Recent content by Powerhouse64

  1. P

    What VMs are you running and why?

    Ahem, virtualization = VMWare? Strange, I thought Amazon is using Xen? Anyway, I do. And here is my shortlist: Hypervisor: Xen 4.3 Host OS / dom0: Linux Mint 16 VM: Windows 7 Pro 64bit with VGA passthrough The short answer to "why?": Convenience, stability, security. The long answer: I...
  2. P

    XenServer 6.2SP1 GPU Passthrough

    I'm running Xen 4.3 on Linux Mint 16 (Ubuntu 13.10) using the "xm" toolstack. No patches, no nothing. Should work for your hardware too. Here is my how-to, if you are interested: HOW-TO make dual-boot obsolete using XEN VGA passthrough. Some people have done exactly what you are planning to do...
  3. P

    ASUS Official X79 Motherboards Support Thread

    For those who know what VT-d is good for, here's my BIOS upgrade experience (if you run Windows, don't read any further): Hardware: Asus Sabertooth X79 BIOS release before update: 1203 (yes, that ancient one from mid-2012) BIOS release when converting ROM to CAP: 2104 BIOS release after latest...
  4. P

    ASUS Official X79 Motherboards Support Thread

    I got my Sabertooth X79 in April 2012, so if you bought recently they may ship with newer drivers. Here is what I could make out. In MB SUPPORT CD/Drivers/Audio/Driver/Vista64/HDX*.inf and /Vista/HDX*.inf files: [Strings] MfgName="Realtek" ; not sure if this is localizable...
  5. P

    Stay away from ASUS products.

    @ OP: Any response from Asus via Raja ?
  6. P

    Virtualization users: Have you used AMD-V (IOMMU) ? Please post your mobo/BIOS info

    Dear virtualization user: I'm looking for reliable information on AMD-V (IOMMU) support in motherboards to help select compatible hardware. As you may know, vendor information on this particular topic is often incomplete, or unreliable. If you are using Xen, KVM, VMware, or Hyper-V with IOMMU...
  7. P

    Virtualization users: Have you used VT-d ? Please post your mobo/BIOS info

    Dear virtualization user: I'm looking for reliable information on VT-d support in motherboards to help select compatible hardware. As you may know, vendor information on this particular topic is often incomplete, or unreliable. If you are using Xen, KVM, VMware, or Hyper-V with VT-d enabled...
  8. P

    Multi-VM gaming on Xen or Hyper-V with Windows partition.

    See if this post and the links there provide answers: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039930815&postcount=8 I'm not familiar with TF2 idling. GPU/VGA passthru uses one dedicated GPU per VM. For VGA passthru to work you need specific hardware that supports VT-d (Intel) or IOMMU / AMD-Vi...
  9. P

    successful gpu passthrough of nvidia video card?

    I use Xen and have a Nvidia Quadro 2000 passed through to a Win 7 guest. The "multiOS" Nvidia cards should work, but they are expensive. For Xen there are patches for some non-multiOS Nvidia cards to allow passthrough. Some other Nvidia cards are also reported to work out of the box. Using KVM...
  10. P

    Simple Virtualization

    I am using the FREE Xen hypervisor, not the commercial Xenserver Enterprise. VMware has lately also introduced GPU passthrough, so that should be an option. You'll need VT-d (IOMMU) compatible hardware for passthrough to work. Sticking with AMD graphics for GPU passthrough should help, but...
  11. P

    Simple Virtualization

    Yep, the SKY 900 looks like a good solution. My 2c on virtualization and graphics: I use a Xen hypervisor with PCI and VGA passthrough to have a Windows guest run about as good as if it was installed on bare metal. It uses its own Quadro 2000 card. Nvidia is usually tricky or next to...
  12. P

    Xen virtualization and VGA passthrough = no more dual-boot

    You posted the link: http://meadowcourt.org/downloads/ :)
  13. P

    Server 2012 Remote FX Gaming Experience

    I use one per guest, but using one card for multiple guests should be doable, but I don't know how exactly. I actually wonder how you are going to use the AMD card you got for multiple guests? Are you currently able to use the AMD card to render pictures and then stream them to a remote...
  14. P

    Server 2012 Remote FX Gaming Experience

    Interesting thread. The Passmark result seems a little low, unless you assigned only ~2-3 VCPUs to your Windows guest. About graphics cards: Your AMD card gives you the option to try a Xen hypervisor (or KVM) with VGA passthrough. Nvidia cards won't work, unless you buy the very expensive...
  15. P

    KVM vs XEN

    Have you ever tried Xen? I can't say much about KVM as I never tried it since it lacked some features I needed. I've found Xen to be quite easy to work with, though my primary use of it is running a Windows 7 guest with PCI and VGA passthrough. Performance of the Windows guest is top notch. I...
Back
Top