Recent content by Personmans

  1. P

    Can I get away with just a video card?

    I'd move up to the: GIGABYTE 6770 $70 after rebate The FX-4100 bundle at Microcenter. $110 And shell the extra $20 for the 8GB G.Skill from newegg. $40 free shipping. Also for general knowledge, here's a CPU for gaming benchmark link. Done on Toms Hardware.
  2. P

    Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

    Do 400 for 10, got nothing to lose, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder#Lead-free_solder Some lead free solder doesn't flow until ~ 422*F Though I don't recommend raising the temp that high because if your melting point is too much lower all the parts will fall off.
  3. P

    Most reliable GPU under $100

    I have only seen apple do mini-DP to 2x HDMI, but it wasn't reliable as I recall. I would go for dual dvi or DVI + HDMI to DVI cable/adapter. I very much agree with Viper, all electrolytic caps have a lifetime and a card that's already ~4 years old, even if it's unused, will probably fail sooner.
  4. P

    How to do a reflow (performed on a DV 2000)

    Just don't bake the keyboard! My laptop had liquid spilled on it causing the keyboard not to work, so I washed with soap and water (standard practice in the field) and then tried to dry in the oven at 150*F (not standard practice) and it melted. 3-7 days air drying usually does the trick though.
  5. P

    Most reliable GPU under $100

    Yeah, onboard graphics usually will not do two monitors, not because of power, but just by design. I went for fanless with a good cooling system in my case so I don't have a dead fan issue. It should work for a while to come. Dead caps can be an issue with any manufacturer unfortunately. By...
  6. P

    Most reliable GPU under $100

    I use the fanless 5450 with no problems on a media center, the 6450 should run just as cool and reliably. You can pick either of those cards up for less than $40, especially with the rebates I have seen lately.
  7. P

    Can I get away with just a video card?

    I played Skyrim on my older desktop system. I'm not sure what settings you are looking to achieve, but it was definitely playable: Specs Processor: Q6600 Core 2 Quad Memory: 4GB DDR2 Ram Graphics: 8800gt 512MB Power: 600w ThermalTake TR2 Resolution: 1920x1080
  8. P

    Repair and Mod 8800gts

    @lavaheadache I would just solder it back in place, but it is the type with a ferrite core and it is smashed to pieces. :eek: It is more than likely shorted out internally, so I don't think I'll go that route this time. I will get some pics of the actual board today. I have about 8 years of...
  9. P

    Two eVGA cards bad within 3 days! Warranty still good?

    I RMA'd about 6 different 8800 GT/GTS/GTX and I don't recall any manufacturers requiring the 30-day registrations back then. Not sure about EVGA, but I'm positive PNY and BFG did not. Best bet is probably to call/email them and see what they say.
  10. P

    Repair and Mod 8800gts

    Hi all, I have an old XFX 8800gts with a broken inductor. -- See at bottom of post. The inductor is near the edge of the board labeled 1R0 (1uH value). I'm curious whether I should try to replace it with the same inductor value or move up to higher inductance to help smooth the power a bit...
Back
Top