Recent content by yummygizzards

  1. Y

    Proxmox / LXC file sharing / Quick Sync questions

    Ready4Dis, thanks. This is sort of why I liked nas4free up to this point, it is pretty lightweight and upgrading / backups are easy. I completely agree with the idea of keeping the host OS separate from the services provided by VMs / containers for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I guess...
  2. Y

    Proxmox / LXC file sharing / Quick Sync questions

    I am planning to migrate my small home VM server from ESXi to Proxmox. The main objectives are to add a Windows VM with QuickSync to the server to try out BlueIris and use the limited amount of RAM on this system more effectively. In general many of the services on VMs now could probably...
  3. Y

    Sigh... Xeon POST / IPMI troubles

    SM support got back to me and thinks the board is bad... ugh. I will probably abandon getting the E3-1245 v2 back up and get a off-lease 4th or 6th generation Optiplex or Thinkcentre SFF instead, rather than rolling the dice with another used LGA1155 server MB. I just need another system to...
  4. Y

    Sigh... Xeon POST / IPMI troubles

    Thanks for the info and perspective. I contacted SM support and they were able to look up the S/N and confirmed the board was shipped with BIOS 2.0b, which should support IB CPUs. I removed the board from the chassis, removed the coin battery for a few days, reseated the CPU, and still no...
  5. Y

    Sigh... Xeon POST / IPMI troubles

    I could use some help diagnosing problems with POST and IPMI on a x9scm-F I got off of Ebay recently. CPU is E3-1245v2, RAM is Crucial DDR3 ECC 8 gb, and PSU is Seasonic S12ii 430w. Basically, after connecting the 24 pin ATX power + 8 pin +12V power, the standby light (LE3 in the MB manual)...
  6. Y

    The Router Recommendations Thread (Consumer)

    Yes, I should have clarified the whole problem and plan. Both the first and second floors have cat5e drops at about the same location, roughly on top of one another. Both are in closets. Each IP camera is only about 20-30 feet from the Lite (in the x-y plane) and perhaps 12 feet in the z...
  7. Y

    The Router Recommendations Thread (Consumer)

    Can I ask if you noticed any differences in connectivity for 2.4 Ghz devices at a distance from the AP? We just moved and my UAP-AC-LITE is having trouble with IP cameras and our doorbell that are at the periphery of the house. Old house was new construction, 2000 sq ft, three stories, approx...
  8. Y

    Strategy to expand a ZFS mirror pool

    I think this is the same as option #2 - make a new array with two, single drive vdevs (ie no redundancy), copy data over, then break down the old array and move the drives to the new one to re-establish redundancy as mirror vdevs. I am leaning towards option 1 and perhaps copying data around...
  9. Y

    Strategy to expand a ZFS mirror pool

    So, it sounds like testing the drives is critical but beyond that creating a balanced vs unbalanced striped mirror is not that important. Hmm, this seems "fraud-y" to me so no thanks. Plus I need the new drives to expand the pool size!
  10. Y

    Strategy to expand a ZFS mirror pool

    Well, that's true. I guess I thought if a predisposition to failure occurred in this batch of drives or during shipping, both new drives would be equally prone to failure. So no good reason to go through the process of strategy #2?
  11. Y

    Strategy to expand a ZFS mirror pool

    I currently have two HGST Deskstar NAS 4 tb drives configured as a single vdev (ZFS mirror) in nas4free. The drives are ~2.5 years old and have no S.M.A.R.T errors and all scrubs have been clean. The pool is at ~90% capacity and I want to add another two HGST Desktar NAS 4 tb drives to enlarge...
  12. Y

    Info / help with a Raspberry Pi build

    If your TV supports HDMI-CEC, you can use your TV remote to control the raspberry pi. I use my Panasonic Plasma TV remote to move left, right, up, down, etc on Kodi. As far as the streaming services, I am not sure if any of them will allow you to use a raspberry pi and Kodi due to DRM. Some...
  13. Y

    Like them or not, Google's Pixel phones will be the iPhone competitor we've demanded for years

    As already mentioned a significant amount of focus was on Google Assistant and it's new (?) features. Did they specifically state which existing devices Google Assistant would be compatible with? Does it require specific hardware, found only in the Pixels / Home, or will it be "back-portable"...
  14. Y

    Wanting to buy & build my first DIY NAS, can you help out? (Parts advice)

    In almost all cases, the key to add a desktop OS to the NAS is support of virtualization by both the CPU and the motherboard. I am not familiar with AMD at all to know whether this APU and board support AMD-V. For this option to work best, you will probably also need another PCIe GPU to pass...
  15. Y

    Wanting to buy & build my first DIY NAS, can you help out? (Parts advice)

    OP, I was in a very similar situation as you a few years ago - needed a NAS for basic home needs, mostly backup for various PCs and Macs, central and larger storage for TV recordings and other streamable media, etc. Elected to build my own rather than go with a Synology. TBH in retrospect, I'd...
Back
Top