YouTube Stars Blindsided By Nintendo's Ad Revenue Grab

If they go to court they will lose. Nintendo owns its games and deserves to do what it wants and who/what wants to do what with them.

That being said Nintendo is shooting itself in the fucking foot time and time again by taking such a huge chunk compared to everyone else. It shows the usual shortsightedness Nintendo is famous for. Nintendo still doesn't understand the basics of the gaming industry. They live in their own bubble and refuse reality. Its why they are failing as a business now and can't be saved by the piggy bank they gained during the Wii years.

They will either adapt or die. Japanese kids don't care about home consoles anymore. They all have smartphones and don't have an interest in carrying around portable gaming consoles. Their own home market has completely changed. Western markets still love Nintendo products of if they had any sense they would adapt to suit them. Instead we get dumb shit like this.

I foresee a "Sega" like future for Nintendo. No way around that now. There last ditch attempt with whatever NX will be will fail. They should focus on great games and their other product lines and instead they are focusing on already failed hardware.

If they go to court they will lose. Nintendo owns its games and deserves to do what it wants and who/what wants to do what with them.

That being said Nintendo is shooting itself in the fucking foot time and time again by taking such a huge chunk compared to everyone else. It shows the usual shortsightedness Nintendo is famous for. Nintendo still doesn't understand the basics of the gaming industry. They live in their own bubble and refuse reality. Its why they are failing as a business now and can't be saved by the piggy bank they gained during the Wii years.

They will either adapt or die. Japanese kids don't care about home consoles anymore. They all have smartphones and don't have an interest in carrying around portable gaming consoles. Their own home market has completely changed. Western markets still love Nintendo products of if they had any sense they would adapt to suit them. Instead we get dumb shit like this.

I foresee a "Sega" like future for Nintendo. No way around that now. There last ditch attempt with whatever NX will be will fail. They should focus on great games and their other product lines and instead they are focusing on already failed hardware.

What do you mean compared to everyone else? They are the only ones that do this in the gaming industry some publishers even pay the steamers to stream their games iirc it's EA of all people.

This is simply Nintendo trying desperately to diversify their portfolio of products/services just like QoL, just like Amiibos, just like the Netflix Zelda deal, just like Virtual Console, just like them developing mobile games using their IP.

Not once has Nintendo ever done this much stuff in such a short span of time. I'd say I told everyone about this years ago now but there would be calls to lock the thread.

These youtubers should just flip the table and demand that Nintendo compensate them for playing their game in public.

Name an EA mascot.

John Madden from the 80s to early 2000s. CHECKMATE.
Commander Shepard. Mid 2000s to early 2010s. CHECKMATEx2.

EA has a ton of really popular 'mascots' that have been part of the company for years across advertising covers.

Wait, how does this relate to Nintendo and the article?

you are clueless

Sure they are making money off youtube and all that. It's just the content of most of these "stars" are equal parts nauseating and iq-draining. I'd like to know exactly who finds these videos entertaining so I can completely avoid them in real life.

ROFL. Nintendo is going to turn a higher profit this year than they did in 2010, when they were making double the revenue off the Wii's infinite sales. WiiU sales are up 50% FY 2013 to FY 2014.

This is no where near the position they had in the Gamecube days, where they had to drop the price to 99 USD to get 10% market share at the end. They're sitting at 28% market share at 300 USD right now with a great attach rate.

They're not winning, but they're not going to die off. People have been saying that for almost two decades. :rolleyes:

Sure they are making money off youtube and all that. It's just the content of most of these "stars" are equal parts nauseating and iq-draining. I'd like to know exactly who finds these videos entertaining so I can completely avoid them in real life.

Don't worry grandpa, the millions who are into liking something different that you didn't personally approve would rather avoid you as well.

Bahahaha.... idiots. That's what you get for asking to be trampled on. More sensible people said fuck you to this crap.

Angry Joe is also an idiot this time around. Recently did a video, even after Nintendo's been parading this crap. Now he's all mad like it wasn't expected.

I did not even watch this last "nintendo rant" video - skipped right over it. At this point he is just being a drama-queen. He made his point with his last video (which was not the first time nintendo has done things like that, from what I hear), and nothing has changed since then, but he nonetheless did another free advertisement video for nintendo and is now complaining again.

Geriatric ward at Nintendo thinks too lowly of Youtubers if believe this will fly.

I actually watched that pewdeepie video thing-y a few months ago and I wondered pretty much the same thing. I think there are two kinds of people who make Youtube video people into so-called stars. The first kind is really ancient old people around 40+ who are trying to trick themselves into thinking they're trendy and young still by watching Youtube videos, taking selfies, twerking their friends at LAN parties, and posting stuff on Facebook. Then there are younger kids who don't have any adult supervision and they basically stream videos all day on an old computer while playing games on another one thinking to themselves that using two computers at once makes them really cool and high tech because they're doing the same thing their multi-screen delusional parent is doing at his desk in his "man cave :rolleyes:"

Either way, yeah, both groups are like, "Yeah, I play e-sports so I'm an athletic because hand-eye coordination and mechanical keyboards are buff!" and it's a good idea to shun those sorts of people in the hopes that they normalize someday.

I actually watched that pewdeepie video thing-y a few months ago and I wondered pretty much the same thing. I think there are two kinds of people who make Youtube video people into so-called stars. The first kind is really ancient old people around 40+ who are trying to trick themselves into thinking they're trendy and young still by watching Youtube videos, taking selfies, twerking their friends at LAN parties, and posting stuff on Facebook. Then there are younger kids who don't have any adult supervision and they basically stream videos all day on an old computer while playing games on another one thinking to themselves that using two computers at once makes them really cool and high tech because they're doing the same thing their multi-screen delusional parent is doing at his desk in his "man cave :rolleyes:"

Either way, yeah, both groups are like, "Yeah, I play e-sports so I'm an athletic because hand-eye coordination and mechanical keyboards are buff!" and it's a good idea to shun those sorts of people in the hopes that they normalize someday.
I know you are generally trolling, but that isn't even remotely close to what esports is.

ROFL. Nintendo is going to turn a higher profit this year than they did in 2010, when they were making double the revenue off the Wii's infinite sales. WiiU sales are up 50% FY 2013 to FY 2014.

This is no where near the position they had in the Gamecube days, where they had to drop the price to 99 USD to get 10% market share at the end. They're sitting at 28% market share at 300 USD right now with a great attach rate.

They're not winning, but they're not going to die off. People have been saying that for almost two decades. :rolleyes:

They are profiting off mobile and Amiibos, their home console just finally started turning a profit mainly in game sales. Since they are likely not going to be able to drop the price much the rest of the gen and their sales have stagnated that 28% will drop month over month until it's EOL. Being up 50% sound nice but the system is doing about as well as the Saturn and Dreamcast did.

It won't sell more than 13-15 million units ltd. And while they can certainly turn a profit finally with those numbers it's obvious they are not solely relying on their next console to remain viable.

And as I've said they would rather burn their homes to the ground before giving Sony/MS royalties so that would happen anytime soon. However if their next console continues the trend and sales less than 7-8 million the writing should be on the wall for everyone to see.

Nintendo has alway used the portable to help. You make it sound all gloom and doom, but this isn't the worst spot Nintendo has been in. If sales fall this year maybe, but there's no reason for them too. Nintendo's games are always long term sellers. There's no reason they can't drop prices if they really feel like they need, they did it with the 3DS when pushed. 25 Million is where I see predictions pegging it, better than the GC.

You can't fault them on Amiibos, it's just DLC like everyone else now, even if I don't like it.

Nintendo has alway used the portable to help. You make it sound all gloom and doom, but this isn't the worst spot Nintendo has been in. If sales fall this year maybe, but there's no reason for them too. Nintendo's games are always long term sellers. There's no reason they can't drop prices if they really feel like they need, they did it with the 3DS when pushed. 25 Million is where I see predictions pegging it, better than the GC.

You can't fault them on Amiibos, it's just DLC like everyone else now, even if I don't like it.

I'm not calling doom and gloom for the company, they won't go bankrupt but their home console business needs something to change. I'd hope they went with a hybrid setup as that's the only thing I see breaking the trend tbh.

