Recent content by dearastronomer

  1. D

    PC Build Assistance Request

    Honestly, most of the cases I've looked at were standard mid-towers anyways. Here's one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121002 Are there better B75 motherboards in the standard ATX form factor? Or were you talking about case/ps combos? I can live with a UEFI...
  2. D

    PC Build Assistance Request

    A couple of last minute questions. If I wanted to shave a bit of money off this system, any suggestions for a case/power supply combo under $100? I cut the RAM down to 8GB, and the other i5 CPU option is only $10 less than the 3470. I've even dropped the DVD drive, so there's nowhere...
  3. D

    PC Build Assistance Request

    Good to know. Now, I've been hearing to get the most from an i7, I need a Z77 chipset?
  4. D

    PC Build Assistance Request

    One idea kicked around was going to an i5 3570k, which I guess is unlocked? I'll consider the extra RAM. Honestly, $1,000 for the budget is a bit higher than I really wanted to spend, but if I can get a lot of performance for the money, I'm not opposed to putting a bit more money towards CPU...
  5. D

    PC Build Assistance Request

    Thank you for the informative reply! Based on some suggestions from you and others, here's the updated build: SilverStone SST-PS07B Black Steel / Plastic MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W Modular Power Supply Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz Quad-Core...
  6. D

    PC Build Assistance Request

    One important thing that hasn't been addressed (YET) is the case. I'm really looking for a desktop micro-ATX case that has (or can take) a good power supply to run the above system. I'm seeing this new "plus 80" thing on a lot of power supplies. What is it?
  7. D

    PC Build Assistance Request

    So buying a motherboard that I can do a CPU upgrade down the road isn't a good investment? You said the i5 mobo I looked at isn't that great. Got any suggestions for a mid-range non-gamer motherboard that supports i5's with integrated GPU? The GPU isn't good for the money? it's $20. As...
  8. D

    PC Build Assistance Request

    I really don't need a larger HDD. Most of my data is stored on a SAN. As for not needing the low profile card, you are right, if I go with the i5 CPU/Mobo I don't need that card, as I can use the onboard video. I'm sure there are tons of ITX form factor PC's out there, but what I'm...
  9. D

    PC Build Assistance Request

    Hi everyone, I've been out of the PC build world for a few years now, and could use some help in building a new PC. Below is the questionnaire, and below that are the parts I specced. I could use help finding a microATX desktop case suitable for this system, as I'd like the system to be...
Back
Top