• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recent content by johantheolive

  1. J

    2 Sticks - 1 Fine, Other Won't Post but...

    I stupidly left the working stick in the system as it had 128 (ouch). They were both ordered at the same time from the same place so it's possible but wouldn't seem likely.
  2. J

    2 Sticks - 1 Fine, Other Won't Post but...

    Ordered two sticks of PC133 (lulz) for an ancient HP celeryon. Memory is Mushkin 256mb (each stick is 256). Installed both and the system would power on but wouldn't post or beep or anything. Figured one must be bad so tried each individually, one is fine the other won't post. Didn't have...
  3. J

    Onboard Audio Enhancers?

    I have to disagree that audio enhancers are phony. I use a fantastic program called OSS3D that's unfortunately for macs and the Windows version is somewhat defunct (last update I believe was in 06). For music these programs can be great, although my main interest is in EQ. For games, I wouldn't...
  4. J

    8800GT Need New PSU?

    Pulled the trigger and bought the 550VX. Had too many praisers to go with the antec, although I liked the modularness.
  5. J

    which of these 2 PS would u choose

    I gotta go with the Corsair. Has gotten too many recommendations, and is 41A vs 37 on 12V rail. But don't take my word for it:)
  6. J

    8800GT Need New PSU?

    I found this sucker on newegg. Good price for an Antec NeoPower 550 and it has 3 18A 12V rails and modular cabling. linkage. It's kinda between this one and the Corsair 550VX, don't really want to deal with a rebate though.
  7. J

    PSU fan buzzing...how much time do I have?

    That psu comes in an interesting box/case...but I don't know much else is good. Their is a nice page here with brands to avoid. Rosewill is amongst those. I've had Rosewill power supplies cause problems, although they were ones that came with a case (figures). Had one fry two motherboards before...
  8. J

    Need a psu reccomendation

    I'm in the market for a new psu but I know that Corsair unit has been recommended a number of times, so that's probably the best bet. And 41A on the +12 is purdy good. Would be interested to hear if that fixes the problem.
  9. J

    Need a psu reccomendation

    Just looking at the specs for that psu it seems like it shouldn't have too much of a problem. When he was playing for an hour, was that with the overclocked card or at stock speeds? It sounds to me more like a heat problem. I have an 8800gt and it gets fairly warm at stock speeds. If you can...
  10. J

    8800GT Need New PSU?

    Thanks for the response. Those values are software readings, didn't think to take them with a meter. Now that I don't have any more papers to write (for the week at least) I'll have time to check them against a meter. Kinda funny you say "one of those 480w/$30-40 units"...actually it was $55...
  11. J

    8800GT Need New PSU?

    This is sorta a transfer of my topic from the video card forum as I'm concerned about my power supply. I just put together a new system with an 8800GT, which requires something in the 20A range on the +12V. My power supply (thermaltake) is rated to do 18A on the +12 rail. I have the system setup...
  12. J

    Does this sound like a power supply problem...

    In my experience, power supply problems usually cause crashes if anything. Have you checked the power settings in the BIOS or perhaps resetting the BIOS? If you have another power supply lying around you could try that just to rule out the possibility
  13. J

    8800GT Underperforming from PSU?

    I suppose this is moderately off topic, but I don't want to start a new thread. The board I bought is an nforce 570 sli (AMD) and I found something on google that said the nvidia drivers were bad. Is this true or a known problem that would cause hanging in vista? I don't recall Vista asking for...
  14. J

    8800GT Underperforming from PSU?

    1360x768. Settings are pretty much max, aside from AA and AF which are off. Framerate varies between 60ish and 100 (I think I have max set as 100). I'm trying out TF2 now...Vista likes to hang on me, and is still giving me crap experience rating. Hanging right now trying to get from steam...
  15. J

    8800GT Underperforming from PSU?

    Zing. That motherboard molex solved it. Getting close to 70fps in COD4 (normal?).
Back
Top