You're just as delusional as Nintendo was saying 9 million the first fiscal year. There is zero chance of it beating GameCube and it will be 8-10 million lower.

I'm not using the term delusional as a derogatory comment either, that is just false hope on the larger of terms. They would have to sell 800k units a month for 2 years and they are averaging 100k.

Yeah, I don't agree with everything Nintendo has done. I like the Pad, it's great for freeing up the TV, but it added too much to the cost with itself and having to have the hardware to stream to it.

A $200 dollar console, with no pad, able to play 3rd party games at 720p would have done much better. They do need 3rd party support but are too stubborn to admit it.

Gonna weigh in here again a bit heavier. Again, 9 times out of 10, I side with the streamer. Livestreaming brings huge marketing potential which you can't get elsewhere. And to be frank, Nintendo is not playing this out in a smart manner which will come back to bite them in the ass later.

That being said, I actually kind of side with Nintendo here. They are entitled to some kind of compensation, but from Let's Players only.

My reasoning is as follows, if it's a 5 to 10 minute (hell even 20 minute) youtube review, Nintendo isn't entitled to anything. It's an excerpt whic IMO should fall under fair use. You're getting opinions, comments and criticisms of the game.

If you're posting a full let's play, the dynamic changes a bit. While you do get opinions, comments, and criticisms, the scope is no longer commentary and critique, it's "lets play this game to completion with my fanbase" So instead of monetizing your opinion, you're now also monetizing Nintendo's effort for personal gain. It's a subtle but important difference.

I'm more lenient on Livestreamers, since it's more of a live event, people have to tune in (sure there are vods, but they tend to have lesser production value). CPM on ad-buy tends to be a lot more variable, and there's usually a variety of content going on. Livestreaming also tends to include more interaction and "activity" from the streamer which overall makes it harder for Nintendo to argue.

Nintendo's being draconian here, but sorry, the Youtuber's don't get to get off scott-free either.

It's like Mystery Science Theater for Let's Play's. Nobody sane would support that kind of channel being monetized.

Reviews should be exempt yeah.

Gonna weigh in here again a bit heavier. Again, 9 times out of 10, I side with the streamer. Livestreaming brings huge marketing potential which you can't get elsewhere. And to be frank, Nintendo is not playing this out in a smart manner which will come back to bite them in the ass later.

That being said, I actually kind of side with Nintendo here. They are entitled to some kind of compensation, but from Let's Players only.

My reasoning is as follows, if it's a 5 to 10 minute (hell even 20 minute) youtube review, Nintendo isn't entitled to anything. It's an excerpt whic IMO should fall under fair use. You're getting opinions, comments and criticisms of the game.

If you're posting a full let's play, the dynamic changes a bit. While you do get opinions, comments, and criticisms, the scope is no longer commentary and critique, it's "lets play this game to completion with my fanbase" So instead of monetizing your opinion, you're now also monetizing Nintendo's effort for personal gain. It's a subtle but important difference.

I'm more lenient on Livestreamers, since it's more of a live event, people have to tune in (sure there are vods, but they tend to have lesser production value). CPM on ad-buy tends to be a lot more variable, and there's usually a variety of content going on. Livestreaming also tends to include more interaction and "activity" from the streamer which overall makes it harder for Nintendo to argue.

Nintendo's being draconian here, but sorry, the Youtuber's don't get to get off scott-free either.

Thing is, most of us who do let's play style content do so as a live stream, then upload all those streams into YouTube. Most often the lets plays are small sections of the game though some take all those sessions and edit them together. The thing is, very few lets play videos exist without extensive commentary by the creator. You caked it right, Nintendo is being draconian about this. Very few developers at this point fight this kind of content because they realize it creates far more positive press freely for them. Whether Nintendo is technically right here is really irrelevant. The industry as a whole gave this type of content a pass years ago. Nintendo being the only one fighting it does nothing but hurt them.

Angry Joe is also an idiot this time around. Recently did a video, even after Nintendo's been parading this crap. Now he's all mad like it wasn't expected.

As I recall the same basic thing happened to him when he first got the WiiU so I don't know why he would be surprised.

