• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recent content by fantabulous

  1. F

    Anyone run AMD APUs in ESX hosts?

    I haven't tried ESXi on my Athlon 5350s yet. They do support nested KVM virtualization, though, which made me pretty happy. At some point I'll actually get around to building up the cluster I have planned. 3 nodes + shared storage for a Pacemaker cluster. Still need a quad port nic and some sort...
  2. F

    VMWare on a Linux Host

    I have VMWare player and KVM running side by side on a Fedora 21 host. If you're trying to run Player 7, IIRC that requires a 64-bit host with hardware virtualization now. My notes indicate I just needed to install the development-tools package group and the kernel-devel package to get the...
  3. F

    Android nerd, switched to iPhone 6 Plus

    I only have an Android phone.
  4. F

    Intel SSD 730 480GB @ $199 - Newegg AM shell shocker

    Bit the bullet on two. These are really nice drives in terms of performance consistency, from what I've read. I've been wanting to demote my old Intel 330s to a lab environment, couldn't justify spending the money on Black Friday though.
  5. F

    ASUS Matrix OR Poseidon - CHOOSE YOUR WEAPON!

    If I were to win a card, I'd use the increased visual fidelity to watch Taylor Swift videos on Youtube.
  6. F

    What do you do to preserve your SSD performance on linux?

    discard + relatime or noatime, depending on the usage. I also enable discard in lvm.conf.
  7. F

    Hyper-V vs VMware

    Aliens. Also, totally interested in this thread as someone who only works with KVM.
  8. F

    Private school on a budget: What model NAS works for this usage?

    If the OP gets two Synology units to work around that single point of failure, perhaps? But I imagine a second FreeNAS server for replication would also solve that problem.
  9. F

    vmware (shared) storage for home lab esxi cluster

    Something I'm looking at for non-HA shared storage is a simple CentOS 7 box with 2 SSDs in RAID 0 with an LVM thin pool and targetcli for serving up iSCSI targets. Haven't looked into LVM SSD caching, but that could be a possibility if I needed the space (as an alternative to ZFS). Not sure if...
  10. F

    New Build -- Input Wanted --

    I haven't gotten my hands on any DDR4 systems yet, but I can't imagine it's going to be at all significant. Throw RAM at your buffer pool instances and possibly beef up your storage with the savings.
  11. F

    SSD Partition Backup Software

    Perhaps I'm lazy for relying on simple dd images, but that's totally what I do.
  12. F

    i3 2100T worth it?

    For a pure file server? I'd just stick with the G630. You're not going to need the hyperthreads.
  13. F

    Thermalright Macho Zero Passive CPU Cooler

    Made me think of this: http://www.quietpc.com/nof-icepipe
  14. F

    ATI ESXi or Nvidia qemu?

    You'll get basically bare metal performance in either situation with passthrough, from my understanding. I've done the whole passthrough thing with qemu, but back before the new VFIO framework was in place. I think I was at worst 10% off of expected futuremark scores for my hardware. I'm still...
  15. F

    how often do 2x 500gb ssds in raid 0 fail?

    I suppose with large stripe sizes and small files, you might be causing some additional write amplification. Doubt that's going to be a very significant contributing factor, though, versus plain old usage. At home, I have a RAID 0 pair of SSDs for VMs. I haven't actually bothered to benchmark...
Back
Top