• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recent content by SemiLucid

  1. S

    2port SATA card reccomendations

    What do people think about the marvel controllers? I have seen some negative reviews when it comes to Windows loading AHCI drivers.
  2. S

    2port SATA card reccomendations

    What do you guys think of the HighPoint Rocket 620? It will be going into a system running Windows and probably dual boot Linux/BSD.
  3. S

    Selectively blocking web sites

    We have a small network of half a dozen PCs. What I want to do is restrict access on two of these machines to approved web sites only (white list). Is there a cost effective way to do this for a business with no specific IT budget? I have tried net filtering software and firewalls in the past...
  4. S

    are enterprise drives really worth it for reliability?

    This is an interesting read Desktop and Notebook Drives Not For the Enterprise . Personally I imagine the enterprise nearline drives are not much better than their consumer grade cousins. It is the 10,000 and 15,000 RPM SAS drives that are orders of magnitude more reliable due to better build...
  5. S

    USB Flash Drives with Write Protect Switches

    I got myself an Imation Clip after finding the following site. http://www.fencepost.net/2010/03/usb-flash-drives-with-hardware-write-protection/ From my experience the write protect switch on the Clip is recessed and difficult to access without a small jewellers screwdriver. The switch is not...
  6. S

    Can I streamline this back up strategy?

    Hi marsboer your program looks really thorough. Would you consider releasing your script? I think It would be useful to allot of people, myself included.
  7. S

    Can I streamline this back up strategy?

    Hi marsboer how do you calculate only the checksums for those files that have changed? Sounds like a great setup and I hope you can share more details. I would like to implement something like this, but am not sure how/where to start.
  8. S

    WD RE drives. SAS or SATA?

    Hi from what I have read MTBF is just a marketing number and not to be taken seriously. At the end of the day the main difference appears to be the interface.
  9. S

    Can I streamline this back up strategy?

    ZFS seems like an awesome file system but don't forget you need to verify any files you transfer between boxes.
  10. S

    Can I streamline this back up strategy?

    The description of your set-up is a little confusing but I think it is fantastic you are checksumming your files. I would like to do the same with my data but don't yet know an effective way to manage this.
  11. S

    .

    Open the drive, remove the platters and apply sandpaper. I watched a video posted on Slashdot where a data recovery expert mentioned he has retrieved data from waterlogged HDDs. These drives had been underwater after some of the hurricane Katrinas you guys experience in the USA...
  12. S

    what software do you use to perform backups

    Robocopy is pretty cool but there is no verification /v available and it skips open/locked files. From what I understand Xcopy has been depreciated in favour of Robocopy. I know there is rsync with cygwin but it butchers file permissions on ntfs. Seriously there must be something better that...
  13. S

    ZFS without ECC RAM and chances of corrupting files?

    Simple question...... would running ZFS without ECC be worse than say similarly running EXT3/4 without ECC memory? Perhaps not so simple answer.
  14. S

    Small business. Management of data and long term storage

    This is a really good queston, and one I have not seen answered adequately for the SOHO segment. I imagine multiple backups and using multiple media would be the key. I would like to see someone answer this post with a time tested solution.
  15. S

    NAS on a budget

    Having ECC memory in your NAS would be best practice. Since we are talking budget build, how about a mini-ITX mobo with integrated cpu? You could slap that into a cheap case or possibly re-purpose an old one. The mini-ITX boards are not going to set any speed records, and usually come with an...
Back
Top