Recent content by savager1

  1. S

    best way to transfer 4TB of data

    Hello, I have roughly 2.7TB (after taking RAID into account) of data that needs to be transferred. The transfer is only on my local LAN between a NAS server and RAID box. Here's an explanation and a list of problems I've encountered. Source device (which has all the files) is a...
  2. S

    Building new PC after a few years out of the scene

    Hello, So, it's been a long time since building my last PC, so I've been out of the scene for a long time. I was thinking about getting the following: Case: Corsair Graphite 600TM Mesh Window Case - $209.00AUD (I would like a case with pretty good air flow and not so flashy)...
  3. S

    Advice on new build please

    Hello, Thanks for all the feedback. Just one last question, I don't want to start a debate or anything but could someone suggest whether I go with Nvidia or AMD for video card? I don't really mind either way, as long as I get better performance than my current 8800GT (which I'm sure isn't...
  4. S

    Advice on new build please

    Hello, I haven't upgraded for ages and thought it might be a good time to upgrade now. My current PC is 3 years old. Not sure whether I should be going AMD/Nvidia. 1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc Browsing, Gaming, Virtualisation 2) What's...
  5. S

    best way to back up 4TB

    Hello, I currently have about 4TB of data that I have backed up. It is currently backed up on a opensolaris box with 4x 1TB drives running RAIDZ1. The data that I have backed up is not critical. That said, I would like to keep it. Now, from my understanding RAIDZ1 is similar to RAID5, which...
  6. S

    Top 7 Reasons People Quit Linux

    Hello, Straight off, want to say, personally I love *nix (so I am from the *nix camp!) People use different OS's for different reasons. I don't like MS Windows XP but I use it for it's game support. (eg. Left4Dead Linux-10fps, Windows-100fps avg at last test, which was a while ago). I...
  7. S

    Linux for a beginner.

    good advice here... I would say Ubuntu cause there should be quite a bit of information floating about the interwebs for it. I am currently running Debian on my work PC, which I was running Ubuntu on before. I can never understand the disgreements with distro's, I've tried many over the...
  8. S

    Options for work machine...

    I do this. I am a Network Engineer for a Service Provider. Running Debian with vmware\Windows for some applications. Works like a dream! No more pointless Windows error messages which make you stupid just by reading them. I did keep my Windows partition until a couple of weeks...
  9. S

    Those who have/are thinking about moveing away from windows.

    I have been using Linux/Windows dual boot for many years. I recently (about 6 months ago) went totally away from Windows and uninstalled it for good and installed a fresh copy of opensuse 11. I still run Windows through vmware, purely for steam friends only. Apart from that I run CrossOver for...
  10. S

    to leave it on or to not leave it on, that is the question

    thanks everyone for your replies. I wouldn't leave my desktop on if I didn't need to use it. Before I was even just paranoid leaving pc on if I was downloading a large torrent or something but with all the replies it makes me relax a bit more and understand leaving it on, probably isn't...
  11. S

    to leave it on or to not leave it on, that is the question

    Hey ppl, I've been using pc's for a while now (since '96 [I know, it's not that long] ). I spend all day and night on pc's (I always have some notebook/pc around me), I work for a service provider and understand that in our data centre, we have many devices (router/switches/servers etc) that...
  12. S

    raid0 setup on ICH9R

    thanks for your help guys.. and axan, thanks for the tip about intel matrix console can you feel the love? :p
  13. S

    raid0 setup on ICH9R

    ah thanks for that mate, however I think I did the same thing myself. I used nLite and slipstreamed into a winxp install CD. Things seem to be a lot faster. Is there any way to test a RAID0 setup to ensure it's all working? Now, when I check in disk management I see one c: drive that is the...
  14. S

    raid0 setup on ICH9R

    um what if you don't have a floppy disk drive?
  15. S

    raid0 setup on ICH9R

    Hello, I have just built my new system with a GA-P35-DS3R motherboard. Just looking through some of the other posts, I have followed most of the steps to generally RAID0: 1/ installed 2x 400GB Seagate 7200.10 Barra's into my rig (along with a storage 500GB Seagate 7200.11 Barra.) For this...
Back
Top