Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.
I chose Furmark and IntelBurn. The results are below.
For Furmark, I did the benchmark option, then the stress test with the extreme option.
For IntelBurn, I did three different options. For Standard and High, I only have the max CPU temp. For the Max test, I have the full temperature and...
Everything has arrived, and I put it together much quicker than I thought it would. So far it works great!
It plays Starcraft 2 at 1600x900 with all settings on ultra at about 45 FPS.
Here are some pics (best camera I had around was my iPhone, sorry)!
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Can anyone recommend...
I am pleased to tell you I bought the whole thing today. It was $10 more than expected because a MIR for the cpu/case is no longer listed, but no big deal.
I went to microcenter and got the chip, mobo, power cord, and HDD. The mobo only came with one SATA cable, so I bought another while I was...
http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hdd_list.php search for HD502HJ (this is the F3) and HD322GJ (this is the F4)
also http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/IOMeter-2006.07.27,1038.html (search for the same two things)
Or, you can just look here...
I have a specific question. The Samsung Spinpoint F4 is the fastest non SSD out there, according to some reviews. Newegg has it for about $50 shipped. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152244
Would this make a nice addition? It's only $5 more than the F3, and I doubt I'll...
I edited my post above. Microcenter has the F3 for 44.99 when newegg had it for 54.99.
I am getting close to finalizing this, and will purchase it tomorrow (times two =D) if there are no further comments (please comment!)
Thank you to everyone for your extraordinary amount of help!
EDIT: here...
Thank you, I went back to the mATX board and added in a power cable.
ALSO, newegg ran out of the F3 in my build. How long do they take to restock something like this?
EDIT: Amazon has it for even cheaper, and I get free shipping with them with Amazon Prime...
Someone on another forum told me to avoid micro ATX because it overheated more often. Was this bad advice? I would love to save ~$10 and use a micro ATM board instead (this one with the bundle: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0342512 ) if that isn't a problem...
Thanks for the advice everyone, especially Danny Bui. I've pretty much gone with his suggestions with a small change here and there (went for an ATX mobo with Athlon II X4 635, is it worth it?, and a different optical). Please give it a look.
CPU+Mobo combo:
AMD Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz Boxed...
Using very high estimates, let's add up the wattage:
a maximum power consumption of 108 Watts GPU
95W CPU
40-50W Ram
50W motherboard
10W optical drive
10W HDD
Total: 323W
The MOST negative thing I could find about the OCZ PSU was from a self proclaimed "PSU buff" who called it "medicore." He...
How about this HDD and PSU combo instead? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.466014
The HDD is smaller and slower, but I think the PSU is much better.
It also brings the grand total down to $499.70 - 37MIR = $462.70 ($18 less).
Are there any other deals out...
Thank you for your comments on MicroATX. It will fit in the case I choose, and it does have the options I want (DDR3 and AM3 for a low price is about all I'm looking for).
There is a microcenter just 15 minutes away. Are there any deals there I should be looking for? I have never been there...
I have heard that micro ATX boards overheat more because the components are closer together. Is this true? I think it makes a great value since I do not plan on multiple video cards or needing more than 2 pci slots. Any thoughts on Micro ATX vs ATX?
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Playing Starcraft 2 mostly.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Around $500 with tax and shipping included.
3) Where do you live?
Texas
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM...