[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

Damn, that Silverstone SG04 is perfect. Definitely the first case I can see myself spending over $100 for.

I first followed the link posted here and kept thinking "Dammit, if only it didn't have that ugly mesh grill on the side and that stupid handle" - and then went directly to Silverstone's site to see the newer version. YES!

Like the rest of you I'm patiently awaiting when the handle-less model is available, nothing yet.

From http://www.techpowerup.com/index.php?78030
sugo1yl6.jpg

sugo2jm9.jpg

sugo3qd6.jpg

Not for me since I like my expandability. Mini Lanbox much?

Im not a big fan of this case. Looks like a power supply to me.

awesome case, i want one for my next PC.

Lynfield with Win7 and a .40nm DX11 card. hehe, fun times.

i presume the CPU cooling works on the same principle as the other sugo's, with the fanless SST cooler sitting under the PSU fan?

how big will the PSU fan be?

i presume the CPU cooling works on the same principle as the other sugo's, with the fanless SST cooler sitting under the PSU fan?

how big will the PSU fan be?

These SFX PSUs are small and the single, small fan in them wouldn't be enough to cool a C2D or C2Q processor in there. If using a mITX board with Atom processor or a similar low voltage processor, it might be enough.

These SFX PSUs are small and the single, small fan in them wouldn't be enough to cool a C2D or C2Q processor in there. If using a mITX board with Atom processor or a similar low voltage processor, it might be enough.

hmm just seen that they officially list the case now and state the fan as being 80mm (thanks above).

i think it would be fine with a 95 Watt quad, especially with the new SST sugo cooler.

Not exactly bad looking in my opinion but yeah, it does remind me of a PSU unit in looks. :D If I did the mm-->inches conversion correctly you cant put in a video card longer than 9.2 inches. HTPC users wont need the bigger gamer cards though.

I think they said 9.5 inches on the SST site (which would be 241.3mm). think a 4850 will fit in there, along with a couple of the non-reference 4870's.

God, I hope that's just a few fuckin' typos on Silverstone's website:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_spec.php?pno=SG05&area=usa
+3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 +12V3 +12V4 +5VSB -12V -5V
Ripple(mVp-p) 70mV 70mV 140mV 140mV / / 70mV 70mV /

That far exceeds the ATX12V 2.2 PSU specs's maximum ripple level of 50mV on the the non +12V rails and 120mV on the +12V rail. Meaning that the PSU could potentially harm your system with that high of ripple.

Hmm, time for email to Silverstone....

hmm just seen that they officially list the case now and state the fan as being 80mm (thanks above).

i think it would be fine with a 95 Watt quad, especially with the new SST sugo cooler.

I don't think an 80mm fan would be anywhere near enough for a 95W C2Q. I had a Q9300 at stock clock speeds and it ran pretty warm all the time, at full load, it was at the 80s.

That was with an NT06 and an ST70F, which has a 135mm fan.

However, Intel is releasing 65W Core 2 Quads which should do nicely in that case. Not sure about the clearance on coolers, but it looks like it'd be about the same as the other Sugos. So I'm thinking it can probably handle a Zalman or something like that which should get the job done.

you may be right, i am a little disappointed in the fan tbh, i liked the SUGO 03 precisely because it ws an all 120mm setup, as i dislike small whiney fans.

maybe the 03 is as small as i will go.

80mm fans are whiny? Guess you haven't heard of low speed Nexus', Noctuas, Sharkoons, Gelids...

the 80mm fan in the PSU, the one that needs to shift lots of air because it sits above the CPU.

You should see LiLi's mITX case; it's terrible compared to this.
The PC-402? That hasn't been available in ages. Screwy power supply didn't help, but the glass door on the front looked decent (to me at least), and the other small stuff like the motherboard tray add up. I would still take the SG05 over it though (not that you'll have an easy time finding the PC-402 anyway).

