Better Networks thru Real Cable Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ed Stoneberger here. I built Neat-Patch as a result of my experiences as a cabling contractor. A customer told me about the Hard Forum and I wanted to check it out. I appreciate the kind words and wanted to post a few pics to show you what we build and how easy and simple it is.

DSCN0437.jpg

The ability to store excess patch cable inside the rack rails allows the IT manager to take advantage of the numbers game on the front of the rack. The lowest common denominator on any equipment rack is the number 48, which equals a 1U 48 port ethernet switch. Now if you place an NP2K648 between a 48 port patch panel (top) and a 48 port switch (bottom), the first thing you're going to come back with is "what if I'm not using all the ports on my patch panel"? No problem. Assuming you have future plans for the unused ports, you'll leave a 1U blank panel below the switch. Then below that blank, you'll place another Neat-Patch and your next 48 port patch panel. If you're using at least 50% of the ports on the patch panel, you'll fill up that 48 port switch without the need for any patch cable longer than our Fluke Certified CAT6 2 footers. Remember Confuscious say "the shorter the cable, the more control you have over it!" You're working with a 19" rack, a much less expensive 2ft cable will connect you anywhere between the rails and leave only enough slack to form a single coil, which provides the bend radius for optimal bandwidth. This layout is full of fringe benefits and I've yet to find a downfall. Neatness, organization, better rear management, bend radius compliance, and a minimum $2,000 savings per 7ft rack, what more could you ask?

Blue%20Closeup.jpg

As I said, you don't have to use all the ports.

2rowavefull.jpg

The ports don't have to line up.

RWB-4-Ad.jpg

Rear management is now relocated where it belongs, behind the patch panel, not above and below taking up 6 rack spaces to dress up a 2U panel. Now when the installer punches down that last cable, all he has to do is snap in fasteners and a cover in all of about 15 seconds. Yeah, we made his job easier too.

DSCN0420.jpg

DSCN0445.jpg

Uniformity and bend radius control. Let's see Panduit and the others do that. Wait a minute, let's not.

DSCN0440.jpg

Experience the power of the 2ft cable and storage inside the rack rails. I doubt you'll ever go back to the old mess. Be sure and visit our website. Download our cabling guide. Over 30 pages full of layouts and ideas based on various styles of switches and equipment. Where do you buy Neat-Patch? Click here

Neat-Patch
Organization is Everything.​

spam? That still looks like crap anyway. Ive seen non network electricians in louisiana figure out how to organize cat5e better than that.

post reported to the admins...

Everyone refrain from flaming/trolling please.

I'm sure after spamming a forum his product is about as appealing as Arthur Ashe's blood.

You're copying my networks....I usually use 1 foot cables though. That way you don't even need that bundled mess in the middle.

That hub in there....OUT...time to upgrade to switches! Hubs are extinct man.

Better yet show me how this works with a Cisco 6509 with 7 48 port cards in it. If you run the cables in front of the cards and you ever have to remove one (like a supervisor), your screwed. This looks sort of nice if all you have is non modular switches, but then again we move connections around so much you could easly end up with a knot, and less access to it by putting it in a box like that.

lol @ neat looking racks idea

there is no such thing and really , who cares? It's supposed to be functional, easy to maintain and flexible , neat isn't really on top of my list (there is a difference between anally neat like that and what I guess I would call safe cabling, of course if you have 50' cables connecting things that are 1' away from each other and people are tripping over the excess wire on the floor then you have issues...)

Just to keep the discussion going...

http://www.neatpatch.com/Leviton.htm

Ok, IF I were to buy a new rack and wanted to set it up from scratch then I probably would give you guys a chance and go with your products, but $250 savings per rack? That would never convince me to actually redo a rack. That's chump change in the long run for the time spent at redoing a rack...

not saying it's a bad product, but maybe there is a better way to market it, I certainly wouldn't push the savings aspect as much as it's not enough to matter.

The Cisco 6509 chassis. Chassis's area big contributor to the problem. All that port density sacrifices any hopes of cable management and the blades in the middle are famous for heat related failure.

This is a great example. While this is not a chassis, it does replicate the chassis formation.

ISDBEFORE1.jpg

Live by the chassis, die by the chassis!

Chassis-Before.jpg

Now look what happens when you layer out the network.

REARRANGED1.jpg

COILEDLEFT.jpg

COVERED1.jpg

Today, 10:34 AM #6
YeOldeStonecat [H]ard|Gawd

You're copying my networks....I usually use 1 foot cables though. That way you don't even need that bundled mess in the middle.

