

img2260xo2.jpg

I used the velcro to attached cords to keep them organized.

img2261rt7.jpg

I'm very happy with the way that these turned out. It truly does give me the best of both worlds. Now, it's time to get my game on!

Sweet job!

Just FYI though, there is a version of the new DT770 with a built in mic :p

Ultimate = those cans + stand up Logitech usb mic. Why do you need it attached to your headphones? I come in clear as a bell on mine. Excellent cans =)

Hot dam! That's a fine job! It does almost look stock.

Just goes to show what can result from ambition and a little know-how.

You just kicked it up a notch!

towert7 said:
I belive beyer said it actually was moddified from the normal DT770pro.
Geared towards aviation.

Would it be the HS 300's? They're the only aviation phones listed on Beyer's site.

HS-300 aren't the same. B/C aviation is focused around the voices, they aren't that great. I remember reading a post on head-fi that was breaking it down.

kaluminati said:
Ultimate = those cans + stand up Logitech usb mic. Why do you need it attached to your headphones? I come in clear as a bell on mine. Excellent cans =)

I actually looked at getting a Logitech USB mic before I decided to do this mod. It came down to the fact that I simply didn't want one more thing sitting on my desk. I just wanted a mic that I didn't have to think about. This was the answer for me. Although, I suppose I could just as easily strap the Logitech mic to the bracket I made... :D

DarkfallFan said:
HS-300 aren't the same. B/C aviation is focused around the voices, they aren't that great. I remember reading a post on head-fi that was breaking it down.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do think I remember reading something about that...

Great job!

DarkfallFan said:

Yes, they are the same. Look up the thread here I created named 'For the gamers' or something like that. A european Beyer spokesperson/distributor on Head-Fi has verified that the HS-300 is actually a DT770 with a MIC.

Edit, here it is.
Read here

digitalmind said:
Great job!

Yes, they are the same. Look up the thread here I created named 'For the gamers' or something like that. A european Beyer spokesperson/distributor on Head-Fi has verified that the HS-300 is actually a DT770 with a MIC.

Edit, here it is.
Read here

Hmm, how did I miss that thread? I'm a regular abuser of the search box. :D Have you heard of anyone that has actually purchased one?

digitalmind said:
Great job!

Edit, here it is.
Read here

I remember reading a post on head-fi where a poster quoted someone who works for Beyer stating that they would not work as good as DT-770s.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184966&highlight=HS-300

Read last post in that thread.

I don't know the validity of the last post though. :confused:

DarkfallFan said:
I remember reading a post on head-fi where a poster quoted someone who works for Beyer stating that they would not work as good as DT-770s.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184966&highlight=HS-300

Read last post in that thread.

I don't know the validity of the last post though. :confused:

Wow, now there's a nice contradiction. One beyer spokesperson saying it's just a DT770 with a MIC, and then one saying it's not. This is interesting, I'll be calling Beyer on monday to get to the bottom of this. Thanks for bringing that post to my attention, I definitely won't say that it's the same untill we figure out the real answer. :)

digitalmind said:
Wow, now there's a nice contradiction. One beyer spokesperson saying it's just a DT770 with a MIC, and then one saying it's not. This is interesting, I'll be calling Beyer on monday to get to the bottom of this. Thanks for bringing that post to my attention, I definitely won't say that it's the same untill we figure out the real answer. :)

Yeah. I'd love for them to be the same but I'd want to be damn sure for $300 lol.

Here are a few updated pics.

The tape has been replaced with shrink wrap tubing. It looks a little more finished off, and holds very securely.

img2264jb5.jpg

Here are a few more shots of the completed mod.

img2266jl1.jpg

img2270dk2.jpg

Back