I have a similar setup as you do and I use Win 8.1. Read speeds are fine and write speeds are slow. I have never owned a green drive, but the new 4TB seagates power down in a similar manner. Storage Spaces work fine with them, it just takes a sec to spin up. Parity is super simple to use. I know...
Personally I like using Windows 8.1. It is super slow, but on the other hand it is super slow. I enjoyed FreeNAS when I used it, but the wife always had trouble using it. Win 8 just works for me. Did I mention how SLOW it is?
This is one of the reasons I am willing to pay more for certain items. If it fails or gives me too many issues it shall be returned to Newegg. I am going to be continuing my research and hopefully when my items arrive I will be able to ask for help more pointedly.
In total I am looking at $1500 for purchases tonight. I bought the LSI 9211-8i, the Intel Expander, and 5 forward breakout cables. Those ended up being $550, 5 x 4TB drives were $636 w/tax, and then about $250 in misc items for the computer. This will put me right around 50 TB (ignoring...
Well, it looks like I will be getting the controller and expander. Time to add up these costs and post a list. Super annoyed that I am losing so much space of the "20 TB" I bought. This is not new to me, but it ...irritates.. me to see 20 TB go down to 12 TB by the time I am done.
I did find this which worries me. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1732645
Which also goes back to what a previous posted had mentioned
I am just not certain I want to get 3 of the LSI 9211-8i cards.
Also, I would like to thank all who have been super helpful. I know I am asking quite a...
Just making sure I am understanding this.
6 ports on the intel card. 4-5 ports breakout to my drives. 1-2 ports are filled with cables from the LSI card. If use 1 port from the LSI card I could use the 5 ports for breakout and 1 port from the LSI card for breakout? or Should I be using 4 ports...
Or I suck at math tonight. That might be a good explanation for making that horrible mistake. I do apologize and the wife thoroughly laughed at my expense once she pointed it out to me.
Because most people refer to their wife in the same manner yet they are not accountants. It just gives me a little snicker.
Edit to respond to edit: Because the intel card has 8 ports. I plan on attaching 24 drives.
I just got the go ahead from the CFO (which is funny since she is actually an accountant).
So http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118112 and...
The 9300-8i is HBA also, which still leaves me with the same HBA question. I am not to keen on gaining 8 ports to lose 10. All the m1015 I have found are more than $100 as I am not a fan of ebay and other marketplace sellers as I have had bad experiences in the past with non major retailers.
Also, I am finding some of the cards stating HBA (host bus adapter) and people saying they can not use the sata ports on their motherboard with those cards. Any thoughts or is that a case by case issue. Also, I edited the post prior to your last on staticlag (you were to quick for me tonight.)
Looking at the IBM M1015 card at amazon, http://www.amazon.com/IBM-Serveraid-M1015-Controller-46M0831/dp/B0034DMSO6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top, I noticed one of the reviews mentioned "One important thing to note, is when buying cabling, make sure you're getting a SFF-8087 forward cable, this is...
So, M1015-SAS cable (x2?)-Intel Expander=24 drives. I understand my HDDs are slow but it seems to me that would be quite a bit of data put through the same device. I will plan on using my Optical drive and OS on the native SATA ports.
I kind of like that option as eventually I plan on turning...