Recent content by michaelgildersleeve

  1. M

    The Tower of Power

    I wish I would have known about that. The reason I didn't have a raid is because I was planning on getting (4) 4 port cards (only because I didn't look on ebay, just newegg) and that would have wasted a lot of space having 4 RAIDS. I would have much rather have gotten what you got. Although I...
  2. M

    The Tower of Power

    So I started this project to give me some excercise to allow my arm to recouparate after surgery after I broke it on vacation. Now it's finished (Jason just replaced the last cable) and I'm recouporating from surgery from breaking my leg in three places in a bike accident last weeked. I've...
  3. M

    The Tower of Power

    By the way - That's what it used to look like.
  4. M

    The Tower of Power

    Here's the computer with the cables mostly cleaned up. I have to get a longer IDE cable and move two more cables around the back, but it's time to go to sleep for now.
  5. M

    High end hardware

    Does anybody have any links on nice looking bolts, thumbscrews, etc?
  6. M

    The Tower of Power

    I'm trying to clean up all the cabling now. It's the least fun part of the project. I want to do another project badly, but I don't have the money to fork out for the possibility of selling right now. I decided to make the next project a 3 part modular system - one part for the amp and cable...
  7. M

    The Tower of Power

    Thanks. The controller was fine, it was my mobo I kept messing with that went flakey.
  8. M

    The Tower of Power

    Here's the "my computer" screen. It comes out to just under 2.7 TBs. I am going to buy a 8x SATA controller so I can add the last 2 stack of 4 hard drives. I imagine that the last 8 will average out to be about 500GBs each as I buy them over the next 3-5 years. Has anybody read anything...
  9. M

    The [H]ard Forum Terabyte Club - READ first post before posting

    I call it The Tower of Power. 120 gb - system and applications 9 x 250 gb - data 1 320 gb - data Nothing's RAID. I am buying a 8x SATA controller card and will be putting in 8 more drives as I need them. I imagine that the average of the 8 new drives will be 500GB as I buy over the...
  10. M

    The Tower of Power

    What does power cycle mean?
  11. M

    The Tower of Power

    But if I hook up a regular monitor (15" not 6x9) to the tower, it works fine as well. Also, does anybody know of a PCI extension and what the cable distance restrictions might be? Here's a link to one that I found, but it only has less than a 4" cable. I need about 8" to add in a firewire...
  12. M

    SATA Port multipliers: Are we getting hosed?

    Are there any updates on this? I put in a water cooler in my system, and the GPU block blocks one of my PCI slots. I had this slot reserved for a 4x SATA controller when I needed it. I have room in my system for 2 more stacks of 4 hard drives and I have one more open PCI slot. I don't want...
  13. M

    The Tower of Power

    Hey all. It's been a while since my last post. Been enjoying the new system and my friend Jason took my camera with him for a couple weeks while he was in New Orleans fighting the good fight. Here's a link to his blog that chronicles the events. He was able to do a variety of things...
  14. M

    What are acceptable temps?

    What are good temperatures and what are bad temperatures to have for the CPU and GPU? Thanks
  15. M

    Dismantling 6800 Video Card

    I have a Gigabyte 6800 128M GV-N68128DH video card with a passive cooler on it. I took of the heat sinks on both sides and there is a copper plate covering the chip. I don't see anyway that this is attached to the card anywhere, but it is firmly attached. I imagine that the thermal paste is...
Back
Top