The PC-402? That hasn't been available in ages. Screwy power supply didn't help, but the glass door on the front looked decent (to me at least), and the other small stuff like the motherboard tray add up. I would still take the SG05 over it though (not that you'll have an easy time finding the PC-402 anyway).

The PC-Q7.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...S:official&hs=joj&q=Lian+Li+PC-Q7&btnG=Search

http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/443401-new-lian-li-pc-v351-pc.html
Shot from behind (clickable):

Doesn't exactly look nearly as small as the SG05. I do like the looks though. Certainly an improvement over the PC-402 (the only Lian Li mITX case I remember...though it is ~6 years old now). Must be rather new as I haven't seen it on Lian Li's website.

I got mine. I would post pics but i have to remount my components to fit a larger heatsink on my J&W minix. This case will require a massive amount of cable management so that the airflow which was the cases main selling point is not effectively negated. the power supply has way to many cables then is necessary of a case this size plus the cables are longer then the need to be. Oh, well nothing that zip ties and twist ties can't fix. The power supply is a FSP unit, if that matters, not a silverstone PS. Looks to have more clearance that they state for heatsinks. I will be mounting This Heatsink I have measured it to be 62mm tall w/o fan I don't believe a 25mm fan will clear the power supply but a 20mm appears to give plenty of clearance. If you plan on using a 3.5" the mount is actually between 1-2mm lower than the power supply. So by my math the max clearance for heatsinks is actually more than silverstone states but less than 87mm. I will of course test this theory when i mount the heatsink. I will let you guys know what i find. I know alot of people eye this case not just for better airflow but better cooling than 1u heatsinks allow

I also would like to add that the build quality is inferior to the Apex MI100 i was using. The metal gauge is lower and lots of sharp corners are present. Be sure to be careful in mounting the slim optical drive. it comes with the smallest screws imaginable to mount the drive so don't lose them. Be especially careful not to over tighten the screws or the optical drive wont open or close (non slot loading drives).

The case leds have the brightness of a small star so those that abhor bright leds (like me) will want to stealth them with tape. You know the led is bright when you can see it through black electrical tape.

A slim ide optical drive adapter is included. The manual was not clear if it was optional or came with the case but it does indeed come with it. I bought a slim ide to sata adapter from newegg so i could go sata for everything but it is nice that the case comes with the ide adapter.

I finally got my cables routed and the new heatsink mounted. As i suspected, the clearance silverstone states of 78mm is quite conservative. I mounted the heatsink (62mm w/o fan) and a yate loon 120x20mm fan and it just fits under the power supply. There appears to be a 1mm gap between the 3.5 hdd cage and the fan. The power supply appears to have a clearnce of +1mm more than the hdd cage (2mm total). It is as tight as i feel comfortable to mount a heatsink.

I cannot tell if the power supply is sucking the air out of the case or pulling air in. I went with the airflow pictures that silverstone provided and assumed it was sucking air out. I have turned the fan on the heatsink so it sucks air off the heatsink. It actually works quite well this way as there are ample top vents on the case so what ever air does not get sucked through the power supply goes out the vent holes at the top. It has vent holes on both sides as well. With the air from the front fan blowing on the heatsink and the fan pulling air off the heatsink blowing upwards i have lopped a whole 40C off my temps coming from a 1u solid copper heatsink (w/ dual 80mm x15mm fans under volted to 5v). :eek:

The the power supply is very quiet. The fan does spin up when im running prime95 and all the hot air off the processor is being pushed into the power supply but even then does not get loud at all. Those that were concerned that the 80mm fan in the power supply will be loud should rest assured. It may not be up to SPCR standards for silence but it most definitely quiet enough for 85-90% of peoples needs.

So in conclusion 62mm+20mm= 82mm looks to be the max height for a heatsink fan combo if you plan on using a 3.5" hdd. If not, you might squeeze another mm or two but unless you either go with a pico psu or don't mind having you heatsink fan combo touching the power supply that's it. I hope my observations have been helpful and i should be able to get some pics later.

