• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recent content by ScarsUnseen

  1. S

    Advice needed on solder paste for HDD controller board re-work

    All the sources I read said that it works almost 100% of the time with IDE controller boards and hardly ever works with SATA controller board, unless you find a close manufacturing date, which still probably won't work. However, in my case, it did work. =)
  2. S

    Advice needed on solder paste for HDD controller board re-work

    SUCCESS!! I ordered a hard drive off ebay with a close manufacturing date to the broken one I have. The broken one is from Sept 30, 2007. The hdd I got off ebay is from Nov 30, 2007. I put the controller board from the ebay hdd onto the broken one... PROBLEM SOLVED. Windows detects the drive...
  3. S

    Advice needed on solder paste for HDD controller board re-work

    Sooo... Before attempting this project, my partner and I successfully removed and reattached IC's on about 100 spare parts for practice with no problems at all. While removing the IC from this controller board, it turns out that there were 5 metal "pads" under the chip that made it...
  4. S

    Advice needed on solder paste for HDD controller board re-work

    It's not my hard drive. It belongs to a local music promotion guy who has ALL of his promo materials on this hard drive. I told him that I could attempt this task and it may or may not be successful, or he'd have to ship it to a lab and pay a TON more as other places have mentioned also to him...
  5. S

    Advice needed on solder paste for HDD controller board re-work

    Thank you for such a thorough response! I'm not a very hardware-oriented person, but my partner is. I will show her your post later. I'm much better with software than hardware for this particular situation, but this is really an excellent learning opportunity for me as well! This sounds like...
  6. S

    Advice needed on solder paste for HDD controller board re-work

    Why? Doesn't lab/clean room recovery usually cost minimum $1000? I'm also attaining knowledge by doing it myself. If I can learn how to do it, why not?
  7. S

    Advice needed on solder paste for HDD controller board re-work

    The hard drive was COMPLETELY dead.. as dead as dead can be. No disc spinning, no power, NOTHING. The old controller board looks like it shorted out. There's small amounts of brown crustiness on it. After replacing the controller board, the hard drive powers up and spins like normal, but...
  8. S

    Advice needed on solder paste for HDD controller board re-work

    Replacing the board works on IDE drive, not SATA. For SATA drive, you're absolutely required to transfer the firmware chip to the new controller board in order to make the data accessible, unless you find a replacement hard drive with the same EXACT manufacture date (which still is not a...
  9. S

    Advice needed on solder paste for HDD controller board re-work

    Using a heat gun, what is the most appropriate type of solder paste for transplanting an IC on a hard drive controller board? BACKSTORY: A SATA drive's old controller board burned out and I have to replace it. I know that in order to be successful, I have to transplant the firmware chip from...
  10. S

    please help with network printer setup

    1-800-HP-Invent I definitely called HP. They apparently aren't trained.
  11. S

    please help with network printer setup

    I did not originally set up this whole network. The original setup was a whole fustercluck and never worked right in the first place. /usr/home - Thanks for that advice. I see HP doesn't even know their own products. If need be, I'll go into the printer settings, but it looks ok now...
  12. S

    please help with network printer setup

    I found it strange also that on the Cisco e2000's settings, you could only customize column D of the DHCP range, but the DIR-655 just worked.
  13. S

    please help with network printer setup

    I talked to 4 people from HP. They all said the same thing. Believe me, I trust you guys over HP, but I just changed out the router and had no problem other than two ancient Dell PC's. The issue also is that they have multiple VSF318's networked together for some reason. They originally had the...
  14. S

    please help with network printer setup

    I spoke to HP again and they said the IP address can NOT be changed. I just replaced the router with a D-Link (DHCP range 192.168.0.2 thru 192.168.0.100) and everything worked fine. I think their router was just crap. I don't really have too much info on the network because I did not do the...
Back
Top