Recent content by AlienHairball

  1. A

    We Don’t Need Game Publishers, Hardware Makers or Retailers

    I just looked at the paid version last night and it was $36/year so $3/month. Pretty darn cheap and I think I may go ahead and upgrade. I'm also a long-time Netflix subscriber, doing the streaming only right now. And I donated to the Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns kickstarters. I...
  2. A

    Stupid Criminals of the Day

    I know it's rare these days, but for a lot of phones that *aren't* touchscreens you can often just hold down the 9 key to dial 911. Not that it ever happened to me or anything. *cough* Brilliant story though. I'd love to see or hear the 911 call center side of this as they all gathered around...
  3. A

    First Impressions with my new build

    I haven't added any extra fans yet. My temps have been very acceptable, though I suspect some solid front fan(s) may drop temps by a couple degrees. The temps you mentioned are similar to what I remember from before I overclocked. Definitely a nice setup! Woke this morning to find a BSOD so...
  4. A

    First Build Questions: Old Alienware case still viable?

    Regarding that Cooler Master Hyper 212+ I had the same problem as you with the 212+ covering that first DIMM slot. My advice is to do what I did - move the cooler fan from a push to a pull configuration. Specifically: unclip the fan unscrew the fan clips move the clips to the other...
  5. A

    First Impressions with my new build

    Yeah it's running fantastic now. Last night I played some Dragon Age 2, max settings with the hi-res textures and had ran my minecraft multiplayer server in the background with other people connected and playing. Never a glitch :)
  6. A

    First Impressions with my new build

    Quick update after some overclocking... I had a hell of a time getting this thing stable with any sort of overclock. I'd have a gaming marathon of hours in something system-intensive like Crysis 2 with perfect performance. Quit that, pull up a website in Firefox and *bam* BSOD. Lots of...
  7. A

    First Impressions with my new build

    Hey gang, I'm back with a followup. I got some great advice on my new build and ordered everything a few days ago. Got it all in and assembled yesterday so I thought I'd give some thoughts and 2 really key bits of advice for anyone with similar components. My previous system was an old AMD...
  8. A

    Build Help - critique needed

    Got everything but the case in today and I gotta say that Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is overwhelming! :eek: Sucks I gotta wait another day for the case and final build ;)
  9. A

    Build Help - critique needed

    UPDATE I pulled the trigger and should have everything on Wednesday. Can't wait! Thanks again to you guys for taking the time to help out. Much appreciated. I'll post back with the results of this build and maybe throw up a couple of build pics for fun. :cool:
  10. A

    Build Help - critique needed

    Some great info here - thanks for all the info. I've revised my build and here's what it's looking like at this point: $335 - Intel Core i5-2500k + MSI P67A-G43 $70 (use promo code EMCKEKD36) - G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $275 (before $30 MIR) - XFX HD-695X-CNFC...
  11. A

    Build Help - critique needed

    Thanks for the thorough replies. Couple of followup questions :) I had read the bit about 1600 RAM vs. 1333. It sounded like a very simple BIOS switch to enable the 1600. I didn't take that to be overclocking the RAM since the RAM is rated at 1600 to begin with ;) but is it just not really...
  12. A

    Build Help - critique needed

    Update - after some great suggestions here I've purchased my new system. Specs are listed further down the thread. Hey gang, long time lurker here looking for some build advice. My aging desktop went pear shaped a few days ago. I've determined it's the motherboard and I have no intention of...
  13. A

    Audio-Technica ATH-A700 Headphone Review

    In keeping with the theme throughout this thread, keep in mind this is all pretty subjective, but... A co-worker friend here has the 280 Pros and I have the ATH-M50s. Like I mentioned before the M50s can be found for $100 so they are definitely worth comparing. Anyway, what my friend and I...
  14. A

    Audio-Technica ATH-A700 Headphone Review

    For what it's worth, I have the ATH-M50s headphones which are generally a little more expensive, but if you buy from some of the ebay stores can be had for $100 and I have to say they are *fantastic*. I was originally torn between the A700 that was reviewed here and the M50s, but after some...
Back
Top