thank you xphil, that helps.
as far as the port speeds - i was a little confused with gigabit, we didnt discuss that but in passing mention. I have grasped that now and connected it with the 10/100 speeds.
i have a few weeks before its due, i hope to be done researching and reading by next...
thank you for your constructive criticism. I initially put those 12 ports in each office because the instructor asked that we "plan for future expansion" and i thought it would be easiest to just tap into those 12 ports rather than run a length of cable back to the IDF in the hallway.
The...
You are correct, i have do not know anything about Vlans, and the layer 3 switch my instructor touched on - its a switch (which normally operates on layer 2 ) that operates on layer 3 (the typical routing layer).
So it is essentially an intelligent router/switch? Our book has nothing on it...
well this is my first networking class. i had an intro to OS class last quarter with a math and comp class. And my first quarter consisted of another math class with 2 other general education courses. it wasnt very hard to make the deans list with a 4.0 there. This has been my toughest quarter...
ok here are 2 initial diagrams i had worked out today.
[img=http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/3082/topo1to9.th.jpg]
this is the main line entering the MDF - and the trunks branching out to each hallway.
I know Orinthical recommended 2 GB Trunks for these lines. are those the 1000baseFX...
if i did i would not have asked for help - do you have any good sites that have basic explanations.
Im wondering how for example if i used a t3 line at 45 mbps in - switched it on a 1000 mb switch and ran fiber trunks to each halls closet - then ran fast ethernet cables to each room and put...
I decided on a the T3 line last night, i thkn 45 Mbps should be a good feed for the company.
i understand the trunk terms - with fiber there are two kinds of cabling. single mode and multi mode. I know multi mode can handle multiple signals. When you run fiber though, do you still need one for...
what he meant by backup measures was a backup server that the machines can access in a server room i imagine.
UPS i thought should be built into the main MDF and IDF rooms should they not? Don't you normally want those to have some sort of electrical protection from spikes etc.
I will not be stretching the truth anything i include in my final project will be something i researched and can explain in detail. (i must include a 10 minute powerpoint presentation at the end as well, going over all hardware used, cabling, subnetting documentation, etc.)
I was going to...
its my 3rd quarter - my 2nd quarter i had an intro to OS class, and 2 GE classes math and comp. Now for this class, Network standards and protocol, this is our final. I wouldnt make it up and I know there is a ton of information i don't have - thats why i turned here.
I have spent 3 nights...
also i tried to look up some info on what else i need in the closets.
Like backup UPS devices, or machines in the closets to to manage the server.
what is normally put in server's closets?
thank you for the response jeff, i wasnt asking anyone to do my homework - i want to learn this - but it is my first year back to college and this is my first networking class. It is week 7 now and all i know about switches and routers, hubs and cables, come from the first 6 weeks.
Ok do...