A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!
Turn the TV's volume all the way down. I assume you're running an optical or digital coax from the PC's soundcard or mobo to an audio input on your receiver.
Energy - Home Theater Package with Veloyne Subwoofer system for $975 including Kimber Kable speaker cable (a fine brand).
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENKC300VE
And use the balance for a Denon AVR.
Pure Direct may not send an audio signal through the AVR's subwoofer preout, so in that case you can run a second set of speaker cables from the AVR's B speakers output into the subwoofer (with the A speakers output of course going to the main left and right speakers). When not in Pure Direct...
Some Onkyos tend to run real hot; if yours does, you may want to spring for one of these Antec fans http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Profile-Component-Theater-Products/dp/B000QJ4ZE2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243054595&sr=8-3.
Download the pdfs for both the Denon and Onkyo AVRs; I'm fairly certain they will both have the ability to allow the incoming audio signal (that was already processed by the upstream soundcard's DSP) to bypass the AVRs DSP circuitry and get routed directly to the loudspeaker output.
If running stereo analog interconnects to the receiver from the soundcard, see whether either receiver has a Pure Direct or some sort of bypass mode that won't muck up the audio signal.
They all seem to be more expensive now. Reading earlier reviews that had mentioned price and comparing that to current pricing, they all seem to be 20% to 40% more expensive these days
But I guess Moore's Law was never meant to apply to computer-related audiophilia.
After a little more research, it appears the $100 - $200 budget is out the window and replaced with a $300 one.
Two contenders there worth considering are the KECES DA-151 Mk2 and the Musical Fidelity V-DAC.
Chris Martens has a favorable writeup of the V-DAC on this blog...
Sumiko is known for affordable, good quality turntable cartridges, but they're also a distributor for audio components, mainly Pro-Ject turntables and such. Pro-Jects website doesn't have much specification for this USB DAC http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/products/project_design_boxes.htm nor...
The fubar II looked to be just the ticket - it's got just what I need and nothing that I don't need. So I popped on over to Amazon to see if they had a better - they don't ... AudiophileProducts.com sell it on Amazon for 10 bucks than from their own site along the 8 bucks S/H. However, Amazon...
Greets,
At the office I have a stereo system cobbled together from an old Cambridge Audio integrated amp, Rega Planet CD player and Epos bookshelf speakers.
It gets to be a drag bringing in - and taking home - a few CDs every day. So, I've bought a WD terabyte HD and have copied most all...