That hub in there....OUT...time to upgrade to switches! Hubs are extinct man.

These are switches. Dell 3448's.

Today, 10:07 AM #3
4saken Limp Gawd

spam? That still looks like crap anyway. Ive seen non network electricians in louisiana figure out how to organize cat5e better than that.

4saken,

You know the old saying you can lead a horse to water. Actually I'm quite surprised. Most folks find this to be a superior product, but you are entitled to your opinion. As far as spamming, there are a lot of compliments on this site for my solution, I just wanted to thank everyone and place some of my own photos of Neat-Patch up here. Shoot every one else is, why can't I? There's one in every crowd. But I'll be happy to challenge anyone to a rack building contest based on Neatness, Organization, Time of Completion, Simplicty, Price, Bend Radius, ... what do you think 4saken, think you're up for it?
Better read the article in Server Room Stuff about the last guys who took that challenge before answering. Good Luck!

Today, 11:40 AM #8
moetop Limp Gawd

Better yet show me how this works with a Cisco 6509 with 7 48 port cards in it. If you run the cables in front of the cards and you ever have to remove one (like a supervisor), your screwed. This looks sort of nice if all you have is non modular switches, but then again we move connections around so much you could easly end up with a knot, and less access to it by putting it in a box like that.

As I've shown you above chassis's have their problems, but the fleas come with the dog. If you've got a better solution, I'd love to see it. I'm always looking for ways to improve. As far as add's, moves and changes, it's not complicated. A LAN switch doesn't care what port you use unless you're in a VLAN or the expansion port (which should be fiber). Simply line up with the appropriate slot. Simple, easy. But a box like that sure beats pouring senseless amounts of copper (at about a buck a foot) down the sides until you can't even get a cover on it let alone try to trace, troubleshoot or anything remotely close to the manage. The bottom line here folks is I came here to show gratitude, not exchange verbal abuse. If you like the messes of the past 30 years, hey it's a free country. If you want to take control of your network and save thousands per rack, we have what you need. Thanks!

THENetworkdesigner said:
As far as spamming, there are a lot of compliments on this site for my solution, I just wanted to thank everyone and place some of my own photos of Neat-Patch up here. Shoot every one else is, why can't I? There's one in every crowd.

First it's not just one in this crowd.

Second, lots of people post pictures of their rack work, so many in fact that we have a special subforum for it called the Networking Gallery:
http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95

And lastly it's SPAM because you directly pimp selling your gear to the forum.
Where do you buy Neat-Patch? Click here

You post is nothing more than a long sales pitch to the members of this forum.

Reported as spam.

EDIT: and just because I'm on lunch, couple of searches on the user name you choose:
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/81019
Gives us the same type of spam on the oreillynet forums.

nice product, doesnt seem THAT special, properly designed systems are just as effecient.

cableorganizer has just about everything you need to do it right.

I personally am no longer interested due to the spamming but to each they can make their own decision.

THENetworkdesigner said:
T
Today, 10:07 AM #3
4saken Limp Gawd

4saken,

You know the old saying you can lead a horse to water. Actually I'm quite surprised. Most folks find this to be a superior product, but you are entitled to your opinion. As far as spamming, there are a lot of compliments on this site for my solution, I just wanted to thank everyone and place some of my own photos of Neat-Patch up here. Shoot every one else is, why can't I? There's one in every crowd. But I'll be happy to challenge anyone to a rack building contest based on Neatness, Organization, Time of Completion, Simplicty, Price, Bend Radius, ... what do you think 4saken, think you're up for it?
Better read the article in Server Room Stuff about the last guys who took that challenge before answering. Good Luck!

*edit, someone should lock this thread before i get myself banned for saying dumb stuff.

Not sure why everyone is complaining like a bunch of girls but I think it all looks good :confused:

THENetworkdesigner said:
The Cisco 6509 chassis. Chassis's area big contributor to the problem. All that port density sacrifices any hopes of cable management and the blades in the middle are famous for heat related failure.

This is a great example. While this is not a chassis, it does replicate the chassis formation.

Live by the chassis, die by the chassis!

Now look what happens when you layer out the network.

