Z790 14600k - Won't post with more than 1 stick or RAM

Doozer

2[H]4U
OK, so what do you guys think the problem would be?
I've tried different RAM and different speeds and the thing will not POST with more than 1 stick of RAM.
It's gotta be the mobo or CPU, right?

i5-15600k
Asrock Z790 Lightning WIFI
Gskill 5600 DDR5
Corsair 1000e PSU

Here is a potato quality pic of the socket for reference

406275049_891998958941289_7393624096476625699_n.jpg

Last edited:
Did you try a single stick in each channel or just slot 1? Will it post with either stick installed?

Second the pin check, if they're OK, could be a bad channel on the cpu or even a bad/uneven cooler mount. (Using a contact frame?)

check the socket pins and the ram slot's. make sure youre using the correct slots as noted in the manual. how long have you waited for a post?

Are you using the stock lock down mechanism for the CPU or are you using one of the after market solutions? If using the latter make sure you don't have it screwed down too tight.

CPUs have had integrated memory controllers / IMCs for quite a while now. When you have memory detection issues with known good sticks- it's usually caused by bent socket pins on LGA (or bent/missing pins on PGA), the CPU not being situated in the socket correctly, or abnormal heatsink mounting pressure. Less likely culprits could be a bad CPU (very unlucky) or motherboard (damaged traces or very unlucky).

I'm using the stock lock down mechanism. I looked at the pins and they all look good to me. I'll attach an image to the OP.
The system will only POST with a single stick of RAM in the 4th slot. (The one the manual says to use for single channel)

Without another compatible system to test the CPU/Motherboard I'm leaning toward flipping a coin and randomly returning either the CPU or motherboard to Newegg for a replacement.

Last edited:
I'm using the stock lock down mechanism. I looked at the pins and they all look good to me. I'll attach an image to the OP.
The system will only POST with a single stick or RAM in the 4th slot. (The one the manual says to use for single channel)
whats that shiny bit in the top left corner?
you could try booting with the one stick, and manually set the timings and voltage instead of using auto. maybe that will get both going.

After looking again it may just be a bent pin in that corner. Im going to have someone else look at it in a bit for a second opinion. It looks like its bent flat or broken off. I cant see well enough to fix it myself so i may send the board back

If it's just one and it's bent you might be able to carefully bend it back into place.

After looking again it may just be a bent pin in that corner. Im going to have someone else look at it in a bit for a second opinion. It looks like its bent flat or broken off. I cant see well enough to fix it myself so i may send the board back
This photo, coupled with the issue you're experiencing I would say that's the culprit. It looks a little odd to just be a reflection.

I hope it's just bent and you are able to fix it. Whoever attempts to fix it should be careful. If you do end up trying to return it, I wish you luck. Whether it's an RMA to the board vendor, or just a return the seller- they will often deny warranty / exchange / refund for a damaged LGA socket. If the pin is actually broken you can probably find a third party repair center (no clue what the cost will run you) or if you're daring attempt something like this.

I don't know what the best method is to do this but here is a video that may help:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnC79l4mfSo

Newegg accepted the return and gave me a shipping label so its all good.

Newegg accepted the return and gave me a shipping label so its all good.
I sure hope Newegg customer service comes through for you. I'm a neutral party here and don't know if you received the motherboard like this. But if the socket was fine upon arrival and caused by improper installation, they 100% have a right to reject your return.

1701397004710.png

Yep I don't shop there anymore. And if OP sent back a board with a damaged socket they're certainly within their rights to reject it. Most board manufacturers won't accept it for RMA either.
So you are assuming I damaged it?

Can you prove without a doubt that it was like that before you opened it?
Can you prove it wasn't? Don't play those games with me. I've installed many many CPUs and only damaged one socket from dropping the CPU into it. I ate that board as I should. This is not that.

Can you prove it wasn't? Don't play those games with me. I've installed many many CPUs and only damaged one socket from dropping the CPU into it. I ate that board as I should. This is not that.
Time for devil's advocate. As someone who has installed "many many CPUs", you should've immediately noticed the socket was messed up and not even bothered assembling the system. You're not a first time builder.

If you've already admitted to Newegg you've tested the system and it exhibits this behavior they know you've assembled it. This gives them the ability to blame it on you and reject the return. The likelihood of a brand new motherboard arriving with a damaged socket is very small (but it CAN happen). The likelihood of this being caused by CPU installation or mishandling the board- much more likely.

If you alerted them stating you didn't assemble the system and noticed it (or even if you did- told them this in chat/call) I feel like that's your best chance at having a successful return. I'm still not saying you caused this. Just do a Google on something like "Newegg rejecting return bent cpu socket" and you'll see plenty of examples of them denying returns for what's going on here.

