• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recent content by ZorMonkey

  1. Z

    CPU fried after core unlock attempt?

    ZorMonkey, you're an idiot. 2 short beeps means "Hey you cleared the CMOS and I can't boot until you set the system time." Plus, either the bios or your cheap hdtv aren't able to display the message over hdmi. Plug in a vga monitor, and you'll be able to fix everything up.
  2. Z

    CPU fried after core unlock attempt?

    Well, I found part of the problem. Evidently when I was clearing the CMOS I knocked the cpu power cable loose. I guess I had been running with a loose cable for months! Now I need to figure out what else is broken,, or what I broke while troubleshooting... Now I get lights and beeps, but...
  3. Z

    CPU fried after core unlock attempt?

    I've had a Phenom II X2 555 BE running on a an ASUS M4A88T-M for a couple years now. I've had it running with 4 cores unlocked for a while ages ago, but stopped to do instability issues. Well, today I decided to try running unlocked again. I've done some memory, cooling, and PSU upgrades in the...
  4. Z

    Bought wrong mobo/memory. Which to replace?

    Ugh, now I'm worried that the DDR3 memory I have (Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A) will limit my motherboard options. Apparently, the Gigabyte board I was looking at is a bit finicky with Corsair memory. That got me digging into Corsair's motherboard compatibility list. So far I haven't seen too many...
  5. Z

    Bought wrong mobo/memory. Which to replace?

    It is an AM3, but the current motherboard supports that also.
  6. Z

    Bought wrong mobo/memory. Which to replace?

    Actually, the board I was thinking of upgrading to does NOT support USB 3.0. That's the GA-880GMA-UD2H. That one would be about $30 more overall, which, along with the higher return shipping costs for a MB vs memory, is enough more to make me rethink downgrading the memory. Maybe. I'm almost...
  7. Z

    Bought wrong mobo/memory. Which to replace?

    Yeah, if I downgraded the memory I'd actually pay around $5 more for DDR2 than DDR3 - at least for what I've been looking at. The motherboard would cost me about $20 more overall, but at least that'd be an upgrade. I've already got the processor and heatsink on the motherboard, so taking it...
  8. Z

    Bought wrong mobo/memory. Which to replace?

    So, I'm a dummy. I purchased a bunch of parts for a media center and light gaming PC. The motherboard I chose was the Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H, and for memory I chose 4GB of Corsair DDR3 1333MHz. Well, the motherboard doesn't support DDR3 memory, only DDR2. Yeah. Imagine my surprise when I...
  9. Z

    Help upgrading crusty old system into crusty new system!

    I meant, my old motherboard didnt have SATA, so I used to have it plugged into a controller card. Although, I did try it in the new system, just to see if it made a difference. It didnt.
  10. Z

    Help upgrading crusty old system into crusty new system!

    Little update... I ended up going with the Ninja, just because Newegg put it on sale right as I was finalizing my order. Didnt have to make 2 orders, plus it turned out to be like $1 cheaper! Hooray! :P Got the parts on Friday night, and finally got my system up and running about an hour or...
  11. Z

    Help upgrading crusty old system into crusty new system!

    I did some research on the X1950Pro, and you've convinced me. I may spring the extra $13 for the ASUS EAX1950PRO though - there are too many people complaining about the Sapphire overheating for my tastes. I've had enough problems with overheating video cards. Plus, Sapphire is the brand that I...
  12. Z

    Help upgrading crusty old system into crusty new system!

    Thanks for the suggestions! For the MB, I'd like to have firewire. I already have a firewire PCI card, but I didnt want to burn a PCI slot on that if I didnt have to. But you're right, it probably makes sense to go with the cheaper option. For the heatsink, I only picked it because I've...
  13. Z

    Help upgrading crusty old system into crusty new system!

    Heres my current PC specs, originally built in 2001 and upgraded a few times since: Case: Antec SX1040 SOHO File Server MB: Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ CPU: Athlon XP 1900+ (1.6 Ghz) Memory: 768MB Video Card: Radeon 9600 Sound Card: Soundblaster Live! 5.1 IDE HD: 120GB WD, 60GB WD SATA HD: 320GB...
Back
Top