• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recent content by brams

  1. B

    Skylake-Based Z170 Gaming Mini ITX Motherboard

    Ni Notting THUNDERBOLT 3 SUCCESS!! GA-Z170X-UD5 TH STARTECH "Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter" [GUIDE] Jerivalu’s Build: Fresh 10.11.5, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530, Thunderbolt, Dual Boot tonymacx86's Skylake Thunderbolt 3 Test Build: GA-Z170X-UD5-TH - i5-6600K
  2. B

    Skylake-Based Z170 Gaming Mini ITX Motherboard

    OK tried the TB3 enabled F4C BIOS and the same thing happened - Billboard Device Error. Should note that on a GB Z170 (a proper TB3 enabled one) over at Tony Mac somebody says they got this same StarTech adapter working under Windows 10 and MacOS X on a Hackintosh..... This is not looking...
  3. B

    Skylake-Based Z170 Gaming Mini ITX Motherboard

    Sure PM me your email addy. Don't use any of the GB firmware updates designed to enable TB3 on the F4 BIOS I'm not sure what would happen.
  4. B

    Skylake-Based Z170 Gaming Mini ITX Motherboard

    OK so I bought a StarTech TBT3TBTADAP Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 1/2 adapter to test my GA Z170N Gaming 5, some of you might remember I hacked my BIOS (F4C) to enable Thunderbolt 3 back in December 15 (before GB release F4 and the patch) at that time I didn't have anything to test but the...
  5. B

    NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

    On the GA Z170 N Gaming-5 PSU does not block angled SATA cables using an SFX PSU in an M1, you need reverse angled SATA cables - same as angled but they are angled in the opposite direction they are angled up instead of down, normal angled ones make the cable exit from the motherboard back side...
  6. B

    Skylake-Based Z170 Gaming Mini ITX Motherboard

    Thanks, sorry for the late reply, heads been spinning recently..... Not tested it yet, still got no TB3 device to test with and I am waiting for some kind of hub/cable/adapter to use my Drobo mini which us TB1/2 type (mini DP)
  7. B

    Skylake-Based Z170 Gaming Mini ITX Motherboard

    The BIOS for the Impact VIII contains Thunderbolt, it's just not enabled. It would be easy to enable it however as I have said before you would not be able to flash it with ASUS tools as it would loose signing, so an SPI programmer would work (BIOS is socketed) or maybe FTK would work
  8. B

    Skylake-Based Z170 Gaming Mini ITX Motherboard

    Unfortunately no I have not as I cannot find any TB3 to TB 2/1 dock or adapter, the only device I have is a Drobo Mini and that's TB1 so the connector is the DP type not C-Type. But I figure it has to work, BIOS before F4c (F3 etc) didn't have any Thunderbolt code / firmware / modules in...
  9. B

    NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

    Gigabyte have pretty much already released Thunderbolt 3 in the GA-Z170N Gaming 5 F4c BIOS update. It's not enabled by default, (I have modified the BIOS slightly and enabled it on mine) but I would say it is not far away from being enabled (probably when they take F4c out of beta)...
  10. B

    Skylake-Based Z170 Gaming Mini ITX Motherboard

    Hi Notting, I used AMIBCP64 and turned two functions on (basically made the settings the same as one of the boards that recently got the TB3 upgrade) Flashed it and enabled TB 3 I also used the TB 3 driver for the same board. I can make a small guide if you want but it's quite obvious what...
  11. B

    Skylake-Based Z170 Gaming Mini ITX Motherboard

    OK so Thunderbolt 3 module now present in the F4c bios which came out yesterday. It is disabled but a least it is now present. I suppose this is a positive sign. EDIT: So I enabled TB3 and it all seems functional and working though I have not tested it with any Thunderbolt device yet...
  12. B

    NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

    Hi OK I searched the forum and Googled this as well, I could not find an obvious answer. The small speaker that come with the M1 fitting kit. Do I just leave it dangling or does it clip in someplace? Thanks
  13. B

    NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

    I will be using Enermax Twister Pressure 120mm fans in my M1 when it arrives (not sure if I'll be using 2 or 4 of them yet in the M1 as things needs to be installed and tested). At the moment I am using 4 of them in a Lian Li small ATX case and they are very quiet. They have a switch on them...
  14. B

    Skylake-Based Z170 Gaming Mini ITX Motherboard

    So Gigabyte have reprinted the manual for the GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 they are now calling the Thunderbolt 3 / Alpine Ridge chip a USB 3.1 Controller.........
  15. B

    Skylake-Based Z170 Gaming Mini ITX Motherboard

    Hi Notting, Thanks for the input, you've been waiting for a long time for the CPU? Well good luck with the Gaming 5. I'd welcome your opinion on it vs. the ASUS Impact VIII. I've not got the ASUS to compare it to but I have to say that I think that mine OK as it is is nowhere near as...
Back
Top