• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recent content by jawpaul

  1. J

    Perc 5/i Bad Speeds

    What is your burst speed like? You might want to look into updating the bios with an LSI BIOS file. When I did I saw a big performance boost. Here is some HDTach comparisons of my various setups I tested. http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddnjmgzg_148gxdpdvfv
  2. J

    I need a SAS RAID controller for under $200

    FYI: The dell Perc 5/i and 5/e are rebadged LSI units. I am very happy with my Perc 5/e. Just be warned that they have issues with some motherboards/chipsets. However this can be fixed with a small modification. Be sure to check out the forums on 2cpu.com for information.
  3. J

    Need a networking solution...

    The linksys WRT150N supports DD-WRT. http://www.coderetard.com/2008/05/30/installing-dd-wrt-firmware-on-a-linksys-wrt150n-wireless-router/ http://www.frys.com/product/5594970 $50 refurbed @ frys, was $40 last week.
  4. J

    for everyone that has issues with PERC 5I and 6i SOLUTION

    2Cpu forums is a great resource for these cards. Perc 5/E + 4*500gb in Datoptic Enclosure
  5. J

    Out of sockets on UPS

    Monoprice: C14 to Standard outlet: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022801&p_id=1302&seq=1&format=2 They also have a 6 foot version.
  6. J

    PC TECHS! What software tools do you run to fix a persons computer?

    I have heard that the Geek Squad MRI cd is very good.
  7. J

    Easiest (and cost effective) way of duplicating 50+ hard drives

    The key to duplicating over the network is Multicasting the image out. Same bandwidth used for 1 client or 1000 pretty much.
  8. J

    Long Range High Gain USB Adapter

    Engenius also sells high power output USB adapter's with an external antenna connector. http://www.engeniustech.com/datacom/products/details.aspx?id=154
  9. J

    Dell Perc 5/E help

    Make sure to visit the 2cpu.com forums to make sure your board is compatible (there is a large perc 5 thread there). http://forums.2cpu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26
  10. J

    Tomato Firmware - Some Questions

    Yes you can as marley said. I'm running Tomato on my core Wrt54g and DD-WRT micro on a WRT54g v6 using WDS between the two no problem.
  11. J

    Raid 5 Here I Come

    Still transforming the array from RAID 0 -> Raid 5.... total time for transform ~11 hours. So far HDTach results: Integrated Raid 0 - 2 * 500gb Random Access: 18.5ms Average Read: 116.5mb/s Burst Speed: 181mb/s Perc 5/E Raid 0 - 2 * 500gb Random Access: 14.4ms Average Read: 110.5mb/s...
  12. J

    Need a good and fast esata raid-5 controller card

    I believe a problem here is the use of the port multiplier for RAID-5. I've heard people complain before that using esata with Port multiplier and RAID 5 kills performance. I am attempting to do a similar setup (external raid 5 array on a budget). Check out my thread (raid 5 here I come).
  13. J

    Raid 5 Here I Come

    The reason I picked the Perc 5 because it is a true bargain. I payed $50 + 9 shipping from ebay used guaranteed no DOA. The Perc 5e is a rebadged LSI 8480E http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/internal_raid/megaraid_sas/megaraid_sas_8480e/index.html Reason 2 I chose the Perc...
  14. J

    Raid 5 Here I Come

    Thanks, This is going to be used for video editing.I'm hoping to see some good speed from it. The external enclosure should be in today. I'll set things up tonight, transfer over my old data and hopefully do some tests this weekend. I'll do a mini-review on the setup if anyone is...
  15. J

    Raid 5 Here I Come

    Well I am finally embarking on my personal endevour into RAID 5. I went the budget route. Total Cost was about $570 4 * 500 GB sata drives Datoptic qBOX-M external infiniband Enclosure Dell Perc 5/E controller Hopefully get some good speeds out of it :D
Back
Top