Time for devil's advocate. As someone who has installed "many many CPUs", you should've immediately noticed the socket was messed up and not even bothered assembling the system. You're not a first time builder.

If you've already admitted to Newegg you've tested the system and it exhibits this behavior they know you've assembled it. This gives them the ability to blame it on you and reject the return. The likelihood of a brand new motherboard arriving with a damaged socket is very small (but it CAN happen). The likelihood of this being caused by CPU installation or mishandling the board- much more likely.

If you alerted them stating you didn't assemble the system and noticed it (or even if you did- told them this in chat/call) I feel like that's your best chance at having a successful return. I'm still not saying you caused this. Just do a Google on something like "Newegg rejecting return bent cpu socket" and you'll see plenty of examples of them denying returns for what's going on here.
I appreciate the "devils advocate" position. I'll see what Newegg says and if they choose poorly they will lose my business forever. Microcenter is only an hour away afterall.

Exactly, the bent pin should be pretty obvious, especially for someone that has a lot of experience putting machines together. If I saw that I would have immediately contacted newegg (would not have tried to install the CPU) and let them know. I wish you good luck with the process.

This is why I buy from Amazon whenever I can so I can have a much better chance of returning electronics for a full refund.

This is why I buy from Amazon whenever I can so I can have a much better chance of returning electronics for a full refund.
I've already ordered a replacement from Amazon because I didn't want to wait on shipping both ways. You bet I'm going to look more closely at the socket before I install the CPU this time. If I do get a replacement from Newegg I'll build another system to upgrade the wife's computer.

So you are assuming I damaged it?
I'm neutral here, not assuming anything. Just letting you know how those people typically operate. I've repaired many a bent pin/damaged socket and don't feel bad if you did make a mistake, it's incredibly easy.

I’ve built 4 14xxx systems in the past 2 months since the 14 series was released. I actually got a defective 14600KF that I tore my hair out troubleshooting. Multiple reseats, different mobos, different memory, different everything. The CPU would boot and stay up fine but would freeze as soon as memtest86 or Prime was ran. Memory speed didn’t matter. That SUCKED to troubleshoot.

YES, it’s possible to get a partially bad CPU. First time for after hundreds of builds. I also got 3 14600K/KF & 14900KF that are perfectly fine (with the original mobo and memory.)

‘They don’t make em like they used to.

Just to update everyone, I have a pending refund from Newegg. I have a replacement coming early this week from Amazon (Same board). If the problem persists it has to be the CPU. I'm hoping the board replacement covers it because I don't know what I did the the box for my CPU to do a return if it is defective.

Just to update everyone, I have a pending refund from Newegg. I have a replacement coming early this week from Amazon (Same board). If the problem persists it has to be the CPU. I'm hoping the board replacement covers it because I don't know what I did the the box for my CPU to do a return if it is defective.
All the info you need for a return is on the actual CPU. Might need a magnifying glass to see it but it's there.

All the info you need for a return is on the actual CPU. Might need a magnifying glass to see it but it's there.
^This. I've done CPU RMA's with Intel by just tossing the chip into a spare anti-static bag and the cheapest USPS flat rate box. No problems at all.

You sure it's not a memory compatibility issue? I had a Z690 Dark and a i3-12100 that took a week of fiddling to get the DDR5 to train, and I think I saw a similar issue (only POSTing with one channel) somewhere along the way.

You sure it's not a memory compatibility issue? I had a Z690 Dark and a i3-12100 that took a week of fiddling to get the DDR5 to train, and I think I saw a similar issue (only POSTing with one channel) somewhere along the way.
I tried two sets of DDR5 7600, a 48GB kit and a 32GB kit (both on QVL). After no POST with those two I tried a set of DDR5 5600 with the same results. Guess I'll know more when the replacement board gets here one day. Amazon says it will be here by the 7th but USPS says the 11th. If the same thing happens with the new board I'll RMA the CPU to Intel and probably go ahead and order a 14700k while I wait for the replacement. I don't think my NH-D15 will be enough for the 14700k so I'm kinda hoping everything just works so that I don't have to buy an expensive AIO.

I got the replacement board from Amazon (Newegg apparently) and everything is working as it should. I was sure to check the pins carefully first thing after taking the board out of the box this time. I've also got my refund from Newegg so everything is good now. I'm glad it wasn't the CPU for sure.

I got the replacement board from Amazon (Newegg apparently) and everything is working as it should. I was sure to check the pins carefully first thing after taking the board out of the box this time. I've also got my refund from Newegg so everything is good now. I'm glad it wasn't the CPU for sure.
In some cases, I'd prefer the CPU to be damaged over the motherboard. My CPU was only about half the price of my motherboard as an example.

Back