• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recent content by makwu

  1. M

    Spare your two cents for a poor noob

    thanks jon, I have a good idea of what I need now. Two less important questions. Are there any wireless data transmitters for use with the rear satellites on a 7.1 system? And do high quality monster cables from the receiver to the speakers make a big difference in quality loss of the...
  2. M

    Spare your two cents for a poor noob

    Edit: sorry, accidentally double posted
  3. M

    Spare your two cents for a poor noob

    Ah..resampling. There are no card that can pass the digital data without alteration, and let the receiver do the sampling? (I'm assuming any good receiver is capable of that?)
  4. M

    Spare your two cents for a poor noob

    Ok. So what is the need of a good soundcard then? Any crappy card can send a pure digital stream directly from the DVD to the receiver to be decoded, right?
  5. M

    Spare your two cents for a poor noob

    Ok, well "budget" aside, is that setup ideal? Are there cheaper variations of the same concept? Does it improve sound quality at all to keep the signal digital? I don't know the technical terms. My point is: Do I really need a receiver that has all the built in decoders (since the card...
  6. M

    Spare your two cents for a poor noob

    ok, its starting to form a clear picture in my head. Now, is I use self powered speakers like these: http://www.meridian-audio.com/m_bro_spk.htm I could avoid using a receiver or an amp? I'd just need a digital decoded to split the rca digital single into 8 separate digital lines for the...
  7. M

    Spare your two cents for a poor noob

    can't the mic jack on all Xfi output digitally via a mini-rca adapter? Don't receivers do most of the audio conversions? So, I'd basically have to turn off the faculties of the soundcard and let the receiver do the work? (Maybe I don't understand - seems like a waste) And if you have a...
  8. M

    Spare your two cents for a poor noob

    Thanks for the help so far. Let me clarify my needs a bit more. I'm not going to use the front panel for the Xfi if I don't need to. This system will be in the living room and aesthetics are fairly important. So, preferably I would like to run the cables from the back. Second, I'd like to...
  9. M

    Spare your two cents for a poor noob

    Sorry, my budget isn't really an issue. I was expecting 2k-3k. but could go up to 5k-7k if needed.
  10. M

    Spare your two cents for a poor noob

    Sorry, I'm sure many of these questions have been asked and answered a dozen times on these forums, but I am struggling to find the straight forward answers using the search. (As I'm sure will be obvious from my questions, I don't know much about audio systems) I plan on making a home theater...
Back
Top