Recent content by zliqdedo

  1. Z

    Performance Nirvana or How to Build an Enthusiast-Grade Configuration for a Grand

    There is always more than one way to make a build. This 'guide' is about the unique opportunity of today to build an enthusiast configuration for a thousand dollars. It's not about good or bad choices, but smart ones that will get the job done without skimping on quality; you can always spend...
  2. Z

    Performance Nirvana or How to Build an Enthusiast-Grade Configuration for a Grand

    Straight to the point – what makes this possible is the unique way NVIDIA chose to differentiate their product line-up. At the high-end they have one GPU to work with (GK104) which is a relatively small GPU, similar to what we got in the GTX 560 Ti (GF114) from the previous generation. All...
  3. Z

    Radeon 5770 replaced in the 6xxx lineup anytime soon?

    Galaxy (KFA2) recently released a single-slot GeForce GTX 460. It's currently the fastest single-slot solution on the market. However, new additions in the 500-series (e.g. 530, 550) and 6000-series (e.g. 67**) might change that. Do note that the 460 has a tad higher power consumption - about...
  4. Z

    Asus VH226H

    Hello. I bought this monitor but I'm having an issue. When I try playing games at 1280x720 and 1366x768 I get black bars all around the picture (720p) or on top&bottom (13x7). I didn't use to get bars at 13x7 but one day, for no apparent reason, they were there. I haven't changed the cable...
  5. Z

    Silverstone ST45SF SFX 450w PSU

    Even if power consumption is 185W, it's still doable, I think. 185W (CPU + MB, etc) + 210W (GPU) = 395W which is reasonably below 436W, right?
  6. Z

    Silverstone ST45SF SFX 450w PSU

    Thanks for your comments guys. You've been very helpful. Gaming is the harshest thing I'll be doing with this system. Anyway, I could OC a bit lower (say, at 160) just to be extra safe. By the way, what do you think about overclocking the GPU? Is it possible to OC the 470 by 5%-10% in this...
  7. Z

    Silverstone ST45SF SFX 450w PSU

    Do you think it's possible to overclock an i5-750 up to 3.6 GHz (with turbo) with the ST45SF. I did a research but I'm still unsure. Here's what I found out: * The i5-750 can reach 3.6 GHz without a voltage increase. * Required bus speed - about 175 MHz. * DFI's safety regulation for...
  8. Z

    Alienware m11x

    I understand that and I'm not trying to compare the m11x to the Z. Of course, they're in different markets, I'm simply using the Z to illustrate that there's no hardware issue with the m11x running a faster CPU. As for the price: sure, a faster CPU would be more expensive but what's wrong with...
  9. Z

    Alienware m11x

    What do you mean? I know when the notebook was released and I can't see how this has anything to do with what I previously said. Yes, they will most likely put an iX CPU in the refresh. Also, they'll most likely put an ultra low voltage iX and not a regular or low voltage one. I'm simply...
  10. Z

    Alienware m11x

    I don't get why they can't put a faster CPU in the m11x. The Sony Vaio Z has a thinner chassis, 330m, a regular CPU (35W) and still has a decent battery life, not to mention it's more than a pound lighter. If they are so unwilling to put a regular CPU they should at least put a low voltage one...
  11. Z

    Silverstone ST45SF SFX 450w PSU

    Why would you say it's discontinued? I thought it was just out of stock.
  12. Z

    Alienware m11x

    I saw a review that covered WoW gameplay. The game runs on ultra settings at the native resolution (1366 x 768), no problem whatsoever. See for yourself - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Ssqvy7SYU P.S. You really don't need the SU7300, the performance is virtually the same with the SU4100.
  13. Z

    Alienware m11x

    Depends on what you're expecting. Even today there're games that the m11x struggles to play (Bad Company 2, Metro 2033, etc.) In two years time, there will certainly be games that will be quite hard, if not impossible, for the m11x. However, there'll be a lot of games that will be manageable as...
  14. Z

    Alienware m11x

    What CPU do you guys think they'll put in the new m11x? As far as I can see they have three options: i5-520UM (3M, 1.06 - 1.86 GHz) i7-620UM (4M, 1.06 - 2.13 GHz) i7-640UM (4M, 1.20 - 2.26 GHz) All of those have a TDP of 18W and cost $241, $278 and $305 respectively. Do you think they...
  15. Z

    Silverstone ST45SF SFX 450w PSU

    Wow! Amazing explanation. The picture in my head is much more clear now. Thanks!
Back
Top