Recent content by Oneiros

  1. O

    7.1 vs 5.1

    My receiver can take a 6.1 signal and extrapolate it into 7.1, which is what I was using for awhile... didn't notice any big difference over 5.1. Definitely wouldn't spend $250 for the extra two channels/speakers.
  2. O

    audio tests for newbies

    Test Tone Generator is a perfect little application for what I wanted, although you don't have to enter the values manually, there's a bar you can move up and down to go through the frequencies. Thanks 12andy. And that audio website is great, thank you kumquatsrus.
  3. O

    audio tests for newbies

    I'm not avoiding sound meters, I just don't have that much money to spend, and there are other things I need to save up for. Maybe in six months or so. I've never heard of cranking the crossover dial on the sub like that (until I googled it specifically). Thanks for the tip. :)
  4. O

    New Headphones - Static/noise when connected to my PC

    Have you made sure the problem isn't the port, by plugging in another pair of headphones into the same port?
  5. O

    3.5mm vs SPDIF?

    Hah, well score one for my aged receiver then. Thanks. :)
  6. O

    3.5mm vs SPDIF?

    One more question: What's the benefit of using Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect over multichannel analog? If (as it seems to me) you get a better range of sound with analog, why use encoded SPDIF? I'm playing Dead Space 2 and Bulletstorm since I switched connections, and they sound almost...
  7. O

    Audio Delay Using DDL/ DTS Connect

    I WAS using DTS-C until a few days ago, when I switched to multichannel analog. I'm definitely preferring the analog, it sounds clearer and has more range. At least it does to ME. :) Good that you have VLC, that program pretty much eliminates the need for codec packs. Lots of people are...
  8. O

    Audio Delay Using DDL/ DTS Connect

    If you have any codec packs installed, uninstall them and check Quake again. When I first hooked up my computer via digital to the receiver, I noticed a split-second sound delay in videos and games. When I uninstalled the codec packs the delay went away. I assume all the extra software and...
  9. O

    audio tests for newbies

    Hi all, I've had my audio gear for a good long time now so they're definitely on the old side: Acoustic Research AR-38BX front speakers, Philips PH951SSS center, some cheap crap for rear, Paradigm PDR-8 sub, JVC RX-7030VBK receiver (please don't laugh, I'm poor). Since I've recently connected...
  10. O

    3.5mm vs SPDIF?

    I believe analog only does carry two channels, which is why when I mean multichannel analog, I'm referring to the multiple 3.5mm ports on the back of most soundcards these days. Green for forward left/right, black for rear left/right, and yellow for center/subwoofer. For each of those...
  11. O

    3.5mm vs SPDIF?

    I apologize in advance, but I'd like to ask a pretty general question that I haven't been able to get properly answered by my Google results: What are the pros and cons between having a computer connected to a home theatre receiver via the 3.5mm analog connections, versus running the sound...
  12. O

    no output to subwoofer from windows

    Thank you SirMaster... while I did have crossover enabled on my receiver, it was set to 80Hz, and my speakers were set to "large". The main speakers are physically large (which I assumed was what mattered :D), old hand-me-downs from my Dad, and I had to do some some research to find out their...
  13. O

    no output to subwoofer from windows

    This is a puzzling one for me. I recently moved into a small apartment and to save space I connected my computer to my surround receiver. With the positioning of my monitor and chair, I can play games and get full 5.1 sound now, which is great. However, I've noticed that when playing music...
Back
Top