I am guessing you guys don't actually watch Angry Joe or even use basic logic...being "angry" is kind of his thing. And no, he wasn't "surprised" that this happened (again), just disappointed. These are the kinds of videos he does.

I told AngryJoe if he's going to whine like a pregnant mule about it, take Nintendo to court over this

Guessing you didn't watch the full video either, because he says right in the video that legally Nintendo can do this. It's just a shitty, greedy move that is going to ultimately hurt them in the long run because no other game companies are doing this, and are instead embracing social media / YouTube for free advertising. Apparently that isn't enough for Nintendo.

You can still do let's plays. You just can't monetize them.

Let's Plays were just done because you liked the game. Now they have to have their quick buck too. If someone tried to do a Mystery Science Theater-esque channel it be gone in a second. Let's Play's aren't that different from that.

Let's Plays were just done because you liked the game. Now they have to have their quick buck too. If someone tried to do a Mystery Science Theater-esque channel it be gone in a second. Let's Play's aren't that different from that.

this is probably the best response I've seen here on this and really makes the most sense out of it.

It's still FREE advertising for the developer.

That changes nothing about what I said. Everything good you say about X is free advertising for X. You haven't refuted anything about how it's like MST. Especially for RPGs and other story based games. If someone did a Let's Play of a Telltale game, with annotation links on choices, there'd be zero reason to buy the game.

People did Let's Play before all this shit happened and they'll keep doing them afterwards. Some people still like to play video games and don't need to be paid to do it. People still do screenshot Let's Plays even.

http://lparchive.org/

How many people actually watch this shit? I know Joe has millions of subscribers and I'm one of them. I subscribed back when he interviewed MS at E3 before the XB1 came out and haven't been back since. Who the hell wants to watch someone play a game on YouTube? Play the damn game!

I don't see how this is going to have much of an impact on Nintendo, other than a bunch of butthurt turds screaming about how they can't make money by streaming Nintendo's products and threatening yet another sign of Nintendo's impending doom.

Hugs,
Grandpa

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that Nintendo has a right to do it. I certainly think they have every right, it's just that no other company does it and some even pay the streamers.

It just Nintendo being out of touch really and it will be interesting to see if any other company takes the same approach or how it will affect Nintendo.

Nintendo is screwing their fans (who make those videos and watch those videos), and saying no thanks to all the free advertising/publicity.

Screw them.

I believe that clips of both video and audio are legal to be used when part of an all-new creation. And the new creator has copyright on that. (My understanding, might need clarification from a lawyer).

Nintendo is screwing their fans (who make those videos and watch those videos), and saying no thanks to all the free advertising/publicity.

Screw them.

I believe that clips of both video and audio are legal to be used when part of an all-new creation. And the new creator has copyright on that. (My understanding, might need clarification from a lawyer).

No they're not. Can still be done without making money on it. And I think the value of said advertising/publicity is vastly overstated.

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that Nintendo has a right to do it. I certainly think they have every right, it's just that no other company does it and some even pay the streamers.

It just Nintendo being out of touch really and it will be interesting to see if any other company takes the same approach or how it will affect Nintendo.

No, Sony and Microsoft are both doing it for their own reasons.

Sony's electronics division is on their last legs. They have a good thing going with the PS4, and they want to move units and improve the world's previous experiences with PlayStation Network.

If the PS4 fails, it will likely be the last console Sony releases. They already dropped too much money on the PS3 mountain to keep that lug rolling, and lost tons of money on the overpowered and overpriced PS Vita, bringing the mobile games division crashing down.

Microsoft is also open to streamers because Xbox is all they have, and The One (TM) is everything except the game console 360 owners were looking for. It does nothing the 360 does not except for the better social media integration, so you can bet they're pushing that angle.

After all, if Microsoft gets knocked out of this and a few more console generations, they might have to stop pouring money down the hole trying to buy a market, and go back to proclaiming the PC to be the best gaming platform on the market.

Nintendo is the only company with a horse in the dedicated console race that started out in the entertainment industry. They were a toy and gaming company before they ever made an arcade game, then home console. They still make just as much money off off toys/media and other garbage as they do selling software.

