Recent content by jfkriege

  1. J

    Looking for opinions on a home server config

    I explored both RAID on Server 2003 or just building a box for WHS. In the end I went with WHS. A good friend of mine went the other way. At less than $.90 a gig, hard drives are relatively cheap. My friend dropped a huge amount of money on a nice Areca RAID card. I will have to have a lot...
  2. J

    Copy of WHS

    Has everyone given up on WHS, or does no one back up their data?
  3. J

    Copy of WHS

    I have a second WHS machine setup, but I cannot setup another WHS to back it up using the internal tools. I tried using SyncToy, and it worked but is was incredibly slow (1/3 of normal network throughput), which for multiple terabytes is just painful. How would you go about backing up one...
  4. J

    image backup

    I already have three copies on site and another off site. If they all get destroyed in a day, then the giant meteor got me too, or it was meant to be. At this point, if I really needed more security, I would start trading server space with friends in other states and just mail hard drives...
  5. J

    image backup

    Online backups would be wonderful to be able to use, but for almost all of the photographers I know it is simply not practical. I know that when shooting a wedding, it is about average for me to come back with 30-40GB of data from a single day of shooting. With a new camera, that would bump up...
  6. J

    image backup

    I can get behind RAID 1 for that. I have just seen too many people who think they are covered by it as a backup. As well, I have only ever had to deal with drive failures a few times. I typically replace drives long before they would hit MTBF to keep up with speed and density. Before I broke...
  7. J

    image backup

    I am a professional photographer, and just rebuilt my entire storage system to deal with future expansion. It is actually similar to the suggestion in the post above. I have a main WHS that stores all of my files. I have a second WHS on site that is not plugged in except for once weekly...
  8. J

    Balancing Drives in WHS

    I transferred about 1TB of data last night in 6 batches. Duplication was on for everything until I can get the backup server up and running as well and then duplication will come off for most of it. It finished copying about 4 hours before I checked it, and it was completely on two drives...
  9. J

    Balancing Drives in WHS

    I think that everything is up to date. I just updated everything last night, unless power pack two is downloaded outside of Windows Update. How long will it take to make it all balance on its own?
  10. J

    Balancing Drives in WHS

    I just got another WHS installation up and running, and have bumped into a problem. I have 3 1TB drives installed. I started transferring data across and ran into a hurdle. It has filled up two of the drives and the primary drive (where the OS resides) has nothing on it. It will not let me...
  11. J

    Great News. WHS comming to MSDN. w00t!

    Has WHS been confirmed on Technet?
  12. J

    Retailers with good shipping/packaging for oem drives?

    I ordered five drives from newegg recently and they came incredibly well packaged. I have had some poor packaging before, but I feel like they are turning around and doing things well again.
  13. J

    WHS build questions

    I really appreciate the thoughts. Right now it is balancing power and size that I am interested in. One the one hand, I need a lot of space. I am going to use this for photography, which is a growing storage need to the tune of 2-3TB a year depending on volume and type of shooting. I am...
  14. J

    WHS build questions

    Ockie, the one thing I read about the 3com switches is that they are a little loud, or in some cases, a lot loud. Have you had this experience? And do you think it would be reasonable to change out the fans if it gets too noisy? Joshua
  15. J

    to those with multi-terabyte storage, what's your backup solution?

    I have a second system that I plug in once a week to back up the first; otherwise it is turned off and completely unplugged from the wall and ethernet. Critical data is also backed up to a system of tray mounted drives nightly, and taken off site weekly. I am mildly paranoid, but even if my...
Back
Top