Yet another article to discuss piracy. I tip my hat to Team Meat.

QES

[H]ard|Gawd
Just read this short interview with Ed McMillen, Piraters Pay Up in Light of Team Meat Interview. I believe more companies need to take a similar mentality. Some key points I really thought were good:

We were actually taken a back by the number of positive comments we got about speaking honestly on this issue and I think the response goes hand in hand with the idea that people don't like being lied to or talked down to. When you show the public respect, they give you that respect back.
I think if you look at this logically, the vast majority of people who pirate stuff but never really expect to buy anything can be viewed as a group that can be swayed to "advertise" your product if they like it. What I mean is, I firmly believe that when this group of people pirates something, and they love it, they will go out of their way to talk about how much they do and in turn get other people to buy it. I've witnessed this countless times by many people including myself, and this is why I strongly believe piracy can be very good for some games.

Times have changed, piracy isn't shop lifting and shouldn't be treated as such. This is a digital age and we are just now learning how things work, I personally believe with time the vast majority of piracy issues will be fixed, not by fighting it but by innovating around it like the companies I've mentioned.

[H] Members thoughts on this? I know many of you agree. But still, let's hear your opinions.

i agree with the last quote. This is a digital age. All games will be bought online. I'll buy a game online but they need to lower the 60 dollar price. I think all games should be 30. I think more people would buy them then

There's so much common sense in the first line quoted no one should even need to mention it, but unfortunately, the big gaming companies just don't get it. People like Crytek and Cliff B of Epic should learn something from that

And yeah, I generally agree with everything that's being said.

Piracy won't matter nearly as much years to come as every major release will be "on the cloud" or "always connected". Basically every company will be "big brother" and they will be watching. Hackers/Piraters will have to get much better than a simple CD Key Gen or a Crack... They'll have to spoof packets, update as often as games are patched (including mini patches which I see on games like TF2 constantly), etc etc.

Back