well, given how "mundane" parts are hardly ever engineered for the application, it would make sense that most manufacturers use the same parts from the same catalog. so it would make sense why so many different types of boards and brands have this problem.
I don't know if you guys remember...
I dunno... but here's what I do know. I have an Antec TruePower 330 from a few years back with the board connected to its own 12v rail with nothing else on it. I can vary AGP voltage from the BIOS from 1.5v to 1.7v. It's quietest at 1.5v Overvolting only makes it worse.
I also used a...
I just got an ASUS N6800XT with exactly the same problem. So far it's stable and hasn't given me an visual artifacts or any other indication really that there's a problem other than the damned annoying noise.
It's definitely got something to do with power delivery because if the board is...
This is definitely NOT the fan. I just got an ASUS N6800XT with exactly the same problem (only mine happens under load in 3d mode). I'm pretty sure I have more than enough experience to tell the difference between a noisy fan and something entirely different. Not to mention I unplugged the...