Today, 11:40 AM #8
moetop Limp Gawd

As I've shown you above chassis's have their problems, but the fleas come with the dog. If you've got a better solution, I'd love to see it. I'm always looking for ways to improve. As far as add's, moves and changes, it's not complicated. A LAN switch doesn't care what port you use unless you're in a VLAN or the expansion port (which should be fiber). Simply line up with the appropriate slot. Simple, easy. But a box like that sure beats pouring senseless amounts of copper (at about a buck a foot) down the sides until you can't even get a cover on it let alone try to trace, troubleshoot or anything remotely close to the manage. The bottom line here folks is I came here to show gratitude, not exchange verbal abuse. If you like the messes of the past 30 years, hey it's a free country. If you want to take control of your network and save thousands per rack, we have what you need. Thanks!

Quite frankly I'll take chassis over 1-2 U any day. Most 1U do not have power or processor redundancy, and belittling a technology that doesent compliment your product does nothing for it's reputation. In our situation we do care what port we use due to VLANing, so that does relate to the chance of tangling the cables and or not being able to adhere to your cable routing methodology.

What we have now works as well or better in a chassis system without taking up rack space. (I wish I could show you pictures, but policy is strict about cameras and the distribution of pictures) If I were in a 1-2 U switch environment with a flat network (No multiple VLans per switch or closet) I might consider this product. Heres some suggestions.

- Make it so the back opens, or just make it so there is no back or top to it. It allows better visibility, less plastic = less cost and better ease of access just in case of a cable knot.

- Make it out of clear or translucent plastic so there is better visibility.

- Maybe make dividers in the box. i.e. if you have a chassis situation and they are on the left or right you can divide the cables up so you dont get any tangles.

I would be interested in seeing some pics of alternative methods if anyone has some. I am a student now but I would like to get into netowrking stuff. Since some of you don't like this method perhaps you could post some alternatives since this is just a spam thread anyway.

I think you would have had a better welcome if you were offering us a discount of some sort, like newegg does. I have used your products and while they are nice, they are a bit pricey..I can buy a normal panduit cable organizer through blackbox or whoever for about $25-35 and achieve similar results using 1 or 2 foot patch cables that only cost me 50c-75c a piece, ortronics or siemon brand.

i would be interested if it were mesh instead of plastic just for flow throughout the rack.

If you want to advertise here speaking to kyle would be the suggested course of action.

Kaos said:
If you want to advertise here speaking to kyle would be the suggested course of action.

Not just suggested:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=760666
(19) ADVERTISING, site pimping, contests or any type of business promotion is not permitted. Soliciting for fraternal organizations, humanitarian causes or personal rewards is prohibited unless approved prior to posting.

Pretty much a given to avoid banning.

You know this is the first time I ever posted to a bulletin board and if I placed these photos in the wrong place, I apologize. Someone mentioned the network gallery and perhaps I made a mistake, but as I perused this site, I notice there are a lot of people pitching this and that. Some have manners, some choose to knitpick about trivial differences and some are just plain rude. Whether you're expressing your opinion or sharing ideas, you're still pitching, selling, pimping, or whatever you choose to call it. One picture was a hub, the rest of the photos were switches, so you win if it makes you feel better. But I've made my apology and I meant it. If my well meant intrusion is the worst thing that ever happens to you, I think you're going to be OK.

Everything-Hot-7ft-Rack.jpg

But there facts about Neat-Patch that no one can deny.

For the past 30 years, we've been trying to expire cable in a trough system that was never designed to hold all the excess and still doesn't to this day. Most of the photos I've seen here are proof. The ones that did look good required a lot more effort than the insertion of Neat-Patch's single coil circuits.

Neat-Patch can store 384 workstations neatly in a 7ft rack and still allow room for a Fiber Drawer and a Rack Mount UPS (As shown).

It is the only bend radius compliant manager in existence per BICSI Standards.

If you compare it to the traditional option of 8 Panduit WMP1E's @ $65.00 each, 2 Panduit Vertical Managers @ $250.00 each or the Patch Runner for much more (although it does nothing more), and 384 Panduit 10' CAT6 Patch Cables @ $10.00 each (and that's being conservative), you'll spend over $5200.00 for a mess.

I'll do the same job as shown in this thread's photos (I know, I do it all the time) for $1600.

So if you really have an extra $3600 to blow and don't mind fighting patch cable, Panduit, Siemons, Ortronics, etc., will be happy to take your money. If you want a simple solution for a lot less money, there are plenty of testimonials (even on this site) and we have distributors in every major city in the U.S. that can help you decide. Thanks for the compliments and the interesting criticism.

It looks great and I'd have been willing to read but you still did it wrong. You broke the forum rules so would a mod please lock this.

OK, I'll bite. I am not a bulletin board user and I clicked on the posting rules button down below and all it says is You can Post, etc.,. I'm not trying to break any rules, but if I could find them that would be helpful. Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back