Nintendo believes that you can still move more mountains with traditional media than with crowdpleasers like Twitch, and that's why they have offered such poor terms: they look at this as just another entity who wants a piece of their massive entertainment business.

The fact that this is legal doesn't also stop the fact that it is stupid, but that is currently par for the Nintendo Course :rolleyes:

How are they blindsided by this? Nintendo said months ago they were doing this, they then turned around and did it.

That is like seeing a sign STOP AHEAD. and then being thrown off when you come to a stop sign.

While I disagree with the amount I don't see where they are 100% in the wrong. You can't air a TV show or movie on Youtube so airing a game should be no different if the content creator says so. They own the characters and material that you are using. At one point they were taking 100%, then they backed down and now came back wanting 40%. On the other hand, stop doing stuff with Nintendo content. They claim that people are making money off of their content due to the source material. Thus people get views to see a Zelda game being played or a Mario game being played. Switch to a non Nintendo game lineup. If you don't get as many views then guess what, they are right and the game is part of why you are getting views and they have a right to request money for that. If you don't notice a hit then you are fine and will make your money off of other games and it hurts Nintendo not having people play their games as much for Lets Plays which means there is more hype for other games then.

They're sitting at 28% market share at 300 USD right now with a great attach rate.

You know that this is impossible, dontcha?

Worldwide sales of the XB1 surpassed the WiiU long ago, and the PS4 worldwide is selling roughly 2:1 vs the XB1

100% - 28% = 72%

72% / (2+1) = 24%

According to your 28% pulled from your behind then MS would have 24% and PS4 would have around 48%, putting the XB1 under the WiiU.

In reality at the beginning of the year we had this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

Since that is shipment data, then we can compare it with what was know about XB1 and PS4 shipment, 10m and 19m respectively, with WiiU's 6.68m

Total consoles on market= 10+19+6.68 = 35.68m

Market share= 100 * 6.68/35.68 = 8.315%

You said 28%, reality says under 10%...

I don't think the advertising Nintendo gets in these videos is overrated. This just makes Nintendo look greedy and hurts their fanbase.

Kripparrian is one of my favorite streamers and whenever he played a new game, I always wanted to try it because he made it look so fun. First it was PoE, then Grim Dawn, Van Helsing. So I bought those games and had fun with them myself. Although nowadays all Kripp plays is Casualstone. Kappa

I don't think the advertising Nintendo gets in these videos is overrated. This just makes Nintendo look greedy and hurts their fanbase.

Kripparrian is one of my favorite streamers and whenever he played a new game, I always wanted to try it because he made it look so fun. First it was PoE, then Grim Dawn, Van Helsing. So I bought those games and had fun with them myself. Although nowadays all Kripp plays is Casualstone. Kappa

So Wii U sales would be worse had Nintendo implemented this policy long before now? I doubt it. And if you believe the Nintendo-hater mantra that all they do is release the same Mario/Zelda/whatever game over and over again, why do people need to see somebody streaming it to know whether they want to buy it or not? Again, the value of this so-called amazing service game streamers are providing Nintendo isn't much.

So Wii U sales would be worse had Nintendo implemented this policy long before now? I doubt it. And if you believe the Nintendo-hater mantra that all they do is release the same Mario/Zelda/whatever game over and over again, why do people need to see somebody streaming it to know whether they want to buy it or not? Again, the value of this so-called amazing service game streamers are providing Nintendo isn't much.

I know a few people like myself that watch streams play games before buying them. When it is a game I am on the fence about, I always watch some streams before buying it. Watching people play a game is a lot more useful to me compared to reading a review.

I know a few people like myself that watch streams play games before buying them. When it is a game I am on the fence about, I always watch some streams before buying it. Watching people play a game is a lot more useful to me compared to reading a review.

There have been a couple of those old people play whatever videos that have convinced me to eventually get the game.

Well you can continue to do so from people who stream Nintendo games without profiting from it.

Well you can continue to do so from people who stream Nintendo games without profiting from it.

And who would those people be? Nearly every decent streamer on Twitch has subscriptions or accepts donations, so they profit from streaming videos. Most YouTube game players with enough views to actually show up in search results also profit from ads on their videos. There is no YouTube filter for "Only show me the people not profiting from their videos".

Back