Recent content by ChemicalSmile

  1. C

    High density SAS enclosure

    I doubt I'm the only one who's run into trouble sourcing bare sas back-planes. I'm looking for a reliable source of 12+port expander back planes. Mini-sas, preferably supermicro. Anyone out there have any leads? US or Canada supplier would be great. Thanks in advance all. ChemicalSmile
  2. C

    High density SAS enclosure

    Thanks guys, I might look into some of the chenbro backplanes if I have too much trouble sourcing the supermicro ones. I've got a couple of other options as well. I'll probably be bothering you guys with more questions. You've been awesome so far so please bear with me. I'm off to source...
  3. C

    High density SAS enclosure

    Haha, all has been revealed indeed. Thank you. I was looking around for the SuperMicro SC216E26-R1200LPB expanders and I can only find them installed in a chassis. You wouldn't have any idea where I could purchase them separate on their own would you? Seeing as it's all going in a custom...
  4. C

    High density SAS enclosure

    ' Thanks again, The supermicro expanders as opposed to the intel ones? Do you have a part number or link to them so I can check them out? Would I still go with two of them?
  5. C

    High density SAS enclosure

    OK, so correct me if I'm way off please. I've come up with a list of potential hardware for my system. I'm learning so some of it may be useless and some of it may be able to be replaced with more cost effective components.That being said: SAS Backplanes A couple of 12 port options. I figure...
  6. C

    High density SAS enclosure

    Thank you, it's really helpful. Hopefully I can repay the forum for all the assistance I've been receiving. You guys are great. ChemicalSmile
  7. C

    High density SAS enclosure

    Anyone have any motherboard/processor/RAM recommendations for this monster? If I'm going to screw up I may as well screw up spectacularly.
  8. C

    High density SAS enclosure

    Perfect, thank you again. I understand now. At least enough to be dangerous lol
  9. C

    High density SAS enclosure

    I develop back-blaze pods but I want an SAS server because I'm bored with them and there's better tech out there. Besides, I've obviously got alot to learn and SAS is where I want to go. Thanks again for the input. ChemicalSmile
  10. C

    High density SAS enclosure

    Haha, I'm terrible at detecting internet sarcasm. I'm assuming that was it. lol.
  11. C

    High density SAS enclosure

    Cascading the back planes. As in linking one to the other via an SAS Cable? Do the back planes themselves have the ability to add to the overall port count? Or do I run a separate set of cables from another controller to the extra back-planes? As for the chassis layout, I'd like to vertically...
  12. C

    High density SAS enclosure

    Some flavor of Linux to start, possibly OpenFiler. Wish I had more to give you. A MS option hasn't been ruled out yet.
  13. C

    High density SAS enclosure

    One last thing, I noticed one of the back planes listed as supporting 36 drives. What if I wanted to support 44 - 52 in an enclosure? Is there a method to make that work or is 36 going to be about the max?
  14. C

    High density SAS enclosure

    Beautiful. It's becoming much clearer now. My last question would relate to controllers. What would I be needing in the line of HBAs SAS controllers, RAID controllers etc to interface all of this, how would I link it all up? The cable choices seem bewildering to me there are so many. You've...
  15. C

    High density SAS enclosure

    Thank you. The chassis will be completely, professionally custom fabricated. As for the bays, I haven't ever had to design one from scratch so It may be necessary to purchase them. Thank you for helping me. The apologizing is due to the fact that my ego is hurting and I hate wasting peoples...
Back
Top