Recent content by ironicbadger

  1. I

    New ZFS build - Small, silent and appliance like

    the supermicro board suggested by _gea seems to be a uATX board rather than my requirement of mini-itx. does such a board exist at this size?
  2. I

    New ZFS build - Small, silent and appliance like

    What makes the integrated controller crappy? Thanks, I do appreciate the differences between a distribution and a filesystem.
  3. I

    New ZFS build - Small, silent and appliance like

    8 drives is the target for this system including the SSD (7x data drives inc parity). with regards to the avoton vs the xeon the entire reason i'm thinking of the atom board is because it doesn't support vt-d (neither does an i3 granted) and there in lies it's appeal. i won't be tempted to...
  4. I

    New ZFS build - Small, silent and appliance like

    I've just suffered catastrophic data loss across my 12TB array which was running using SnapRAID and MHDDFS due to a faulty RAID controller and my inability not to tinker. I am therefore building a new system which is designed to be as 'set it and forget it' as possible... OS: FreeNAS (latest)...
  5. I

    Creating a new ZFS RAID-Z system

    I am now a ZFS junkie. I already have the RAM btw, bought it a few years ago hence why I'm not upgrading it! I wish for ECC too. I am considering going for 2 3x vDevs as well, but can't decide this figure above is from a single 7 drive pool and that really is fast enough for me as I have my...
  6. I

    Creating a new ZFS RAID-Z system

    Thanks for the by-id tip, It's that kind of thing I really wanted! ZoL argument in my case doesn't matter anyway because I'm a home user with data that I can afford to loose. Anything worth a damn is replicated more times than I can count via BTsync and friends houses.
  7. I

    Creating a new ZFS RAID-Z system

    Right, that approach isn't too far removed from what I'm doing now with the storage on a VM (with unRAID). One of the main reasons I'm looking at doing this is to get the storage natively on the host.
  8. I

    Creating a new ZFS RAID-Z system

    Hi guys, Looking for some advice on the optimal config for my home server, which I've decided to migrate from unRAID to ZFS due to performance and bitrot prevention. I have checked out and discounted snapraid and aufs as I want realtime parity computation, plus the performance figures I've...
  9. I

    Supermicro X10SAT

    I emailed Supermicro support on this issue and have in no uncertain terms been told Utterly, utterly useless. I am so pissed right now. What a waste of £240!
  10. I

    Supermicro X10SAT

    Thank you so much for the Ctrl-P tip, it's not mentioned anywhere in the manual and I lost a good hour to finding that out! I have a quirk with this mobo though in that when I enable vt-d at an OS level I get no HDMI audio. I'm doing this Arch Linux and have audio just fine until I enable...
  11. I

    [Q] RAID-Z migration from unRAID

    i can update over 750gb in one day if i go on a binge, granted that doesn't happen every week but i turn over at least 1tb a month. so the files aren't that static. besides, i have the hardware to cope with ZFS / any other solution. I want to use it and I'm doing this to learn so I can use...
  12. I

    [Q] RAID-Z migration from unRAID

    I discount snapraid as I want realtime parity. Its just simpler and I know its done. I have used snapraid in the past but found it unreliable if files were open or something. Duno, it just seems clunky as a concept.
  13. I

    [Q] RAID-Z migration from unRAID

    so, i've dutifully sold all my mismatched drive sizes and replaced them with a pair of 3TB drives. I now have 7 drives, all 3tb. I think then, that I will going for a 6 drive single parity setup based on the above advice. What will my total useable array space be with this setup? I've read...
  14. I

    Consolidated 4 PCs into 1 - Xen on Arch Linux, XBMC & Windows with VGA Passthrough

    ** If you're interested in finding out more about how I did what I did, I blog as I go and all my instructions are available here - blog.ktz.me ** During the summer I set out to consolidate my desktop, htpc and unraid server into one box using virtualisation. The results, I'm pleased to say...
  15. I

    Gaming and performance in a VM

    use XenServer OS and XenCenter and you'll have it working in minutes I bet!
Back
Top