Processor: 7750 x2 Black Edition
Video card: Sapphire HD4670

Old temps
1U dynatron A46G Link

Vcore set 1.25 (1.3 actual) Idle 40-42C Load 66-70C

New Temps
COOLER MASTER GeminII S Link
removed stock fan added
YATE LOON 120x120x20mm Case Fan - D12SL-12C Low Speed Link

Vcore set 1.25 (1.3 actual) Idle 22-24C Load 30-32C

Temps confirmed with both speed fan and Core temp

Stock case intake fan (silverstone 1200rpm)has been removed.
New intake fan added:

YATE LOON 120x120x20mm Case Fan - D12SM-12C Medium Speed Link

I am going to replace the stock 4670 heatsink (loud) with a Zalman VF700 CU and run it at 5v for lower noise. I assume it will cool the 4670 adequately.

My J&W board needs a bios update to recognize the processor as a black edition but so far I have tested a vcore range of up to 1.45 with out over breaking 45c and load so i overclocking on itx may not be a dream after all. I am currently priming at 3.2 @ 1.375 vcore( actual 1.4 its load has gone up to 41c.) I don't have any idea how high this processor will go but the J&W itx board has a tendency to over volt the vcore .15-.25 above bios settings (no vdroop here;))

Wow, the SG05 shows tremendous promise, but it isn't ready for prime time.

What I love about it: perfect size. They have shrunk the SG01/SG03 in HALF yet can still drop in a 2TB 3.5" hard drive, slim blue ray drive, and a gaming graphics card. Some people who want to fit more stuff in their box can buy a bigger case. This one offers a perfect balance of compactness and expansion. Now just have to keep our fingers crossed we get some nice Core i7 in Mini-ITX and the graphics card makers develop future power house cards in 9".

What needs to change before I would buy one:

1. It's made out of cheap metal. This isn't up to Silverstones standards. Make it all aluminum
2. It's black. I hate black. My walls aren't black, my carpet isn't black, my desk isn't black and so why do I want an ugly black slug sitting there? I miss the ivory days but simply machined aluminum like other cases will do.
3. Having a built in power supply is a good idea since the power demands are going to be fairly consistent and it can have optimal short cables to match its size. Reading other reviews, they haven't customized the lengths yet. Until they do this, having a built in PSU is pointless.

I hate black cases as well and wish more companies would start bringing back / start making the silver brushed aluminum cases again.

Wow, the SG05 shows tremendous promise, but it isn't ready for prime time.

What I love about it: perfect size. They have shrunk the SG01/SG03 in HALF yet can still drop in a 2TB 3.5" hard drive, slim blue ray drive, and a gaming graphics card. Some people who want to fit more stuff in their box can buy a bigger case. This one offers a perfect balance of compactness and expansion. Now just have to keep our fingers crossed we get some nice Core i7 in Mini-ITX and the graphics card makers develop future power house cards in 9".

What needs to change before I would buy one:

1. It's made out of cheap metal. This isn't up to Silverstones standards. Make it all aluminum
2. It's black. I hate black. My walls aren't black, my carpet isn't black, my desk isn't black and so why do I want an ugly black slug sitting there? I miss the ivory days but simply machined aluminum like other cases will do.
3. Having a built in power supply is a good idea since the power demands are going to be fairly consistent and it can have optimal short cables to match its size. Reading other reviews, they haven't customized the lengths yet. Until they do this, having a built in PSU is pointless.

So is the metal pretty flimsy, like the metal bends?

I got mine. I would post pics but i have to remount my components to fit a larger heatsink on my J&W minix. This case will require a massive amount of cable management so that the airflow which was the cases main selling point is not effectively negated. the power supply has way to many cables then is necessary of a case this size plus the cables are longer then the need to be. Oh, well nothing that zip ties and twist ties can't fix. The power supply is a FSP unit, if that matters, not a silverstone PS. Looks to have more clearance that they state for heatsinks. I will be mounting This Heatsink I have measured it to be 62mm tall w/o fan I don't believe a 25mm fan will clear the power supply but a 20mm appears to give plenty of clearance. If you plan on using a 3.5" the mount is actually between 1-2mm lower than the power supply. So by my math the max clearance for heatsinks is actually more than silverstone states but less than 87mm. I will of course test this theory when i mount the heatsink. I will let you guys know what i find. I know alot of people eye this case not just for better airflow but better cooling than 1u heatsinks allow

where did you get your SG05?

well its not that it is ultra flimsy but i was surprised that compared to the Apex MI100 i had the metal was not nearly as thick. The cover is all one piece and yes if you putting more than average pressure on it will bend. The overall structure of the case besides the cover is about average for a low budget case thickness wise. I have had cases that will bend if you look at them the wrong way but this is not one of them. The cover is kind of a pain to get re attached because of the tendency of the metal to not stay rigid.

The 3.5 hard drive mount is a pain to reattach with a hard drive mounted and the power supply in the case. The bundle of cables coming from the power supply interferes with a easy reattachment. I recommend either a. cable management of the power supply cables, or b. install the power suppply after you have mounted the 3.5" hdd or c. forgo the 3.5 for a 2.5 hdd before reattaching the hard drive cage.

I got mine from aerocooler while they still had stock.

I suppose your right it should be better build quality for the price but the extra cooling and space for bigger heatsinks make up for it. Really if you want i high performance itx box and want a good balance of size and cooling capability it really is the only choice.

So far so good priming my 7750 @ 3.2 (idle temps 30c load 43c @ 1.4 vcore) not bad ocing for a itx system. I could try for higher but it would need more vcore than i willing to subject a itx box.

NCIXUS has/had em in stock. Just ordered 4...hopefully they had at least 4...and not just 1. As far as the long wiring, you can always get a pin pusher and shorten all the wiring and custom fit it for your build, not really that difficult.

edit:

They had 3 in stock and those are coming to me. My 4th one is backordered.

Found a bunch of these at a local store.
With discount of $2 it was $95. Not including tax.

And on with the unboxing!

Full gallery: here!

Unboxing:
IMG_5348_thumb.jpg

IMG_5349_thumb.jpg

IMG_5350_thumb.jpg

IMG_5351_thumb.jpg

IMG_5353_thumb.jpg

IMG_5356_thumb.jpg

IMG_5357_thumb.jpg

IMG_5359_thumb.jpg

By now some of you might wonder how big this thing is compared to a shuttle KPC:

IMG_5366_thumb.jpg

You might also wonder how many Silverstone cases I have?

IMG_5361_thumb.jpg

I actually have 1 more in the media center cabinant. Build log: here.
Gallery here.

It's a one eyed monster!

The SG05 is much smaller than I thought. Looks just a tiny bit larger than the K45 / K48 Shuttle KPCs.

Got the cases, zotac itx mobo and my 4850 vid card. Thought the case would be just barely long enough for the vid card since silverstone only claims (at least what I read on NCIXUS.com) to fit 9" vid cards and the 4850 I got is 9.5"s , but there was more then enough length for the vid card. I measure just under 10.5" of usable space.

If it is not appearant from the pic, the fan is behind the vid card and not at all in the way. The vid card can be nearly another 1" longer and still fit.

Also, pretty decent space between the CPU area and the PSU...unlike the MI-100 I was using which had the psu sitting right on top of the very slim heatsink/fan I was using on the cpu. This case is really not much bigger then the MI-100, but should cool far better and allow for much more choices in heatsinks for the cpu..

That's a pic of the mobo in the case with the psu installed. Will diffinently have to cut the wiring and shorten it though, but was planning on doing that in order to sleeve it anyway.

Back